HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

FIRST MAN

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Wheels

10/15/18 9:01 PM

FIRST MAN

Saw it and really enjoyed it. I thought the ending was a little abrupt, but the movie was excellent. If you're a member of that generation, the movie is very personal. The whole movie is extremely factual. Only a few very, very minor deviations from the truth.

The movie isn't really about NASA or getting to the moon, but they are significant parts to the story. The real story is what is inside Neil's head. Around every turn of his path to being first, there were several mishaps and tragedies that affected and made him excel and be who he was. The opening scene was pretty intense and sets the tone right off the bat..

The penultimate scene was shot in IMAX and the clarity and use of sound almost made you feel like you were there with him on the lunar surface. You need to see it in IMAX to get the full experience.

RECOMMEND

Reply to topic    

walter

10/16/18 5:35 PM

"The whole movie is extremely factual.”

just like the man. the book is...tedious. can't wait to see the movie!

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

daddy-o

10/16/18 7:30 PM

https://www.imax.com/theatres

A common refrain of each Moon mission crew was "ours was the best." But between Armstrong's proven ability to get out of a jam, and Dr. Aldrin's thesis Line-of-Sight Guidance Techniques for Manned Orbital Rendezvous they had maybe the best chance of getting it right the first try.

RCoapman

10/17/18 8:28 AM

Meeting Neil Armstrong

I don't really do hero worship and celebrity is a concept I tend to disdain. My only real hero growing up was Carl Sagan and now his worthy Successor Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

But I met Neil Armstrong appx 13months before he died and I can't deny a chill of excitement as I met a man who will live long in the annals of history. He was on a USO tour and I was on FOB Phoenix in Kabul, Afghanistan. I could not make his talk that day because of work but he was seated with some military personnel in the DFAC when I went in for lunch.

It probably annoyed the soldiers but I walked over and shook Mr Armstrong's hand, said it was an honour to meet him and would have moved on immediately but he stopped me and chatted with me for a few moments. He asked about my work and where I was from, he seemed genuinely interested.

From those brief minutes I feel that I can confirm all the reports of his quiet, unassuming nature and his natural friendliness.

I don't know if it's in the movie, but the actual landing of the Apollo 11 Eagle on the lunar surface was a nailbiter. Almost out of fuel, moving too fast, Mr Armstrong somehow flew the ship with a calm hand and the rest is history. A really amazing person.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/17/18 9:17 AM

A really amazing pilot! I can say all of the best pilots I know are genuinely nice folks. Not the archetype you might assume in my experience.

Great share Rob, that is awesome in a way. But I also have met 'celebrities', mostly in the music biz. Names all here would recognize, some not. Out of about a dozen, only one was an outright asshole. I turned and walked away while he was mid sentence.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -