Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Knee Overhaul
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

6/26/18 1:47 PM

Thanks Greg

I'd say you've shown fortitude beyond anything I've needed.

I love Maine and it's not to blame for my various debacles - well, in the South I guess I wouldn't have fallen iceskating on a river, but I'm sure I could find something else.

Where are you now? I recall you were moving down into horse country somewhere. I'm getting involved in a legal project in eastern Kentucky, and should be spending some time down there, around Prestonsburg. Gotta be some good riding I'm thinking.

And a day after the shot my knee feels great. I know it's just the top of the first inning, not getting excited yet.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

6/27/18 8:29 AM

Still in Pa until August, then on to Charlottesville. If you get down that way, by all means give me a shout, there is great riding all along the Blue Ridge.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

daddy-o

6/27/18 12:22 PM

I lived in Keswick for a few years, on a little road called "Clark's Tract." Yes, William Clark's tract of land granted to him after he and Meriwether Lewis returned from their expedition.

Lot's of history out there, nuggets like that all over the place. Nice riding too, rolling, tree canopy routes are not hard to find.

Despite living most of my life on the east coast I thought the summer would be less tropical next to the mountains. It isn't. But it isn't South Carolina either.

greglepore

6/27/18 2:43 PM

Funny, I learned to swim at the Keswick club before it was the ritzy joint it is now. Big money over there these days.

daddy-o

6/27/18 2:56 PM

So you know the summer climate.

dan emery

6/29/18 4:07 AM

Shot report

So far the cortisone shot has been extremely effective. The swelling in the knee is way down and the knee feels normal. This makes me realize how screwed up it has been, for a long time actually. Can't wait to ride, but I'm off the bike for a week.

How long it lasts is a crapshoot, as the ortho says. I'll keep up the PT and build up activity gradually.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

6/29/18 6:09 AM

I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better; after all of the physical issues you've had, you deserve a break. Hopefully, you'll be good to go for Bike Maine in September.

Reply to topic    

April

6/29/18 7:08 AM

quote:
The swelling in the knee is way down and the knee feels normal. This makes me realize how screwed up it has been, for a long time actually.

That sounds good. Hopefully, it breaks the bad cycle and you're on your way back to normal.

Now you just have to be real careful in ramping back up so you don't trigger the swelling again.

dan emery

6/29/18 7:37 AM

Thanks Brian and April

Yes, I'm taking it slow, hoping to just get everything working well mechanically this year without worrying too much about endurance, etc.

Brian, before BikeMaine I'm registered for the PEI Gran Fondo in August, which I know you've enjoyed. If I do that I doubt I'll do the long ride. With both events I'll do them to the extent I feel I can, but if I'm not there physically I won't worry about it.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

6/29/18 2:49 PM

We didn't do the long ride and never felt like we missed out on anything. We had a lot of fun, made a new friend and the ride was plenty hard enough. Enjoy yourself, that's what it's all about at our age!

Reply to topic    

dan emery

11/30/18 12:45 PM

update

Well since no one is posting about much, I'll update my knee situation - there seemed to be some interest in cortisone and other shots, etc.

This Spring my knee was a mess with arthritis, and it hurt to ride. I had a cortisone shot in June. I did pretty intensive PT for a couple weeks and continue to do exercises daily.

After the shot the swelling went way down and the knee was much improved - I had a slight glitch riding but a big improvement. After a few weeks the knee started to regress a bit, and looked a bit deformed as a bony section was sticking out on the outside of the knee. Not really swelling, more like misalignment. I could still ride pretty well, though the knee was noticeable.

Recently, the knee has rallied and now looks and functions mostly normal. I don't think about it when riding.

A theory for the shot was that it gives you a window for PT to be effective, and if you keep the PT up you can make a big improvement. That seems to be what happened. Of course, it may also be normal waxing and waning of symptoms. But I'll take it.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/30/18 3:50 PM

Good news... always good, in your case great to read. ;)

I am sitting at the cardio office about to go in for the flow/function/valve peeaboo ultra sound tests.

dan emery

11/30/18 4:50 PM

Watch the monitor

Far from Valentine's Day, the ticker In action looks like something out of Ghostbusters. And I got to watch it in full A-Fib....

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/30/18 5:45 PM

" got to watch it in full A-Fib..ot to watch it in full A-Fib.."

Induced, or just on it's own?

She was explaining the freeze frame and trace contracted vs expanded volume mapping etc. And how the ratio/difference is important. She did not want to use tech terms as to confuse me apparently. ;)

dan emery

11/30/18 6:09 PM

Just doin' it

Yikes, I wouldn't be enthusiastic about inducing A-Fib. My one and to my knowledge only incidence of A-Fib took place when I was hospital for shoulder hardware removal, and they did an echo right in the middle of it.

I suspect the ratio they were talking about may be ejection fraction, sort of a measure of how well the heart is pumping. But I really don't know much about that.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/30/18 7:34 PM

ejection fraction

that sounds right...

I also saw my Duke Treadmill Score in the file from the stress test. It can be a neg or pos #.

I am a 12+. Considering +5 or greater = .25% one year mortality rate. I will have to go out of my way to kill myself with a cardiac event... most likely. ;)

One year mortality for the results of the Duke treadmill score in one study has been reported as:

less or equal to -11: 5.25%
4 to -10: 1.25%
more or equal to 5: 0.25%

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -