HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Vuelta Appeared on my DVR today

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dfcas

8/29/18 2:52 PM

Vuelta Appeared on my DVR today

Stage 5 somehow appeared on the DVR, I assume from NBCSN but I'm not sure. No earlier stages were recorded so I have no idea why this one was shown. Check your schedules.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

daddy-o

8/29/18 6:45 PM

OlyHD

It's on a channel I don't subscribe to, Olympic HD. Thanks for the heads-up though.

dfcas

8/29/18 8:05 PM

I don't get Olympic HD either. Yet there it was on my divver.

daddy-o

8/30/18 3:50 AM

Post a spoiler! 🚴‍♂️🚴‍♂️🚴‍♂️

dan emery

8/30/18 5:28 AM

It's a sign

Dan, obviously you are meant to go to Spain and ride.

Reply to topic    

Doug

8/31/18 11:46 AM

Vuelta redux

I was looking at stage profiles on steephill and came across the following item:

NBC Sports begins live coverage of all 21 stages of the 2018 Vuelta a España - the final Grand Tour of the season – this Saturday, August 25, at 1 p.m. ET on the Olympic Channel (check your local tv listings or subscribe through fubo.tv authorized online streaming) and NBC Sports Gold with a subscription to its “Cycling Pass. Canadian viewers can watch through flobikes. For the first time, NBC Sports Gold’s coverage of the Vuelta a España will include data rich features in addition to its live, commercial-free coverage of the event (more details below).

Coverage concludes on Sunday, September 22, in Madrid with Stage 21 live at 10:45 a.m. ET on NBC Sports Gold, and at 1 p.m. ET on Olympic Channel. NBCSN will televise encore presentations of select stages throughout the race, beginning with Stage 5 on Wednesday, August 29, at 2 p.m. ET.

Note the 2nd paragraph. I too found it, unannounced, on my DVR.
-dg

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

8/31/18 11:49 AM

Did you perhaps set it to record any cycling content?

We've been watching the recorded stages and overall, it's been a pretty unexciting race so far. Fortunately, we can fast-forward to the good parts. However, yesterday's stage got pretty interesting in the last 30K.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

9/1/18 7:23 AM

XFinity customer results: Used their search tool for variations of "2018 Vuelta a Espana" and it its hit returned the prompt "OlyHD is not.... Switch to `All Channels?`" (no thanks)

But thanks for the heads-up, dfcas and Doug, it prompted me to dig into it.

I searched again after I did a manual run down of NBCSN for the next two weeks and found it had three entries:
Wednesday Sept 5 @ 1:00pm Stage 11
Sunday Sept 9 @ 11:00pm Stage 15
Friday Sept 14 @ 11:00pm Stage 19

The last one has appeared in the two-week window since yesterday.
I get that they're in the business to sell premium content, but it's irritating.

Once I located the first one the other two showed up under "series info," and "record series" worked. Caveat to the recording though: It's marked in the system as a repeat. So `encore` does get that tag. If you just record the series as "new shows" they won't be marked to record, even though `the series` says they are. I double checked.

Now if you guys could figure out how you got the same result with none of the effort I'd sure like to know the trick.

--One other thing, on XFinity (Comcast too?) this weekend is a free showcase for Showtime and I ran through their on demand movie line-up. Now's your chance to record The Flying Scotsman. But you have to slog through pages of titles since it sorts to the bottom of popular and alphabetical. Inglorious Basterds is at the top though! (And not much in between.)

Doug

9/1/18 2:32 PM

Brian, my search parameters were left over from 2-3 years ago when I was spending a ton of money making sure I got EVERY bike race that was b'cast, be it on BEIN, FSN, Universal, NBC-NBCSN, et al. As I was evolving my sports program feeds I apparently left this "search" on the machine.

I started cutting the cord in 2015 with all the cable/satellite connections slowing disappearing. It was all due to my utility co-op starting to offer fiber-optic internet service. Now all my sports feeds, and the most pertinent of news sources, are being streamed. All my Vuelta feeds are now streamed, arriving in 2-3 hour blocks, commercial-free of course, usually starting at "Kilometer Zero". I haven't had to deal with a "network" presentation in over a year. The price I pay is missing Jen's observations.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -