HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

refrigerator water filtration problem

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Jesus Saves

5/11/18 10:09 AM

refrigerator water filtration problem

I just replaced my carbon-block based water filter in my refrigerator. I usually buy a couple at a time. This time, I ordered a few more to restock, plus a digital water quality gadget.

I tested my tap water and filtered water with the gadget. They both gave a particle reading of approximately 200 parts per million. That measurement is what you should expect from the tap sourcing a municipal water line. Essentially, the water filter is basically filtering out nothing. My very sensitive taste buds confirm the same; I was originally suspect and wanted to measure with a device to confirm.

Prior to using this water filter, I returned another set, because after installation, the taste of the filtered water's gritty taste was more pronounced.

At this point I am scratching my head. All of my purchases in the past have been through Amazon and ones whereby they are highly reviewed by many reviewers.

A couple of years ago this was not an issue. That is, same water supply, same refrigerator and clean tasting water. I'm meticulous with the installation, including reviewing the specs. It's still a tight seal installing the filter and I drain/run through a couple of gallons of water before use. I could not find the filters that worked well, years ago, to be available for purchase.

The one common factor amongst the three sets of water filters is that they are all manufactured in China perhaps in the same factory/supplier and just rebranded. However, other reviewers do not seem to have an issue - too many reviews to be all from sock puppets. So it must be something with my setup, I guess.....what could that be?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/11/18 10:29 AM

"water's gritty taste"

I hate that dirty taste, seems like dirt in the water. It is not necessarily bad though, [for you]. In fact if you only drank RO water, you may need to supplement your mineral intake I have read.

For drinking water, OJ from concentrate, bike bottles etc, I have an upper end RO [Reverse Osmosis] system.

I used to run it to the fridge for ice/door water, but too much load. The RO systems have slow recovery and the fridge and sink spout was too much. And mine is a bigger system. But you can only press so much volume through the membrane and it is not fast recovery.

My RO tap is a separate little dispenser mounted at the kitchen sink. I still use tap water for tea/coffee, especially tea needs the minerals or tastes blah to me.

Anyway, recommend the investment. If you want you drinking water not to taste like anything, as it shouldn't.
I call it an Aquifina dispenser. One of the few bottled water on the market that uses RO process. We still buy that by the case and keep it in the car in a insulated bag, this take load of the RO system. Water tastes [or rather has no taste] equally.

Last edited by Sparky on 5/11/18 12:45 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Jesus Saves

5/11/18 12:34 PM

Thanks. It's still a mystery to me why it is not filtering out particles, including relatively large ones like sediment/dirt.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/11/18 12:50 PM

How small a particle is the question, I don't think anything is like RO in this department.

BTW, my system was in the 1400.00 range 15 years ago. Just the system. I got it after a door to door tried to sell it to me installed for $3.5k. You shoulda seen the sediment testing he did on my tap water during his pitch. I knew I had to have it, but not for the extra partial cost of a good bike I'd have to not buy. ;)

An important aspect the smaller systems don't include is a self flushing cycle. I have a 1/4" drain flush outlet that just goes into the house drain. I suppose you could aim it into a potted flower pot or something. ;) The plant would appreciate the dirt in the water more than I.

Marc N.

5/11/18 1:10 PM

Carbon is not really a filter

Carbon will improve the taste and smell of water, but unless it has something else mixed in, it is not a filter in the sense you mean.

Jesus Saves

5/11/18 1:36 PM

Marc ..I do not understand your contradictory comments, "Carbon will improve the taste " and "not a filter in the sense you mean"

All I commented on is about the taste of the water. Only until recently has taste been an issue with using carbon filters.

Sparky, I will consider RO, but I like the idea of not having other gear. The fridge filter is a rather tidy solution for a basic requirement. Thanks.

Reply to topic    

Marc N.

5/11/18 1:46 PM

My meaning was that carbon has the ability to absorb the effects of the chlorine used to disinfect the water, so that it will improve the taste and smell but does not have the ability by itself to filter out grit or other particles that might be making their way to your tap.

Sparky

5/11/18 3:36 PM

"I like the idea of not having other gear"

The RO will totally blow any possibility of under sink cabinet space, be warned. The other side of the wall of my kitchen is the water heater, and I mounted the RO system and pressure tank on a shelf above the WH. 3/8" plastic pipe feed to it and from it to the spout.

This is representative of the bulk of a 6 stage RO system.

daddy-o

5/11/18 6:05 PM

all manufactured in China perhaps in the same factory/supplier and just rebranded.

Is it an OEM/aftermarket issue?

April

5/11/18 7:15 PM

2 types of filters

Chemical and mechanical. I think carbon is a chemical filter.

Chemical removes “stuff” by chemical reaction. Doesn’t matter how big or small of those chemical materials.

Mechanical filter removes particles larger than certain size.

Sounds like Your measuring gizmo measures particles of certain size? If so, it’s not measuring the effectiveness of the carbon filter.

[/list]

Sparky

5/11/18 7:18 PM

There should be a micron spec involved.

Beach Sand needs 40 micron to 500 micron filters (if you can see sand only)
Fine grit needs 20 to 40 micron filters (if you see or feel grit and sand)
Silt 5 to 20 micron filters (discolored and muddy)
Cryptosporidium & Giardia Cysts need 1 micron filters (not visible to the naked eye)

Paper, String and Poly Spun for Rust and Sediment - from 5 to 40 microns.
Carbon block is 0.5 microns

For city water and other chlorinated water supplies.
RS1 20 Micron or TO1 10 Micron
RS7 40 Micron or RS2 5 Micron

For well water systems
RS3 20 Micron or RS2 5 Micron
TO3 10 Micron or RS7 40 Micron

Carbon Wrapped for taste and odors.
TO1 10 Micron - City Water / TO3 10 Micron - Well Water

Carbon Block for taste and odors plus reducing bacteria. Cryptosporidium and Giardia cysts:
CB1 0.5 Micron or CB3 0.5 Micron - plus metals and VOCs

Reverse osmosis filters have a pore size around
0.0001 micron. After water passes through a
reverse osmosis filter, it is essentially pure water.
In addition to removing all organic molecules
and viruses, reverse osmosis also removes most mine
rals that are present in the water. Reverse
osmosis removes monovalent ions, which means that it desalinates the water.

Jesus Saves

5/12/18 5:03 AM

The device confirms my taste buds. I tried it out on a tasteless bottle of spring water and it measured 23 parts per million. There is no issue with the device.

The filters are not OEM. I could not source OEMs for Jenn Air refridge. Water is definitively passing through the filter.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

5/12/18 8:46 AM

A new carbon filter will produce "fines" at first, which are very tiny loose particles of carbon. Initially, the water may appear slightly clouded with extremely small bubbles. It will also have a discernible texture to the tongue, a very subtle grittiness similar to what you described. This may be what your testing device is detecting. The fines are harmless and will be washed out after a few gallons have passed through the filter.

That said, it's possible that the filter is poor quality and more porous than it should be, thus allowing larger particles to pass through.

There should be no taste or odor, as the carbon adsorbs both. If you taste anything, the filter is probably junk.

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

5/13/18 12:35 PM

Agreed. Thanks. I wrote an email to the filter company 's customer support. I'll see what their response is.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/13/18 6:00 PM

Did you soak the filter., or is that even possible with it's type and construction?

Jesus Saves

5/14/18 4:14 AM

No, but the prep work is to run about a half dozen gallons of water through the filter before you use it for himan consumption. Thanks.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -