Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

OT - French Press technique?
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
April

6/10/18 7:30 PM

First crack at Aeropress...

... wasn't exactly what I would called a success.

Taste was a little better than drip coffee but far cry from French Press. That's until I figured out I probably should try the "inverted" method, as I noticed the water started dripping before i started the 'press'. So, further experimentation next weekend.

Though once I started to let it sit and soak, I'm back to the lengthy process just like with the French Press. So I'll have to see if I like the taste any better. Otherwise, I could just stick with the French Press.

The convenient factor is there. But then, so is the French Press. Aeropress does have the edge that I can take it with me camping. Though the reality being, I don't camp all that often these days. So it's mostly only a theoretical advantage at the moment.

So, more experimentation next weekend. Jeez, my "coffee project" is taking longer and longer...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

6/10/18 8:11 PM

Does anybody make coffee/caffeine patches? Like the nicotine ones for quitting smoking...

daddy-o

6/11/18 6:00 AM

tablets, 100mg iirc, a bottle of 50 for the price of a cup of coffee

I wonder if I'm taking your question too seriously

April

6/11/18 6:32 AM

quote:

I wonder if I'm taking your question too seriously

Of course you are. What about wine and beer tablets?

But it’s interesting to know some silly information, that caffeine is so addictive that they have to be taken as pills!

henoch

6/11/18 7:20 AM

I dont think they HAVE to be taken as pills, the are mostly used by people who are trying to stay awake but don't want ti drink heaps of coffee as it can affect their stomach.

Reply to topic    

April

6/11/18 10:24 AM

Aeropress is quick enough that I did another test this morning before running out to catch a train to work...

Using the "inverted" method and letting the coffee soak (steep in coffee talk). It produces stronger coffee but also more bitter. Not quite what I've been looking for. Based on what I've read so far, it's probably due to the difference between paper filter vs non-paper filter.

So I have a few more options:

1) add a paper filter to the French Press to get rid of the sludge (but it may remove too much "body" from the brew, will test this weekend)

2) try non-paper filter on the Aeropress (but it may introduce sludge?)

3) Electric Bialetti as recommended by PLee

As I have some leftover paper filter before the drip maker broke, I can try #1 this weekend. In the meantime, I'll be ordering #3 (as it's not locally available).

dan emery

6/11/18 10:44 AM

Aeropress

Of course the coffee is going to vary with the beans you use, how it is ground, and how much water and coffee you use. I don't bother to let it steep and get strong coffee I like, YMMV.

Reply to topic    

April

6/11/18 11:12 AM

Same bean, same amount of coffee and water (I vary the grind to get the best result of each brewing method). I still like the flavor of French Press by a long shot.

I believe it’s the filter that’s responsible for the different result. Because French Press and aeropressbis essentially the same process after all. Hence my plan to test the French Press with the added sludge filter.

The Bieletti of course, is an entirely different process. And it doesn’t seem too much hassle. So I’m giving that a try too.

But hopefully, my options are narrowing down not expanding.

daddy-o

6/12/18 6:50 AM

French press experiment:
When I have overflow sometimes I save it in a cup, like yesterday. I noticed the tolerances of my press plunger would allow a piece of uncut filter paper on the coffee side, so I tried it. It worked, normal setup, paper push. Once today's had cooled down, the two room temperature brews tasted equivalent. YMMV

Sparky

6/12/18 11:41 AM

I only use the press with a piece of paper filter. As I said above, it is just a slow press, but worth the extra 45 seconds. Just put the press on something that won't allow a slide during the extra pressure of pushing to overcome the added filter.

daddy-o

6/12/18 2:11 PM

There you have it, two sources, the matter is settled. ;-)

dan emery

6/12/18 3:56 PM

Can't miss

April dislikes the quality created by a paper filter, and the time and inconvenience of a French press. So by adding a filter to the press, she gets the worst at all worlds! But possibly she avoids a few grounds, which you you don't have to drink anyway.

In my lifetime I've drank so much coffee that goes through a paper filter that I don't conceive of that as a problem, but hey, I'm not a coffee blogger!

Reply to topic    

April

6/12/18 7:36 PM

Dan is correct

... in his logic. If what I read was true, I probably won’t like the paper filter in the French Press.

But it’s an easy test to verify the theorey. So that’s what I’ll do the coming weekend, rather than accepting the conclusion derived by Dan. ;-)

If I like the result, however unlikely according to Dan’s excellent logic, there’re ready made paper filter made for French Press one can buy. So I wouldn’t have to cut them every morning as Dan suggested. It would simply be like a regular French Press.

I like this morning discussion of the various coffee brewing experimentations. Brighten up the day almost as effective as a strong cup of coffee! :)

April

6/15/18 7:27 AM

Verified

Today I work from home. So there's time to make another brewing experimentation.

As both Dan and myself expected, French Press with paper filter delivered similar result as AeroPress. Actually, slightly worse from one aspect. As my hand-cut paper filter didn't EXACTLY match the shape of the plunger, some sludge got through. Though it wasn't objectionable amount. So in that regard, it was a success in REDUCING the sludge. But unfortunately, it reduced the flavor considerably.

(I dumped that pot and made another one without the paper filter, the "usual" configuration. It reminded me what I like about the brew result of the French Press)

I'll do the last round of experimentation with Bialetti next week. That should conclude my coffee maker quest.

Sparky

6/15/18 11:18 AM

April

6/22/18 12:09 PM

???

The best way to cut paper filter to fit for someone strongly dislike paper filter? Thanks for sharing. ;-)

How about the best bacon in Saudi Arabia? :o)

(Hope someone who likes paper find the demonstration helpful though)

The Bialetti arrived, just in time for the weekend coffee brewing experimentation :D

April

6/23/18 8:46 AM

the electric Bialetti live up to the hype. (friend of mine heard I've got a Bialetti said "oh, they're supposed to be the real deal")

Brew was just as good, if not even better than even the French Press!

But the process needs work. Right now, the electric heater is really slow. On the other hand, since it has a auto shut off, I could do other breakfast'y work in the mean time. The more daunting issue is the Bialetti itself is hot so can't be cleaned till it cools down. That makes it quite impossible to brew-n-run in the morning.

It also came with a milk frosing thingy which I will try tomorrow. If that piece works, it's staying. But I might need to decide on something else as a brew-n-run option.

April

6/30/18 9:41 AM

Winner!

Today I used the milk frother that came with the electric Bialetti. It's way better than the one in my old (now dead) Cappuccino maker. It froth milk in less than 30 second without needing any attention. Clean up was a no brainer too.

I'm sold. Even if it's for frothing milks only, it justified its position in my kitchen! And it also makes smooth and strong tasting coffee. So it's a clear winner!

This little workhorse is what I got: https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/gourmia-cordless-electric-espresso-pot-milk-frother-combo-in-black/1061220638?Keyword=gourmia

I made myself a large cup of Americana. I never order that in most coffee place because I usually found the milk dilutes the coffee too much. But with the strong coffee this thing makes, it works out great with the frothed milk.

Only (but significant) drawback is it takes far longer time to make the coffee ready (albeit no attention needed). And even longer wait for it to cool down before I can clean it. Not a problem if I'm working from home, but not ideal if I'm running out the door at crack of dawn to work/ride/ski.

So it's not for the rush-out-the-door morning coffee. For that, I'll have to go for either a Kerig setup with a reusable filter or just a plain-n-simple drip coffee maker for days when I'll drink coffee of whatever quality.

Still, I can see I'll use the Bialetti far more frequently than my previous espresso maker because it's far less hassle and still very good result (for my personal taste).

Maybe one day, when I retire, I'll get another espresso maker for those really boring days that I have nothing else to do but enjoy the "fruit" of my life's labor. ;)

daddy-o

12/4/18 10:07 AM

After that many months of paper filters I quit; so I'm back to sludge in the bottom of the cup. I usually leave an inch of coffee on top if it, so what's the point. Now I'm back to pressing like it's a TNT detonator and I'd forgotten how satisfying that is, and symbolic to boot.

Now, about coffee and acid reflux

My GF sold me on Kona, no more evening time burning like French Roast.

The problem is Kona disappears from the shelves sometimes.

I tried Summatra and darn if it's the tropical breeze or something, but it works. Plus it's pretty dark, almost like French.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -