Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

What is your local weather up to?
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

7/26/18 8:56 AM

What is your local weather up to?

We really get antsy here waiting on spring so we can get our butts out on the bikes.

Then we get to a point that it is really early rides or baking in heat. Which seems to have hit hear twice with spells of well above average temps already. A 3-4 day spot a early July, and now a 5+ day wave. Maybe 7, if you count the last day or two of 88-89. Being 6^ or so above average. But we are edging 100 for longer than I'd like. ;O

Thinking about Crater Lake for Sept. The wild fires are also early as a result of the above average heat. Maybe there will be no fuel left by Sept and it won't be a bust as it was last year. ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Matthew Currie

7/26/18 9:23 AM

Here in Vermont it's been alternate sticky heat and rain. This week it's rain.

For the first time in some while, I've been managing to get out on the rail trail instead of cycling indoors, but it's back to stationary for this week.

I've been off the bike for a while (and off the road since 2012) and it's embarrassingly slow getting back into real cycling mode, but at least I'm not actually falling off!

Reply to topic    

Pino

7/26/18 1:41 PM

Heatwave with two days of 100 degrees (37 Celsius). Has not rained in two months.

Sparky

7/26/18 1:55 PM

"but at least I'm not actually falling off!"

Keep rolling my friend. I am sneaking in 12-20 mile each morning getting off right @ about 85ish^. Sweat city, my Halo can't keep up. 3 wringings in 18 miles this morning, all in the last 20 minutes. So more like 3 wringings in 10? miles I guess. ;) When the sweat hits the contacts it sux.

dan emery

7/26/18 4:25 PM

No such thing as climate change

Says the Donald. Summer like winter, it's just wacky. Here it's been raining and super humid recently. Today was a perfect bike commute. Raining in the morning so I drove to the office. Home for lunch, and it didn't look bad, so I rode back. After about 50 yards, it started raining, hard, and when I turned into my office, it stopped.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

7/26/18 7:28 PM

D.C. - I think June set a record for consecutive days where the low was above 80, with the highs near 100 most of the days with the east coast humidity pushing the effective temperature over.

July? Read Dan's post, we're all under the same system. I think we've had 14" of rain in the last week or so. What's that, 35cm?

KerryIrons

7/27/18 9:15 AM

Conversions

quote:
100 degrees (37 Celsius).

Actually 38 C, but who's counting.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

7/27/18 12:16 PM

Metrication, perhaps the most strange of political bedfellows joined forces to stop it.

Lyn Nofziger, aide to Reagan and co-creator of Nixon's enemies list.
Frank Mankiewicz, aide to RFK, and member of Nixon's enemies list.

Sparky

7/27/18 12:21 PM

"Metrication" LOL

In the interest of no things political, I will leave it at a chuckle. I am not less than a bit proud of all 'y'all on the actions of letting those threads toggle down the active threads list.

PLee

7/27/18 12:36 PM

And, yet, metric parts on a bicycle are still tied to English measures. Whenever you see an odd metric sizing, convert it to inches and you know where the odd number came from . . .

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

7/29/18 1:56 PM

English confusion

The standard confusion point is handlebar diameter: is it 31.7 or 31.8? Actually, it's 1.25 inches, which is 31.75 mm, which some companies round up for their published measurement, and other companies truncate to 3 significant figures. But it still seems to throw a lot of people for a loop.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/1/18 8:30 AM

So I see on the news many east coast cities having wettest July, or close to in their histories.

Meanwhile in the wet PNW, well: "The last time Portland had measurable rain was July 2, when we had 2/100th of an inch.". So for July we had 2/100th" rain fall.

Nick Payne

8/4/18 8:21 PM

We're in the middle of winter, and in a severe drought. So far this winter our minimum temperatures have been about two degrees Celcius colder than the long term average (I think the lowest has been -8C), the maximums about two degrees warmer than average, and the rainfall only about 20% of normal. Yesterday it was -4C first thing in the morning and got up to 20C just after lunchtime, which is about as wide a diurnal temperature range as I can remember in almost 40 years of living here. And our Bureau of Meteorology is not seeing any end to the drought any time soon - their forecast is for the probability of an El Niņo forming in spring to be about twice as high as normal, and El Niņo normally means drought in eastern Australia.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

8/5/18 2:25 PM

Stankin' humid

Still soupy here. The weathermen say they don't keep humidity record stats, but this would probably be it.

Just put a heat pump AC in my office. Fabulous. I may move in with the dogs.

Reply to topic    

henoch

8/6/18 8:44 PM

Another mini heat wave down here....

Reply to topic    

JohnC

8/7/18 1:11 PM

Low 90s today, with dewpoint close to 75. That's about as humid as a tropical rain forest.

henoch

8/7/18 9:13 PM

We had some crazy epic storm here tonight, I just happened to be racing in it :)
Almost got blown off my bike, but hey at least it cooled down.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/7/18 9:26 PM

My Sis in LA county sent me this pic from the route outta her sub-division.

PLee

8/8/18 8:32 AM

The storm that blew through Brooklyn last evening was biblical. It dumped rain and lightning was coming down all over the place. It reminded me of the MidWest.

Reply to topic    

April

8/8/18 10:01 AM

"the storm of yesterday"!

I was stuck in air and then at a "diversion airport" for several hours.

Having the misfortune of scheduled to land at JFK during the height of the storm. Turning a 5 1/2 hr flight into a 12 hr ordeal (the US immigration adds insult to injury, per usual)

Sparky

8/8/18 10:07 AM

"diversion airport"

A lot of planes diverted, wasn't it like 150+.

I always hated flying when you get to you destination 8 hours late....

Pat Clancy

8/8/18 11:10 AM

Rain & Lightning

The storm moved out of NYC to the northeast and rolled through CT. We were just to the southern edge and had a wonderful display of lightning in the distance, but only a little rain. A town only 10 miles to our northwest saw flash floods with something like 4.5 inches of rain in less than 2 hours. The localized downpours have been something to see this summer.

Sparky

8/8/18 3:50 PM

Didn't a small funnel touch down in Queens the other day?

henoch

8/8/18 4:00 PM

Yeah Parkin, it was insane yesterday.
To be racing in it and then riding home was even more insane... LOL.
The amount of rain and lighting that rained down in just 5 minutes was hard to believe.

How can I post a picture here?.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/8/18 4:15 PM

"How can I post a picture here?."

email it to me and I will host/post it in the thread.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -