CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Anyone here use the Federal Tax credit for...
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

12/15/18 6:48 PM

Anyone here use the Federal Tax credit for...

EV or Plug in hybrid?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dddd

12/19/18 5:52 PM

Bought this one last week. Do you think that I can get a tax credit for it?
I mean, what about conservation of resources, I literally saved this one from the junk yard, it was sitting under a tree with a "free" sign on it!
And it passed smog, needs only to get caught up on 35k miles worth of minor TLC items, and hadn't been started in years.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/19/18 6:09 PM

How many hours into it cleaning before you shot the pic.

Those are living rooms on wheels, one of the easiest car to fall asleep driving.

We bought a Marquis [same chassis] in 2003. I used it to do a few TN/NJ/TN trips tying up my consulting contracts. Zero fatigue for a straight thru 1000 miler each way. ;)

Kept moving on the highway I was seeing 16.5 MPG too.

dddd

12/19/18 6:50 PM

Honestly I'd only put maybe 4 hours of cosmetic work into it at that point, but have followed up with another few hours to address the top surfaces and trim issues. The interior took up several hours as well, much cleaning and had to re-attach the headliner fabric using clear silicone glue with good results.

You're right, it's like driving the sofa down the highway, and I love the effortless steering and quietude. I am getting at least 23mpg in steady-state freeway droning, but which falls off sharply with each cold start and with any stop and go driving.
It has a rattle coming through the steering wheel at 55mph, some of which was set off by temporary flat-spotting of the tires. There is a looseness there and I've learned online that the stabilizer bar link bushings are the usual culprit.
I've got three power window repairs to address and must re-apply clear coat over some large patches where fortunately the paint is still intact with not a trace of rust.
A 160mA parasitic draw on the battery while at rest also needs diagnosis, I didn't find it while pulling fuses with an ammeter connected inline with the battery.
This one was the last year of the longer 1991-1997chassis, and is as you said a "Panther platform" car that shares all vitals with the Grand Marquis and Crown Vic.

Sorry to hijack your thread. The Toyota in back is new to me as well, but isn't a Hybrid.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/19/18 7:20 PM

"Sorry to hijack your thread. "

Ain't no thang..

We found out the Honda Claris Plug-in Hybrid was eligible for a 7500.00 fed tax credit, and 750.00 State.

If we had not just got the Fit 9 months ago we might have considered it seriously. But no way around that it is twice the price of the Fit. But the $8250.00 tax credit made it worth at least a consider.

FWIW, we got a full set of winter wheels/tires for the Fit for the winter. Did not opt for studs, which was an option. The origs are very closed tread quiet highway tread.

I fully expected these would be louder and loose some MPG. Neither happened. We did however loose about 1 MPG average with the defroster deployed [A/C compressor on], and not more with these tires. They are no loud either.
The rain performance in standing of puddled low spots is fantastic. The water can get out from under them. ;)

So we are just over 40, the 41.4 fell away with the A/C on all the time for defrosting purposes. ;)

dddd

12/19/18 11:53 PM

I just figured out today that the windshield defroster mode cycles the AC compressor, which answers the mystery why the windows fogged up when later I turned on the heat this evening.

Those rebates are huge, the gov't really wants people to buy hybrids!
Is that the same gov't that was formery giving "commercial use" rebates to anyone who bought an SUV that was "over 5000 pounds"?
Just try to make sense of that.

The Camry it is said has the highest domestic content of any car available.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/20/18 12:34 AM

"Camry it is said has the highest domestic content"

Depends on when, no? [what model years]

Brian Nystrom

12/20/18 6:44 AM

Dealing with A/C and defroster

Coupling the A/C to the defroster is another semi-stupid idea from the same government idiots that mandate ABS and other unnecessary junk. While it's helpful for defogging the inside of the windshield, it's counterproductive when you need heat to clear frost/snow/ice from the outside of the windshield, as it reduces the temperature of the heated air. Duh!

Fortunately, my current vehicle allows for decoupling of the A/C (through a bit of button pushing), so I can decide when I need it and when I don't. Sparky, check your owner's manual to see if you have that option, too. If not, I found it really easy to splice a switch into the A/C circuit in my previous vehicle and perhaps you could too, if you're so inclined.

Reply to topic    

dddd

12/21/18 1:34 PM

"Depends on when, no? [what model years]"

2015, I read on Wiki that it had the highest domestic content of all.

Luckily I rarely have to deal with seriously frosted windshield here, I can't remember the last time that I even used a non-freezing washer fluid, so I do leave the washer tank half-empty (also to spare the pump motor from the persistent corroded/seized motor shaft bushing on a couple of cars I've had).

Reply to topic    

Craig

12/21/18 6:09 PM

Cars built in the USA... A Top 10

Honda has 4, Ford has 3, GM with 2, Chrysler only 1, but it's the #1.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/06/22/american-cars/724724002/

Buy American! Buy Honda!

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

12/27/18 8:36 AM

After the first hard freeze the other day I knew my sunglasses would fog up since they were on the console overnight. Sitting at the light I put them on the windshield vent and redirected the air flow to where it was needed. I could almost see the front end twist when the compressor kicked on. The A/C light stayed dark of course. When I pressed the next button the cold engine went from a growl to a purr. And the light turned green.

Sparky

12/27/18 12:15 PM

"almost see the front end twist"

OK, maybe I am a little slow this a.m., 'front end' of??

Brian Nystrom

12/27/18 2:30 PM

I assume he means the car, due to the increased load on the engine from the AC compressor. That seems pretty extreme.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/27/18 2:36 PM

Ok, I get it. The RPM went up when the compressor kicked in and the RPM got solenoid-ed higher.. ;) It would not surprise me with a soft luxury suspension vehicle ,the body would not rotate the opposite direction of the engine's crank rotation a touch...

daddy-o

12/27/18 3:53 PM

I exaggerated a little with ‘almost’ for color. It kicked in pretty nice though. But yeah, it’s irritating to have it come on without asking or telling either. I mean, cruising along maybe you don’t want it blowing on your face or your feet. Once you’re on the highway it might not catch your attention like it does sitting at a traffic light on a quiet Saturday morning.

dan emery

12/27/18 5:39 PM

Whoa!

Sparky trying to figure out a baffling daddy post- that's kind of the irresistible force meets the immovable object. :). Both you dudes can get a little obscure.....

FWIW, I had no idea what the fork daddy was talking about.

But I also don't like it when the air conditioner comes on with the defroster. But unlike Brian I dunno how to disable it.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/27/18 6:00 PM

This is great, LOL...

daddy-o

12/27/18 6:28 PM

👍👍

Sparky

12/27/18 7:10 PM

a little obscure?

Divergence is.... is.... ______________

You go daddy-o, fill in the blank.

Brian Nystrom

12/28/18 8:04 AM

Hey Dan...

Check your owner's manual; there may be an option to decouple the A/C and defroster. Heck, even my Hyundai has it!

Reply to topic    

dfcas

12/28/18 9:44 AM

AC needs to run

Back in the 60's when AC started becoming widely available it was learned that if you turned it off in the fall and waited till the first hot day the next spring to turn it back on it most likely did not work. the seals would dry out, the gas would leak out, and often the open system cause the compreeor to sieze. Manufacturers cared because if it was still in warranty the cost was their problem.

It was learned that the seals stayed pliable and the compressor did not sieze if the system was run frequently. So, manufacturers came up with a way for it to run on a daily basis and solved that problem.

I think there is a thermal limit that wont let it run if the temp is around 39 or less, but I think that varies from maker to maker.

Steve B.

12/28/18 9:58 AM

It's manufacturers deciding that they know better how to operate assorted functions of a vehicle. With the defroster activating the A/C without user input, the logic is that when you use the defroster setting, which could also be called the "I want the air to come out at the windshield, not blowing directly on me, or on my feet" setting, the manufacturers are assuming you have a fogged windshield, thus and logically you want A/C as it has less humid air to help de-fog the inside of the windshield.

It's a false assumption. Sometimes you just want air not blowing directly on you or your feet.

My Subaru automatically activates the A/C when I set to the "air coming out at the windshield" setting. I can then turn off the A/C and just run non conditioned air.

My current pet peeve is modern vehicles that activate of all the dashboard lighting when you start your car, as opposed to when you activate headlamps. This leads to people driving at night with no headlamps or tail lights, assuming that as the dash is all lit up, that the other lights must be on. They're not and these clueless idiots are not aware that there's likely a separate indicator that tells them when the headlamps (and tail lights) are ON. Which they don't know about as they likely never read the manual and paid zero attention to the sales guy at delivery.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/28/18 10:21 AM

I dunno folks, seems 'dehumidifying' the air before it hits the glass clears the fog off the inside of the glass a whole lot more efficiently.

Went to Spokane for x-mas, had four ppl in the CRV and wet all the way on the return, snow first 1-1/2 hours. The real defrosting fun came with 4 cups of java at the same time after the Star bucks stop.

To my surprise, the defrosting cycle worked faster without the re-circulating of interior air VS letting outside air in. Seems the opposite when I am alone in the spacious interior of that SUV.

Probably the wet on our clothes, 4 of us raising the interior relative humidity level, not to mention 4 door open allowing the 'wet' air in. ;)

It is usually quite damn an wet here in 'non cycling' season. I find no A/C in the defroster mix untenable. The Del Sol for example with no working A/C took longer to clear with just hot air, and that is a tiny interior. Yada

Sparky

12/28/18 10:32 AM

While we are talking cars, I had got the AWD CRV at a consistent 29 MPG for 2k miles. Using Shell gas FWIW.

The usual 'Safeway' supermarket gas I see 26.5-27. Which I also got for the Spokane trip using generic fuel.
That is low for that car for a road trip, but 4 full size adults and overnight bags I suppose, Big load comparatively VS me alone locally with a 16 lb bike in the back. ;)

The Shell I was buying from a local station repeatedly for my 'test'. I started buying the 'Safeway' gas when every station here dropped price quite a bit lately, except the Shell still @ 3.29 for reg. And I was raking up gas points no getting gas at Safeway. So I filled up @ Safeway with discounts for 2.59 Gal. At that price difference I think the cost per mile break even would be 22-3 MPG with quick mind math. Sticking with the Safeway averaging .50 less per gallon that this Shell.

Seems the only thing in my mind to account for this is more ethanol in the cheaper gas? But doesn't the booze in the fuel cost more than the fuel in the fuel??

Brian Nystrom

12/28/18 11:33 AM

There are some brands that still sell 100% gasoline, but the majority are 10% ethanol, a.k.a. "E10". This is always stated on the pump, in my experience. Anything higher than that requires special labeling, as it can damage many fuel systems and engines. There is "E15" and "E85", but I think that's about it.

dfcas, there's supposed to be a lower temp limit that prevents the A/C from coming on when it's near freezing or below, but I have yet to drive a car where that actually works. They probably put the sensor in the engine bay.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -