HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Zoncolan is a monster

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dfcas

6/4/18 2:29 PM

Zoncolan is a monster

I got the video after I saw the Giro was riding it. Most of the time its 16% grinding for me and I can make almost no speed. I believe it to be harder than the Mortirolo, and I did not think that possible. I ran out of gas today with 2.6k to go, and it looks like it may soften some before I go over the top.

Its the first video I've ridden that has cyclists weaving and resting on the side of the road.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

6/4/18 3:46 PM

At least on the trainer...

...you don't have to worry about stalling out and falling over.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

6/4/18 5:10 PM

That would be a tough climb

That made you fall off your trainer....

I don think I've ever stalled on a climb and fallen over. Though on The Rockpile I've had to put my foot down because I was stopped in my tracks by the wind, and then nearly blown off a hairpin.

Achambo Rd on D2R2 (27%, dirt wth some ruts) was a bit sketchy because the front wheel would lift up, which is fine, but then you had to get it down outside of a rut, which wasn't easy because you were grinding at about 40 rpm, and the front end would weave back and forth. My buddy Mike got his wheel down in a rut and fell over. But as an honest Mainer he walked back down about 10 feet before remounting so to be sure he rode the whole hill.

Reply to topic    

LeeW

6/5/18 6:06 AM

Mainer?

Is that correct terminology Dan?
I always thought they were called Maniacs? ;->

Reply to topic    

dan emery

6/5/18 7:59 AM

Mainer is good

Though phonetically you would say "Mainuh."

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

6/5/18 11:08 AM

Ayuh, "Mainuh" is wickid pissah.

"Maniac" is only used when they're driving. ;-)

I've never fallen over on a climb either, but I have had a bear of a time getting going again after stopping. The first time I recall was on the "5 mile grade" on Mt. Washington, back in the days when I was using toe clips and straps. I couldn't start facing across the road because it was too narrow and I would block the traffic going up and down (it was open to the public back then). I ended up grabbing onto a boulder for support while getting my foot into the toeclip and dragging myself forward to get going again. Back then, I only had a 38x28 low gear, which made it tough.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

6/5/18 11:15 AM

Correction

No Mainuh says "wicked pissah." Only Massholes say that.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

6/5/18 6:04 PM

We've encountered some fire trails on MTB rides that were so steep that it needed two of us to push each bike up the trail - riding it was completely impossible. Like this trail on the side of MT Pierce in the Brindabella Mtns - I don't think that anything else had been up or down it since the bulldozer that originally cut it. I'd take a guess that the gradient on this was pretty close to 40 percent:

Reply to topic    

dan emery

6/6/18 6:05 AM

OK but

How was the ride down...:)

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/6/18 9:30 AM

Loose ground under that kind of grade... Pass. On pavement I recall someone telling us the grade we just barely popped over was 30ish. It would have been impossible to get over it seated unless you had 20-22 GI I'd have guessed. The lowest any of us had was more like 34 GI at that time.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Nick Payne

6/6/18 6:20 PM

The ride down was a different way on a much better trail with a more sensible gradient. I can remember that on the way up I was a bit ahead, turned a corner, saw this impossibly steep section where the photo was taken, and started to laugh. The others, who couldn't yet see this, called out asking what was so funny. I replied: "You'll see when you get here".

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -