HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

RIP John McCain

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

8/25/18 7:18 PM

RIP John McCain

Not a political post, just some expected sadness which manifested today with his death.

One of the last true Statesmen in my eyes.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

8/26/18 9:03 AM

Whether you agreed with his views or not, he was a truly honorable and decent man who always put his country's needs before his own, a model of what all politicians should be like.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

8/27/18 3:56 PM

A great man

I'm a liberal democrat so I didn't agree with him on some issues, but to me he was a great man. As a POW when asked to make a propaganda video, he replied FU. When offered a chance to go home, as I understand it he wouldn't go unless his fellow POWs did. How many would have those guts.

And he always was thoughtful, well motivated, honest and called things as he saw them, which is really all you can ask.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/27/18 4:06 PM

NM

Last edited by Sparky on 8/29/18 8:40 AM; edited 1 time in total

Nick Payne

8/28/18 2:31 PM

And with his response to McCain's death, Donald Twat proves again what a pitiful excuse for a human being he is.

Reply to topic    

April

8/28/18 2:45 PM

quote:
with his response to McCain's death, Donald Twat proves again what a pitiful excuse for a human being he is.

As if we need more proof! :(

The first time around "I'd prefer hero who were not captured"... I'm the only one who, coming from a very different culture, GOT what he's implying: McCain should have committed suicide to avoid being captured! That's the kind of hero Donald Trump "prefers"!!!

It's beyond pitiful. Its disgusting!

The best way to avoid being captured was of course by NOT serving! Bone spur anyone? ;)

daddy-o

8/28/18 3:19 PM

Considering what he endured between punching out and entering the prison, suicide would have been the easy way out.

He ejected, landed in a lake with two broken arms and a broken leg, nearly drowned, rescued, upon arrival at shore, seized from his rescuers, his shoulder was shattered with the butt of a rifle, bayoneted and rescued again, to the Hanoi Hilton.

Original text masked because it was tangential to my point and detracted from the thread. Highlight to reveal.
Our President's wartime legacy?
Heel spurs, avoiding venereal disease.

A candidate like McCain, liberal or conservative, needs to recognize character assassination and immediately make it the central issue of the campaign.

Take a look at Bridget McCain, the Pakistani baby with a cleft palate he adopted. You know, the one Karl Rove characterized with the South Carolina push poll question "What do you think of John McCain's negro love-child?"*

*The Atlantic, *The Nation

Last edited by daddy-o on 8/29/18 2:58 AM; edited 2 times in total

April

8/28/18 3:41 PM

quote:
A candidate like McCain, liberal or conservative, needs to recognize character assassination and immediately make it the central issue of the campaign.

Trouble being, John McCain's character wasn't being assassinated. Donald Trump's (character) was. He displayed how unworthy he is to be a president. But...

Nearly 50% of the voters choose him despite that clear display of his character.

"Locker room talk", "Mexican murderers", the list was long. How much more "central" do you want to, or even CAN, make it???

I'll say it again (and again), we deserve the leader we elect . I for one, do NOT wish to see him impeached (nor realistically possible anyway). Those who voted for him need to live through the hell THEY created. (and I LOVE to see how those who voted for him last time vote in the next election if he runs for re-election)

Craig

8/28/18 8:03 PM

quote:
I'll say it again (and again), we deserve the leader we elect . I for one, do NOT wish to see him impeached (nor realistically possible anyway). Those who voted for him need to live through the hell THEY created. (and I LOVE to see how those who voted for him last time vote in the next election if he runs for re-election)

He wasn't elected by a majority of Americans. There was another candidate who got more votes than he did. In fact, if you look at the last 7 elections, the Democratic Party has won the popular vote 6 out of 7 times despite winning the White House only 4 of those times. The only time the Republicans have won the popular vote in the last 7 years was GWB's re-election. So, yes, you deserve the leader you elect, you just don't always get the leader you elect.

Reply to topic    

April

8/28/18 8:25 PM

Craig, I totally disagree.

The constitution dictates he who got the most electoral votes will be the president!

And please don't be a sour loser. Had the constitution were different, both Trump and Hillary would have campaigned differently. They BOTH would have spend more time in OTHER key states. The number of votes they got may have been slightly different. But I don't doubt the result would have been just as close.

I hate to say this. But Democrats had lost the election with this kind of thinking: blame everyone else but the candidate Hillary Clinton and her supporting organization. That's no less pathetic than Republicans blaming the Trump win to Democrats putting up a "weak opponent"!

What do you have to say to those 45% who vote for Trump? I say "Thank you for voting your true believe! Now enjoy your choice!"

Sparky

8/28/18 8:34 PM

Let's please not to the political bickering thing folks!

I had a feeling when I typed the word 'political' I unzipped the proverbial fly.

April

8/28/18 8:55 PM

You started the thread. There's no getting away from this being a political thread.

Let's stop beating around the bushes. McCain may have been a decent human being and had a distinguish political career. But his standing wouldn't have been half as prominently had it NOT for his standing up to the current president Donald Trump!

He is the embodiment of every principle Donald Trump trampled upon. In celebrating McCain's life, it IS a giant thumbs down to Donald Trump.

Sparky

8/28/18 10:05 PM

>You started the thread. There's no getting away from this being a political thread.

Unless it gets locked, or nuked. A John McCain RIP thread is not an excuse to repeat that crap.

daddy-o

8/29/18 2:57 AM

Argh

I've redacted my contribution.

Brian Nystrom

8/29/18 5:31 AM

Agreed, Sparky. This thread is supposed to be a tribute to a great man who was very prominent and highly respected in American politics long before Trump was involved.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -