HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Is a 44mm DT on frame going to kill?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

8/13/18 6:28 PM

Is a 44mm DT on frame going to kill?

Custom GURU Ti frame I have in my reach. I am kind of concerned with a 44mm round DT it may be so brutally stiff, even being Titanium, I might rue the purchase.

Opinions?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dfcas

8/13/18 8:43 PM

My custom Carver has a Butted 44mm downtube. Not too harsh, but I have no idea if I would have liked a smaller tube better.

Sparky

8/13/18 8:55 PM

And you are a 59-60 as I recall.

dfcas

8/13/18 9:02 PM

Carver suggested it was appropriate for a big frame and somewhat heavy rider.

greglepore

8/14/18 6:52 AM

No. I have one on a custom ti in a sloping bike set up for a 5'5 rider. Its not "harsh" but its definitely not as buttery as conventional ti. On my build the seatstays make up for it. I'd try the guru if it fits.

LeeW

8/14/18 7:12 AM

I once had a '99 Litespeed Ultimate that had the thick, roughly-airfoil shaped downtube (that was made out of sheet titanium bent around a form and welded at the bottom. It did not ride overly stiff.

Give it a try if you're interested.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/14/18 2:16 PM

I honestly thought I'd be asking "you calling me fat?" by now in this thread. ;)

It sold before they answered any questions. Not the first time The Pro's Closet questions went unanswered either. Maybe better not to deal with them, if they don't service ahead of a purchase, I doubt after will be better...

Nick Payne

8/14/18 4:03 PM

My Lynskey Sportive in XL size has a 45mm DT, and it's not harsh to ride (I use Schwalbe S-One 30mm tubeless tyres on it). I also have a Lynskey GR Pro which has the blunt-nosed triangular DT formed from 6-4 Ti sheet, but with 48-50mm tyres at 25-35psi on that bike, frame rigidity doesn't really come into the comfort equation.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/14/18 6:13 PM

Nick, is the sportive disc or rim brakes? If rim, does it need 57mm mid reach calipers?

Nick Payne

8/14/18 10:36 PM

The Sportive I have is the rim brake version, and uses short reach calipers (SRAM Force). I doubt that a 30mm tyre would fit in the front with a carbon fork - I'm using a steel fork which has the hole for mounting the brake bolt closer to the bottom of the fork crown than does a carbon fork.

I forget exactly how old my frame is - I bought it about four years ago, I think - the model I bought was the last one where they made the frame with straight headtube for 1-1/8" steerer fork. All the more recent models have tapered headtube for tapered steerer.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -