HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

VLC ripping (tech)

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
daddy-o

4/28/18 5:38 AM

VLC ripping (tech)

This is in the weeds for most everybody, but there are a few podcast/VLC users who might benefit. I'll end up using this for my notes just in case I don't do this again for 6 months. ---so why not share.

I didn't want to re-open "Indoor Cycling" for a tangent, but this is the thread where VLC was mentioned this winter:
http://cyclingforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=159858&highlight=vlc#159858

VLC technique update (with politics!):
Setup:
Today wanted to listen to our President's half-hour prompted monologue on Fox and Friends.

New-found technique:
Being a half-hour, it takes maybe 10 minutes for this laptop to rip MP3 from a YouTube stream like this.
The approach starts the same: Advanced open>Network>paste URL>etc>pause>right-click/save> new technique
There's a 'save' choice "dump raw input."
Considering how fast 128MB downloads I gave it a shot and it worked. A few seconds for a half-hour of video.
Then I tried save/converting the local file the old way and it was just as slow.
Next try: At the save/convert ...settings the 'profile' setting allows new profiles. There are three buttons, 'new profile' looks like a sheet of paper.
Under 'encapsulation' click MP3, under the Audio Codec tab check ✔ Audio, the default is 128kbps, everything was left default
Give the new profile a good name
Test using the new profile, it will be at the bottom of the pull-down.
--Instead of 10 minutes to rip, it ripped in less than 10 seconds, and sounds fine. Stock profile bitrate was 192-, this is 128- and the feed is 128- (~650- total bitrate audio/video)
--download took 10 seconds, ...rip 10 seconds and the process setup time is the same.
Plus I came up out of it with an HD MP4 of our President making the hosts of Fox and Friends uncomfortable for 30 minutes. --An MP4 that can't be removed.
---One last thing, It's probable that the "dump raw input" step can be skipped but I didn't test that and it's nice to know anyway.

OKAY, time to swing my leg over the saddle, it's Saturday and 70!

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

4/28/18 10:34 AM

I must be missing something. Fiddling, I get an empty file.

daddy-o

4/29/18 11:04 AM

Follow up

"Dump raw input"
Works great the next day, but I had to save without an extension and add one to the downloaded file. That important detail didn't make it into the document. The only type I've seen so far is MP4.

"MP3 rip"
False alarm, I couldn't duplicate it today either. The best I could do today was one third the bitrate, and marginally faster. Ripping a local file doesn't seem to make a difference. At this level what's the point if you have to take a stopwatch to it.

It's easy to get lost down that rabbit hole.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -