HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Q-Rings maiden voyage

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

6/22/18 3:48 PM

Q-Rings maiden voyage

I got around to putting these on and trying it out.
I used Q-Rings, not the QXL which are 'more' non round. I put them on the Addict FWIW.

Small ring is a 36T, thus acts like a 34 and 38 and a 36 in transition.

Large ring is 53T, thus acts like a 51 and 56 and a 53 in transition.

To start I timed the 53T for seated efficiency ala TT, and the little for climbing.

I noticed a difference right off, just in feel. But the two things I noticed most are I was in the 53T most of the 30 miles I rode, and my Heart rate was lower markedly. My average speed was also higher by a bit, and I was trying to not push to normal HR, but settled in on the lower HR.

I did tolerate being cross chained more than usual instead of dropping to the little. It seemed easier to stay in the big ring than usual. And my big ring is usually a 50T or a 52T, so this is bigger @ 53T, no less phasing to 56T

I am surprised at the difference frankly. I did get some behind the knee low pains at a point, but that also settled when I quit spinning higher than usual. I need to try another 30 miler tracking the actual cadence rather than perceived.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

walter

6/22/18 6:52 PM

vewy intewesting

Sparky

6/22/18 7:01 PM

More interesting is I just walked up the street to stick something in a neighbors mailbox [bike related] and got some weird quad ache left leg just above the knee. Musta been firing the quads differently.

henoch

6/22/18 8:28 PM

Waiting to hear ride 2 report

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/22/18 10:51 PM

And 3,4,5 etc. There must be some acclimation period. Then deciding on changing the Optimum Chainring Position.

sanrensho

6/23/18 2:51 PM

How is the shifting?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/23/18 5:14 PM

Shift fine so far, i did do one drop toward the end of the ride. Was not paying attention to when to not do what. ;)

Shot out to the coast for a Kite Festival, yearly event with some crazy big kites. And acrobatic competition, one group 6x pros/kites, awesome to watch.

I keep thinking about the Addict now, and really wanting to get out and put some miles on the chainset cfg with the Q-Rings. Like to see the baseline with them.

Sparky

6/27/18 11:50 PM

Update

Did a fairly brisk 50 miler, same observations. Nothing more than 4-5%, 80% of the time in the 53 chain ring.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -