HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Lance Armstrong’s nemesis is starting a new cycling team —

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
daddy-o

10/5/18 8:32 PM

Lance Armstrong’s nemesis is starting a new cycling team —

Lance Armstrong’s nemesis is starting a new cycling team — with Lance Armstrong’s money Washington Post

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

10/6/18 9:16 AM

Too cool

This is just perfect on so many levels....

Maybe he can get Jack as a sponsor?

But seriously, good for him for hanging in there.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/6/18 11:25 AM

Floyd’s of Leadville is opening 3 PDX cannabis shops. Because having one next to each Starbucks is not enough pot shops apparently. Not actually, but there are a lot of POT shops here. Floyd branching out from CO shops to the other states in which it is legal.

I wonder if the cycling team kit will have a pot leaf on it?

Craig

10/6/18 5:57 PM

When I'm challenged for my hatred of Lance I remind people of Floyd. And even Tyler. A couple of guys who got caught up in the Lance debacle who really just faded away and accepted on some level they fucked up, unlike Lance who doth protest too much, methinks.

I like the idea of a "lesson learned" sponsorship.

I wonder if there will be a Linda McCartney-esque obligation on the part of the team members to live a sponsor inspired lifestyle. Remember the vegetarian cycling team? Remember when a team considered a steak doping? I'm sure a brownie or two would inspire good, deep, recovery sleeps....

Pot is about to be full on legal here in Canada, and yet we've been warned that if we have an interest in legal marijuana, we should expect to be detained or refused at the USA border. Since when is taking part in a completely legal component of our society grounds for refused access? Can I cite Floyd Landis as a reason for allowing me into the USA? Or Portland in general with its plethora of semi-legal dispensaries?

Anyone remember Rock Racing? I'd rather be obligated to eat the odd "brownie" than wear those f-ing jeans.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/6/18 6:05 PM

I went in with my kid to a place called 'Electric Lettuce' last week. The smell of the terpenes gave me a headache very quickly. I guess nature put that smell to keep predators from consuming the plant. It does not work on most humans, just me apparently. ;)

Now the CBD product seem to be the most popular here. I have tried it for lower back pain, and was not impressed. ;)

Craig

10/6/18 7:14 PM

Way back when I was in university I used to "take part" on a regular basis. I remember a design studio (architecture school) where we did a group project and we were rocking it, until we "ran out." We were dry for a week and I remember the Prof saying to us, "you guys were on such a roll. You were doing some really interesting stuff, but for the last week you've seemed to hit a wall." We couldn't tell him why.

That was 20+ years ago. These days, on very rare occasion, it helps me sleep. But it works so well that I wonder if I should let it help me sleep more often.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

10/7/18 5:34 AM

dp

Last edited by Brian Nystrom on 10/7/18 5:42 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

10/7/18 5:39 AM

Craig, I don't understand your thinking that just because something is legal in Canada, you should be able to bring it wherever you travel. Try bringing pot into Singapore sometime. You'll see a very prominent sign stating that "Drug smuggling is punishable by death", conveniently situated over the bathroom between the gates and customs.

While that's an extreme example, there are things that are perfectly legal here that I can't bring into Canada without risking arrest and prosecution. Sovereign nations have their own laws and it's up to travelers to obey the laws of their destination country. It's not uncommon for it to be illegal to bring items into into a country, but be legal to purchase them once inside the country. There's nothing new about that.

Personally, I think it's a bad idea for a cycling team to be associated with a product that is still of questionable legality here in the US. It certainly does nothing to promote the idea that the sport is clean now. That said, I have to give kudos to Floyd for at least putting his settlement money toward a noble goal. However, I would rather see a non-drug-related name for the team.

As for the Lance hatred thing, that's a topic for another discussion.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/7/18 9:25 AM

"As for the Lance hatred thing, that's a topic for another discussion."

Craig

10/8/18 4:15 AM

Brian, I don't think I was clear, I don't think I should be able to bring something that's legal in Canada into the USA. Canadians were warned that if a person worked in or owned a legal marijuana related business that he or she would be turned away at the border. Canadians were also warned that if they were to mention they were going to take part in something that was legal in the USA, like going to a state where you could legally buy marijuana, you'd also be turned away. I understand this second point because the border is Federally controlled and it's still a Federal crime, but if I were to say I was going to Colorado for a legal, licensed, public pot convention/rally, I'd be turned away at the border.

It's like saying handguns are illegal in Canada, and if you own a legal hand gun in the USA, even if you left that hand gun at home, you won't be allowed into Canada. But Canada doesn't do that. But Canadians are being warned that the USA will refuse you access at the border if you work in a legal marijuana related industry in Canada.

https://www.thestar.com/news/cannabis/2018/09/13/canadians-who-smoke-marijuana-legally-or-work-or-invest-in-the-industry-will-be-barred-from-the-us-customs-and-border-protection-official.html

Reply to topic    

April

10/8/18 9:00 AM

Thanks Craig, for the link

"Recreational marijuana has been legal here in Washington state since 2014. Adults just a few miles away in Canada also will be able to legally buy and smoke marijuana for pleasure starting in October.

But between them stands the U.S. border, a thin marijuana militarized zone, where the drug will remain forbidden by federal law."

Fun stuff!

Brian Nystrom

10/8/18 2:42 PM

Sorry Craig, I misunderstood. I agree that it makes no sense whatsoever, as there's no criminal activity involved and nothing is being transported across the border, other than a perfectly legal mindset.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

10/9/18 5:00 PM

Location Location Location

Of course, Leadville is "highest" city in the US. Cool place. My mother was born in Leadville. I visited when out there for the Don Ferris Death March of 2002. Eat and drink where Doc Holiday did.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

10/12/18 5:48 PM

Linda's family owns a share of a mining claim in Leadville. We actually found it with the help of GPS and some very friendly people in the town offices.

It was interesting being there, as you could feel the altitude even sitting in a car. Strenuous exercise was out of the question.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/12/18 6:13 PM

"It was interesting being there, as you could feel the altitude even sitting in a car. Strenuous exercise was out of the question."

When my Mom and SIS were in the Denver area in the 80s we skied a lot out that way. By the third day the headache subsides and you can get to some real skiing. ;)

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -