CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Does anyone here on the TTF have a Honda Fit?
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

4/30/18 1:26 PM

Does anyone here on the TTF have a Honda Fit?

In the recesses of my minds eye [such as that is] I seem to recall someone here does.

We added a Fit to the Complement of Honda cars here.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dfcas

4/30/18 3:52 PM

I seem to remember it was a poster named Ray?

Sparky

4/30/18 6:34 PM

'Fits' a 61CM bike with both wheels on, just a 90^ turn of the bars...

Jesus Saves

5/1/18 9:18 AM

No it was not the Ray from Click n Clack ;-), but...

The gentleman (name escapes me) from The Land of Steady Habits (Connecticut) purchased a used, early model Fit versus purchasing a used Nissan Versus. It was debated here maybe a year or two ago. I don't think he's chimed in here in a while.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/1/18 12:47 PM

Blogish comments:

It started out I just wanted a new '5 Star Crash Rated' good mileage car to and quit driving 90s good condition cars.

Tired [my back is] of doing the repairs to keep them better than average, and the crash rating thing... Considering the recent history of two major accidents in our family from folks txt-ing and running into us and all.

I test drove the Fit Sport 6 speed, it was cool fun and cheap. Even 'just' a snappy responsive car. ;) But the CVT Auto gets a lot better mileage, WTF?.

That and if Elaine needs to drive it, her clutch skills are non existent anymore. She drove the Del Sol one day and took 50k out of the clutch. So I don't wanna pay for or do a clutch. The Del Sol clutch operation almost caused this old back to need an operation. ;)

Thus gas prices rising fast, and Elaine still commuting 1000 miles a mo., Shift purpose, she picked car/color and now I am driving the CR-V/AWD. So I get a 6 month old car instead of new, no complaint. And don't even have to turn the front wheel of a 61CM bike in the back. ;)

We gave up the Sport package in favor of the CVT/Auto, loosing the alloy 16"s for steel 15". She has an occasional curbing habit that gets costly with alloys frankly. The non lower profile tires are quieter and the car rides a little better for us old farts.

Not bad for a just shy of $17k car. She likes it's cute factor a lot. Ordered headlight eyelashes for the headlights. The wheel covers in the pic are not the Origs, which offended me they were so "BLEAK' pale silver and ugly as sin looking.

Getting 35 MPG by 3rd day. Hoping for 40 once broken in et al.

The CR-V/AWD gets 28.5MPG, which for it's size weight and AWD is nothing to complain about. It should be mostly broken in @ 8k miles now. The totaled out 2015 CR-V/AWD edged 30 MPG, just popping over 1/2 the time..

BTW: the seating config in the Fit has a lot of smart design and implementation. Have a close look if in the market for something similar. The folding options may alone make the car a Fit.

They dub them "Magic Seats", innovative and useful, yes. Magic? I dunno bout that. ;)

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

5/2/18 2:26 PM

I've owned two a 13 and a 15

Liked both although to allow for a sunroof in the 15 it decreased height in the rear cabin and my bikes (58cm) no longer stand up directly(I have to "jam the seat up against the roof liner as best as I can) Great "go to races" car, I can fit two bikes (front wheels removed)spare pit wheels, a trainer, floor pump, toolbox, gear bags etc etc in the rear.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/2/18 8:30 PM

I had stopped with a 61CM bike in 2013 just to see how the bike fit in the back and was impressed.

Elaine has adopted it, and I am in the CR-V. I have no problem with that. Was not my plan to out her of the CR-V, but the MPG and her commute, and it is red [she wanted a red CR-V]... The CR-V is a deep blue metallic. I thought it was to big to be Red personally, but the fit is the same color as the Del Sol, Milano Red. Looks good on small car IMO.

I noticed the sunroof really lowered the head liner. I test drove a cool yellow Metallic 2014 EX leather heated seats with 50k for not enough less money than the new LX to go for it.

April

5/3/18 5:11 AM

“Blogish comment”

I seem to remember a non-blogish comment a couple years back naming TTF as a blog...

Another message board that I used to frequent went dark this week. That’s the 3rd one in the past year.

Sparky

5/3/18 10:38 AM

Point being?

EDIT: I am a little slow today I guess. ;)

"I seem to remember a non-blogish comment a couple years back naming TTF as a blog"

I seem to recall that as well.

Last edited by Sparky on 5/3/18 7:53 PM; edited 1 time in total

daddy-o

5/3/18 4:43 PM

Let's be glad for what we've got. -was my takeaway

Jesus Saves

5/4/18 5:58 AM

CVTs are nice but may need a little bit more TLC than an automatic. For instance, Nissan recommends changing thw CVT fluid every 60,000 miles. The fluid is expensive, and should only use the specific fluid that the manufacturer recommends. Consult your car's manual.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/10/18 9:26 PM

Fit MPG shaping up nicely...

Right at about 600 total miles the MPG computer on the Fit readout is reporting 38.5 MPG AVG. We are pleased, and thought we'd not see the best until well broken in. So maybe this will top 40 MPG eventually.

Use is mostly work commute of 23 miles each way Mon-Fri. The route is arguably a good set of roads and speeds for good efficiency/fuel use. In the morning anyway. ;)

Route consists of 3-4 miles local roads with probably 7-8 signals total. And the rest on 55 MPH State and Interstate by-pass highways where if you do less than 65 you get run off the road.

Return trip takes 20-30 minute longer due to traffic flow with stop and go here and there. The morning is smooth sailing being Elaine leaves the house 5:30ish a.m.

She actually takes a 1-2 minute longer route to avoid the intersection at which the 2015 CRV got totalled. She 'in fact' enters the State Hyway the same place the idiot blew the light, only she goes right there. All three drivers here do this since the accident actually.

Sparky

5/15/18 10:21 AM

OK, 39.4 MPG avgerage reported by onboard display. Meanwhile with my heavy foot and A/C on the CRV is at an all time low of 26.1. I tried the eco mode for a few days, no result. Well, other than the sluggish response off the line I mean. ;(

Jesus Saves

5/15/18 10:55 AM

CVT is a little bit different driving than an auto. A CVT is more like driving a golf cart, except smoother and not as jerky. To get the best of a CVT, gas mileage and acceleration, you gradually increase at a *constant* level of pressure on the pedal to accelerate. That is there is no gear jumps like with an auto, as in once it shifts, you back off the pedal a little. If you floor a CVT, the engine makes a lot of noise while the tranny's flywheel tries to catch up - not that efficient way to drive.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

5/15/18 11:58 AM

That's why I'm skeptical about auto makers' claims that CVTs get better fuel economy than a manual. Perhaps that's true on the government test loop, but not in the real world.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/15/18 12:28 PM

"skeptical about auto makers' claims that CVTs get better fuel economy"

Based on info from the epa.gov site, the top the 6 speed fit gets is less than CVT by 4. The guy we now have bought 3 Hondas from said his customers are getting 33 most from the 6 speed, and 40 CVT. Thus seeing 39.# on a car with 800 miles on it is a good sign. I think he knew we were buying one or the other. ;)

Elaine also gets 2+ more MPG on the CRV than I. I bet I would get lower on the Fit due to lead foot. She apparently is more compatible with CVT efficiency than I. ;)

I still would have liked to get the 6 speed just because it was fun to drive. But we changed tack for her to drive the fit due to 1000 miles of work commute and better MPG. [11.4 higher for her foot]

I still ride the bike more than I drive, and have done mostly or a decade except for a 6 month inspecting gig I did. At least that gave me a 5 speed to drive for that. ;)

Jesus Saves

5/15/18 12:40 PM

Unless I live in the boonies - there's no way I would own a manual t car ....that has less than 10 cylinders ;-)

Manual tranny gas mileage was exceeded quite some time ago by other tranny types.

For instance, my Nissan Cube is rated 27/31 mpg for CVT and for the manual transmission 25/30 mpg. In the real world...during warmer months like now, I typically get 30 - 34 mpg of mix city/highway driving. In the dead of winter my combined gas mileage rating is 29-30mpg. I know from other Cube owners, with mannys, they don't come close to the CVT.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/15/18 1:33 PM

"that has less than 10 cylinders ;-) "

dan emery

5/15/18 3:45 PM

Passed a Fit on the road today

That is one teeny-tiny mobile.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/15/18 4:36 PM

It is a little like a TARDIS, bigger on the inside. Relativity and all that.

daddy-o

5/15/18 4:47 PM

Friends don't let friends be hypermilers.

Seriously though, dictating everyone's pace for a mileage PR raises the collective blood pressure. But Sparky drove a GTO, he knows better.

Sparky

5/15/18 6:10 PM

"Sparky drove a GTO"

1970 Olds 442 W-30 Convertible actually. We did have a rat 67 goat convertible roll though mid 70s though...

"Friends don't let friends be hypermilers."

Elaine likes it and it has a 5 star crash rating. I think an amount of folks for a 2nd car could appreciate and assimilate the data.

daddy-o

5/15/18 6:37 PM

Aiming for good mileage is different from hypermiling. Sounds like you guys found 3 out of 3 with this one, good news. 4-4-2, between accusations of hypermiling and getting my facts wrong I think I found a career in politics. A GTO is no 4-4-2.

Sparky

5/15/18 7:25 PM

"A GTO is no 4-4-2."

I'll be the 'Judge' of that... ';)

Kinda the same GM car if you think about it.

Sparky

5/15/18 7:34 PM

Or, interestingly enough I saw this looking for those pics.

Apparently even though there is no more Pontiac, GM is making a Camero in Drag and calling it a Pontiac Judge RI?

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -