HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Today's TdF Stage Profile: Sunday
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sanrensho

7/20/18 2:46 PM

Agree with PLee, the flares and smoke bombs should be permanently banned.

Did not expect a small group sprint finish for the stage win on Alpe d'Huez.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

7/20/18 5:20 PM

In its wrap up segment on ESPN, the discussion show PTI showed footage of Nibali on the ground from a motorcycle and a couple of different telephone angles. The discussion was basically "Can't they control these crowds?" No results of course, but also no doping reference. I guess that counts as progress.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

daddy-o

7/21/18 3:40 AM

Stage 21, Sunday
https://www.letour.fr/en/stage-21 - maps, etc

Last edited by daddy-o on 7/30/18 10:23 AM; edited 8 times in total

daddy-o

7/21/18 11:08 AM

Paul Sherwin reminded the audience that 3rd place Tom Dumoulin is the reigning world TT champion.

What he didn't mention was silver and bronze are currently in second and fourth on the GC. (wikipedia)

dan emery

7/21/18 2:55 PM

Cool stage

Great effort to win, and awesome how Sagan grabs fourth on a steep finish more or less for the hell of it.

I turned it on early and a great women's race, The Course, was on from a couple days before. After a descent, with maybe six flat kilometers to go, Olympic Champion Van Der Breggen had about 10 seconds on the world tt champ, Van Vluyten, and it was a drag race to the end. She still had about 5 seconds with a km to go, but at the end Van Vluyten launched a savage, big gear, standing sprint and passed with about 50 m to go for the win. Awesome..

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/23/18 8:49 AM

Looks like Sky will let sleeping dogs lay. Not making Thomas move over for Froome up on top of the Podium.

Probably start some rioting given current conditions/sentiment otherwise.

[the guardian]
"the anti-Froome sentiments were even stronger with no less than 87% of French people favouring a sanction against Froome over his salbutamol case. The television ratings reflect that disenchantment also, with the Bastille Day stage on 14 July drawing its lowest audience for 10 years. "

My question is can/will Dumoulin toggle Froome outta second spot by Sunday?

daddy-o

7/23/18 9:26 AM

Dumoulin took 1:21 out out of Froome in the Worlds last year, on a course with a climb. I think Tom's got a shot for sure.

Last year's World's TT profile (it zooms well)
Saturday's TT profile

Sparky

7/23/18 10:20 AM

Maybe if Froome defects to France. ;)

Brian Nystrom

7/23/18 3:24 PM

There are still a lot of KMs to go before we get to the TT. It's all going to come down to which one suffers more from "Giro legs". Thomas is riding great, but considering how fresh he should be, he's really not riding all that impressively compared to Froome and Dumoulin. He's vulnerable in the TT too, so it's at least possible that Tom could pull off a surprise victory.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

7/23/18 5:28 PM

Tuesday is like the perfect lead-in to the week. If someone screwed up their rest day they have over 100km to get the blood flowing. Lots of HC to come this week.

Pino

7/23/18 11:25 PM

And rain is predicted with some nasty descents. Could be an interesting day. My dark horse is Roglic.

henoch

7/24/18 7:48 AM

Man sure am going to miss Nibai, today would seem like a day tailer made for him.
BTW Bardet is a really good descended as well, but for sure Roglic is a good pick.

Reply to topic    

Pino

7/24/18 1:47 PM

Alaphilipe showed awesome descending skills today. A real pleasure watching.

Brian Nystrom

7/25/18 5:32 AM

He seems to be sort of the Peter Sagan of climbers, in that he just seems to love riding his bike, even on bad days.

Dan Martin seems to be the new Tommy Voeckler, the "never say die rider.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

7/25/18 8:21 PM

Dan Martin! dynamo
Nairo Quintana, welcome back
The GC shuffle
Philippe Gilbert yesterday rode two passes and stood on the podium with a broken kneecap!? Brass
Any word on Sagan?
Is this a change of the GC guard?
This stage format is a winner, F1 blocks and all, even if "F1" is a mere formality. They still need to put in the mega KM to arrive at an exclamation point like this, but this was a race that delivered.

Brian Nystrom

7/26/18 9:23 AM

The F1 start was just plain silly, as none of the GC contenders was interested in attacking from the gun. I suspect they won't bother with it again.

I'm hoping that it's a changing of the GC guard, but it seems most likely that Froome is simply suffering from the effort in the Giro. Dumoulin is likely in the same boat, but seems to have recovered better. If neither had ridden the Giro, I suspect that Thomas would be in third place. That said, we're seeing an incredible crop of young riders who may be future GC riders. Unfortunately, most of them seem to be on team Sky.

Petey is on the road today and it will be interesting to see what happens in the sprint.

Reply to topic    

henoch

7/26/18 11:01 AM

I agree with Dady-o an all points but the last, I agree with Brian 100% on the grid start, it did nothing to the stage at all, it went like a regular stage with no GC action until the final few K's.
Tom D is a huge star in the making, if Sunweb had just one top level climber to help, and if he didn't get that flat that one day with like 5k to go (cost him a minute), he would most likely be the winner this year.
Primoz Roglic is also looking amazing I believe that those 2 will well be who we are talking about for a few years to come, they are both younger then Froome/Thomas.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

7/26/18 1:38 PM

I think I'm even more impressed with Egan Bernal. I don't know if he can TT well, but he sure can climb! On top of that, he's only 21, so he'll be around for a long time.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/26/18 1:45 PM

Oops..

Chris Froome was left furious after being pulled off his bike by a police officer as he made his way to the Team Sky bus at the end of stage 17 of the Tour de France. The four-time champion was filmed telling a member of the Gendarme 'fuck you' after returning to his feet. According to Cycling Weekly, the officer mistook Froome for a fan and caused the rider and his bodyguard to crash after asking them to stop.

That incident took place one day after police used either pepper spray or, reportedly, some type of tear gas on protesting farmers who had tried to block the course with hay bales. The Tour's leading cyclists were forced to halt and wash their eyes and faces with water before the air could clear and the race could resume.

New Zoo Review?

Green:
1 PETER SAGAN; 467 PTS
2 ALEXANDER KRISTOFF; 196 PTS

Going to have to quit using the word competition for the green jersey.

henoch

7/26/18 2:07 PM

pretty sure Bernal will win the Tour one day, but not in the next year or two.

Reply to topic    

henoch

7/27/18 10:14 AM

Froome off the Podium boom bang!

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

7/27/18 11:21 AM

Highly recommended

For the viewers who tune in for the aesthetics, this is one to get them to the den. The production of the final descent was great, and the producers had a lot to work with. Even Paul said ~"The best descent I've seen in years."

Wouldn't it be great to descend through town like they did after the Tourmalet?

Okay Sky has a couple of winners hitting their mid-30's.

I'm betting Froome will disappear until June of 2019 and win that year's Tour de France.

How about I put a phrase to use as a search term that's easy to remember so we can all get a laugh late next July.

Chris Froome will win the 2019 Tour de France.

Sparky

7/30/18 2:41 PM

Anyone note the pie plates on TT bikes SAT?

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -