Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Simple camera
 Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

11/18/18 3:54 PM

Simple camera

I don't even know how to use a camera, just use my phone.

I'm going to Antarctica in January, would like to take pics. The cell would be good enough for me, but not sure I want to take my cell out in the kayaks, zodiacs, etc. I thought about getting a second cell, but that seems dumb.

So I'm thinking about a camera that is like a cell in terms of simplicity and ease of use. I'm not concerned about the finer points, I don't want to adjust anything, just point and shoot. Just want decent pics, not professional quality. Want an easy way to transfer pics. Not too concerned about cost, just don't want to pay for a bunch of stuff I won't use.

Any good candidate cameras? TIA

Reply to topic    

dfcas

11/18/18 4:34 PM

I dont know much about cameras these days but you may want to look for a water resistant or water proof "rugged" type for a trip like this. I have no idea which one to suggest.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

henoch

11/18/18 4:57 PM

There are so many good cameras these days, I think hit up a local camera shop and play with a few and buy one that feels ergonomically good to you.
Any camera from the big players, Nikon, Olympus, Cannon, Sony will be good quality.
If you have a specific question about one feel free to drop me a line or post up.
Something like a Sony WX220 should work really well.

Reply to topic    

Bob Dymond

11/19/18 10:27 AM

Camera Recommendation

A French woman is currently on a world tour on her footbike. She's an accomplished graphic artist/photographer who has posted an impressive body of work shot with a Panasonic Lumix. It's a pretty durable unit that has traveled in her pack over 35,000 miles. Here's link to some of her work:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/latrottineuse/photos/?ref=page_internal

I think there's a model that's fairly compact that doesn't require a lot of expertise. Look em over...

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/19/18 10:57 AM

Sounds like a photo fest oppurtunity for sure, and very cool.

Added this to my bucket list recently:

https://traveldigg.com/zion-national-park-utah-usa/

lrzipris

11/19/18 3:08 PM

I suggest a simple, relatively inexpensive camera with a good zoom capability. I have an old Nikon CoolPix, and the only thing wrong with the photos it produces are due to user-error. It uses rechargeable batteries, which I prefer to USB recharging.

Since Dan will be out on the water, I like the suggestion for a waterproof or resistant, rugged camera--makes sense. The LUMIX Active Lifestyle Tough Camera DMC-TS30K says it's waterproof to 26'.

Reply to topic    

sanrensho

11/19/18 5:10 PM

Canon G9X MkII?

Reply to topic    

dan emery

11/19/18 5:35 PM

Thanks all

Seems like plenty of reasonable choices, I'll get one.

Though if I'm 26' deep in the Drake Passage, I'm in a world of hurt....

Reply to topic    

Craig

11/19/18 8:58 PM

I just bought a used Canon S120 off craigslist for $100. It replaced my busted Canon S100. 24-120mm zoom equivalent, HD video possible, shirt pocket small, good quality photos and video. You can get spare batteries for $10 each on Amazon. Shoots jpeg, no fancy settings. There's a ring around the lens you can set to do exposure compensation adjustments, and I can imagine with all the Antarctica white you might want to be able to do a quick tweak to the exposure by twisting a ring rather than mucking about with menus and button combinations. It's not the newest camera out there, but cheap, and a little bit of video is a thing that I never realized I would like so much.

But yeah, so many choices, and you said money wasn't a big issue, but there are lots of "next to the best" thing on craigslist because so many people have to have the "best" thing.

There are some extreme optical zoom options available now as well, might be nice if you're eco-tourist-ing through spots where it's tough to get too close to the (insert wild life variety here). Canon SX730 HS is currently on sale (model likely near the end of its run) with a 40X optical zoom and amazing video capabilities, and about the size of a cell phone. The recommended G9X mkII is also an EXCELLENT camera, but only 3X optical zoom. Costs more, but you get more, but if you're really only looking for cell phone-esque quality images the cheaper SX730 HS is more versatile and cheaper.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/19/18 9:25 PM

"used Canon S120 off craigslist"

Did you research the battery issues with that Canon. I see them for sale used with 5-7 batteries and such.

Craig

11/19/18 10:02 PM

The battery life issue is mostly connected to shooting video, in my experience. I had the same issue with the S100, small battery in a small camera shooting (relatively) high resolution video is hard on batteries. And it seems pretty universal; video bloggers complaining about battery life in some compact Sony cameras for example. That being said, I bought a pair of 3.7V 1800mAh rated batteries off Amazon, with a charger, and a car adaptor for that charger, for $20. The OEM Canon battery is only 1000mAh rated. I took a bunch of photos and shot some video with the aftermarket battery a few days ago and it seemed to stand up to some use. You have to keep in mind that when buying a 3 or 4 year old camera, you're getting 3 or 4 year old OEM batteries, I accepted I would need to buy a couple of batteries when buying the camera. So far so good...

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/19/18 10:27 PM

Ahh, so non issue for stills?

Craig

11/19/18 11:42 PM

Hasn't been for me so far. But also, for the Canon at least, the new aftermarket batteries are MUCH higher capacity. 1000mAh to 1800mAh is a significant improvement on battery life.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/20/18 10:35 AM

I am all about the multiple battery thing. Especially with the newer tech and high capacity small ions et al.

I have three for my phone, and an external charger so I am not baking the phone all the time charging. Mostly did this while the Droid was the internet station here.

Actually, on that note and a slight divergence, the local provider dropped the DSL finally has 90MBPS broadband made available to us, and we switched.

I have an extra droid battery with my ID stuff out on the bike. So theory being never getting caught out dead.

Amazed at how long that battery holds 95+ percent when I rotate it out to top it off, usually 2-3 months. Once I let it go closer to 6 months and it was still @ 88%.

PLee

11/21/18 11:18 AM

I always carry a spare battery. Especially comes in handy when it is cold out. The camera battery can die in the cold, swap it out for a warmer battery, then put the warmed up one back in when the replacement dies.

Of course, it really won't be too cold during your trip. Daytime highs will be in the 30s.

Definitely opt for a camera with good optical zoom and, if you can, a quick lens. You'll want to catch birds in flight and you'll probably have some low light situations (around midnight or so!).

I wouldn't worry too much about water resistance. We had some klutzes on our trip and I didn't hear of any cameras finding their way into the water.

If your trip offers a chance to take a polar plunge, go for it. My only regret is not having done that.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/21/18 11:23 AM

" My only regret is not having done that."

Yeah, cause not coming home with hypothermia is a real loss. ;O ;)

I'd have to for sure...

dan emery

11/21/18 11:43 AM

Polar Plunge

Well I haven't seen that in the literature, though I'd probably do it if offered.

I guess I could try to dump a kayak...

I do sleep on the ice one night (or day?)

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/21/18 12:02 PM

Maybe in your case, not? Ask cardio doc, thinking if he sez yes, how could you not. ;) Bring your electric gloves and socks. ;)

henoch

11/21/18 2:39 PM

BTWI have a suggestion.
Since this is maybe a once in lifetime chance for these shots, if you dont mind spending more I would suggest a mirrorless dslr, this camera is as easy to use as pocket camera but the pictures will be much better, and you can get a long zoom if you really want to go crazy, if you ask me I would highly suggest the Sony a5100 , at least go to a store and see if you like how it feels in your hand https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-alpha-a5100-mirrorless-camera-with-16-50mm-retractable-lens-black/8428893.p?skuId=8428893

Reply to topic    

dan emery

11/21/18 2:53 PM

Thanks Henoch

No problem with the $, just whether I could figure out how to use it. I'll look into it.

Reply to topic    

henoch

11/21/18 3:11 PM

Yeah those have all kinds of manual options, but you can use it in full auto mode just like a pocket camera but even in full auto the shots will be superior.

Reply to topic    

henoch

11/21/18 3:14 PM

Now that I looked at Best Buy's site a bit more, if you like it, buy this one
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-alpha-a6000-mirrorless-camera-with-16-50mm-retractable-lens-black/4660008.p?skuId=4660008
Only $50 more, but it comes with a free memory card and case, and its a better camera.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

11/22/18 12:10 AM

Since the first Sony RX100 was released in 2012 I've used them as my go-to cameras when travelling (presently have an RX100 IV). The latest RX100 VI has managed to entend the zoom range to a 24-200 equivalent zoom by dropping the lens speed back a stop or so.

I have a couple of interchangeable lens cameras - a Pentax DSLR and an Olympus Pen-F, but unless I want a print larger than A3, the images from the Sony are indistinguishable from those from the cameras with the larger sensors, and the Sony fits in my pocket, which the other cameras certainly do not, so I tend to leave them behind unless my reason for a trip is mainly photography.

If all you want to do is to view photos on a screen and share them on the web and via email, then even the 1" sensor in the Sony is overkill - I bought my wife a Sony HX90V a couple of years ago, which is pretty much the same size as the RX100, and has a popup eye-level viewfinder, same as the RX100, but because it has a smaller sensor it can fit a 30x zoom lens (24-720 equivalent) into a very small body. If you want to take photographs of wildlife, then that sort of zoom range is useful.

Reply to topic    

PLee

11/22/18 7:30 AM

And, before you go, take a lesson on how to adjust the white balance on the camera to accommodate conditions. It'll make a big difference when you're in a land of white. A camera that automatically takes bracketing exposure shots would be a good idea too - every time you take a picture, the camera shoots three including one setting on either side of "optimal".

Reply to topic    

lrzipris

11/22/18 8:21 AM

Yesterday, a friend was showing me some photos on his high-end camera and, boy, were they clear and sharp! Dramatically better than the photos I've taken with my $100 point & shoot! As henoch, suggested, a once in a life time opportunity deserves better.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -