CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Anyone here use the Federal Tax credit for...
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

12/28/18 6:01 PM

Brian, I understand all that. I used to use the E85 in a flex fuel Sonoma GMC PU in Nashville. Until all of a sudden it went stupid up in price. And the PU got 6-7 MPG less on it, but honestly ran noticeably better on it. So when cost per mile went beyond using just E10 I just went E10, closer station anyway.

My question is this, how close to 10% is it really? And how consistent are they with the percent. Don't they dump it from two separate trucks or tanks, and not pre-mixed from the distillery?

So perhaps that can clear up my comment of percent and costs, booze VS Dino juice.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

KerryIrons

12/29/18 9:50 AM

Mixing

I am speaking from logic, not specific knowledge, but it is highly unlikely that they have a tank of EtOH that they blend on site with gasoline. The risk of meters/gauges going "off" is too much of a risk. Given the realities of refinery operations, I would guess that they are within 0.5% on the E10 and within 1-2% on E85. IOW, E10 is 9.9 to 10.1%, and E85 is 84-86%.

Somebody here probably has explicit knowledge but I would be surprised if reality is different than my guess.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/29/18 10:16 AM

Not sure why I thought the mix was a separate dump. Googling shows not the case.

I also did see a link to how most stations who say they have ethanol free gas are lying, and just raising the price.

KerryIrons

12/31/18 10:12 AM

EtOH free

Given the realities of refinery operations, "ethanol free" is only a relative term. If there was E15 in the storage tank or the tank truck, then there will be a trace of EtOH med in with the gas but the emphasis is on the word "trace" Just because something is detectable doesn't mean it's meaningful.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

12/31/18 12:48 PM

https://www.thehyundaiforums.com/threads/ac-defroster.903/

The definitive post for the '04 Elantra. If you don't click it you won't understand why I posted it.

Sparky

12/31/18 1:12 PM

"emphasis is on the word "trace""

PPM

dddd

12/31/18 5:24 PM

I noticed a long-term drop in MPG when I moved from NY to CA decades ago, thought it was the gas but it turned out to be the car's thermostat that had stopped closing as thoroughly when it was supposed to.

My coolant conundrum with the Town Car turned out to be a "low pressure" (external) head gasket leak (seepage) into the area under the intake manifold.
Another bullet ($) dodged as this symptom seems to be fizzling out with increased mileage (I suspect that the fiber portion of the gasket may have dehydrated and shrunken while sitting unused for so many years). I'm hoping that I don't have to even mess with any sort of sealing additive in the cooling system since it looks so clean in the overflow/reservoir tank.
And the new $300 (all four) Douglas tire replacement solved the vibratory looseness that the front suspension was exhibiting, yet another pile of money/effort saved.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/31/18 7:40 PM

Put some ground pepper in the anti-freeze. ;)

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -