Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

1/22/19 11:12 AM

Continental GP 5000 'TL'

Anyone rolling on these yet?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

1/23/19 2:28 PM

Heck, I've just finally worn out all of my spare GP4000S tires and switched completely to the GP4000S II . It's going to be a while before I need more rubber and I don't plan to switch to the 5000 until then.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/23/19 2:49 PM

Yeah, I still have some 25mm 4K ii on the wall too. I slowed the use of the GPs with a bunch Hutchinson for 20.00 each that have surprised me.

The Lynskey has 23mm Schwalbe 1 tubeless, and I was spying the 5k TL. But at 65.00 each as the best price I can find, not likely anytime soon I guess.

My fav go fast [relative] set up is the 19x622 rims with the GP4kii with latex tubes... But the 28mm Fusion 5s with latex are a very close second. They are about the same size as the 25mm GP4kii inflated.

dfcas

1/24/19 9:09 AM

I had some nasty sidewall failures on Contis way back and lost my taste for the brand. I'm sure the tires they have now are much better, but I just can't bring myself to consider Contis these days.

Brian Nystrom

1/24/19 10:36 AM

I've been riding the GP4000S for quite a few years now and I've had zero problems with them and no casing cuts.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/24/19 10:42 AM

Same here with GP4 and GP4ii. VG on all accounts including wear. The Vitt Paves OTOH wore while I looked at them...

Craig

1/24/19 12:01 PM

quote:
Same here with GP4 and GP4ii. VG on all accounts including wear. The Vitt Paves OTOH wore while I looked at them...

But the Vittorias ride oh so nicely......

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/24/19 1:48 PM

Especially with latex tubes, but @ 15.00 more per tire even at discounted prices I am done with them.

I get like 500 miles on a rear most. Pushing a GP4k I can triple that, and flat less as well.

The 27mm Paves with Latex 'feel' is noticeably sublime as compared to the GP4K/latex to me.

I have 28mm Sector tubeless on WH-6800 wheels that are not even as sweet.

dddd

1/25/19 1:03 PM

Those cotton Vittoria tires are like velvet, and the 23's measure 24mm on 15mm Shimano rims.
Bummer that the color-stripe versions seem to be out of production.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/25/19 3:23 PM

"Bummer that the color-stripe versions seem to be out of production."

I grabbed some double green striped version of the Paves in 25 and 27mm as I saw clearances before they disappeared, 38-48 space bucks per tire. I went thru them fast, but having said that they felt so nice I would not ride anything else for a while. So maybe I piled more miles on them than I realized. Last two new ones, a 25 front and 27 rear are on the Reynolds 753 bike. I have a few with cuts and some thread hanging with the used but to stingy to toss hook on the wall. ;)

Hard to beat the GP4Kii for the 33.50 I paid for them. The Fusion 3 and 5s I paid 20.00 a pop for and like them with latex just fine. And not flatted one yet.

But when tires start out with less than 3mm thread, how long before they become flat prone really. ;)

KerryIrons

1/26/19 9:45 AM

Mileage

quote:
I get like 500 miles on a rear most. Pushing a GP4k I can triple that, and flat less as well.

Tire mileage is very specific to rider power output and road surface conditions, but I almost always get over 3500 miles on a GP 4000 IIs before the wear indicators disappear.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/26/19 11:17 AM

Weight of rider I guess. I usually take off when I get a few flats in a row. As I said, they start 2.8mm thick, when they get to a point I start getting punctures.

When I am 230 lb. I sure go thru rear tires. But I am working on that more seriously since the cardio dr office pageant of 2018. under 200 here I come... But I still expect a 190-200lb rider will wear race tires pretty fast.

I am guessing at that number, I do not use a cycling computer actually.

Brian Nystrom

1/27/19 11:47 AM

Since I use sealant in my tires, I almost never get flats. I usually change rear tires when I see cords coming through the tread. The front get moved to the rear and is replaced with a new tire, to make sure I always have the grippiest rubber on the front. As for mileage, it's probably similar to what Kerry gets, perhaps a bit more due to the rotation.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/27/19 12:51 PM

Qualifier Brian please:

"I've been riding the GP4000S for quite a few years now"

"Since I use sealant in my tires, I almost never get flats."

Sealant in GP4K, thinking not. So what tires are you using sealant in. I did the latex with sealant thing for a season, not worth the weight and having to toss a latex tube after sealant dries in it.

Sparky

1/27/19 12:53 PM

"I usually change rear tires when I see cords coming through the tread."

I usually pull rear when flats start and/or obvious flat spot has developed, sometimes put the flat spotted tire on the front, if not left on rear too long due to good luck and no flats rear..

I almost never get front flats. [until next ride now that I said that]. And am having a great run on no flats for quite a while now, dare I say.

I give the credit of no flat to my swapping Pro4 SC off after winter and not using 'lighter/faster" tires until roads are clean and dry etc.

I pulled [4] Service Courses yesterday, perhaps prematurely, but I take the disc bike with 35mm and 42mm tires if it get too wet. Good therapy pushing sealant filled 42s. Get real 'tired' of it after 20 miles though. ;)

More non rainy days this month that wet ones, el nino? So road bikes getting used way more than most Januaries, all since I have been here really...

Brian Nystrom

1/27/19 2:56 PM

I use sealant in everything. I don't use latex tubes, so the sealant probably lasts longer due to less inflation/deflation of the tires. I don't use anywhere near the recommended quantity of sealant, since it's an unnecessary waste, it adds unnecessary weight and it increases the likelihood of developing "oysters" or balls of latex in the tires.

Last edited by Brian Nystrom on 1/28/19 7:48 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/27/19 7:45 PM

Tell us more. So butyl tubes, ultra light or regular etc? What size tires, how much of which sealants you are getting results you like etc.

I think I read the GP5K TL does not require sealant as tubeless.

Brian Nystrom

1/28/19 8:12 AM

In the 25mm GPs on my road bikes, I typically use Vittoria Ultralite tubes with 10-15cc of Stans regular sealant. The wheels on my other bikes (Gravel, MTB, Fat) are pretty much all tubeless. In 40mm tires, I use ~20cc of sealant, in 2.1" MTB tires, around 30cc and in the fat bike, something like 50-60cc, though I'm not that precise about it.

As far as I'm concerned, running any tubeless tire without sealant is asking for trouble. While they should seal to the rim just fine without it, you're still likely to get flats. The main reason I run sealant is to prevent flats. Case in point, we did a fat bike beach ride on Saturday and one of the guys I was with was running tubeless without sealant, and he got a flat. Fortunately, it was only a couple of miles from the finish and he elected to just walk it. Fixing fat bike flats is a bitch under any circumstances and trying to fix one on a beach would have been a real ordeal.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -