HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Auto nav systems
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
henoch

4/12/18 7:48 AM

There is one other (sometime) downside that I have found with using my phone for nav, (actually a couple) it eats up your data pretty fast so if you aren't on a unlimited plan you have to keep an eye on that, but my bigger issue is that sometimes I will get. phone call or something right when I need. to make a turn and then I can't see the map, not a big deal usually but it has happened occasionally.

Reply to topic    

April

4/12/18 1:22 PM

quote:
my bigger issue is that sometimes I will get. phone call or something right when I need. to make a turn and then I can't see the map

I've had that happened (for the first time recently).

I made the choice of NOT answering the call but concentrate on driving. Yes, the screen got obscured for a moment. But the voice instruction was good enough to keep me on track.

Depending on which in-car nav system you have, the same problem can be present there too. Mine does. Though instead of the entire screen got obscured, only part of the screen got covered up. Slightly better I guess.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

sanrensho

4/12/18 1:27 PM

The data usage issue can be addressed by using a navigation app with offline maps, such as CoPilot (which I have used and can recommend).

Reply to topic    

April

4/12/18 3:53 PM

I have the lowest data plan on my phone, split between me and my Mom. I rarely come close to my limits except when I was on extended travel and was using the MIFI device (personal hot spot teetered to the laptop) to work remotely.

If you do streaming and such, I suspect your data usage will be dominated by that instead of the nav function.

Sparky

4/12/18 4:51 PM

I am not as concerned about data use as needing the map data if out in the boonies and no service to upload the next segment to the app. Thus my previous comment. Google maps allows for DL of map segments, but you have to manage refreshing them. They are 30 days available, then you have to diddle. PITA if you have a lot of them.

I have also used PDF maps in the phone, no placement via GPS. But I used maps to find myself for a few years before GPS came along. And charts for seat of the pants in the puddle jumpers.

Steve B.

4/12/18 5:37 PM

Ditto Co-Pilot. The maps reside on the phone and I’ve found the functionality to be far superior to any Garmin car unit I’ve ever used. $10 and free updates maps forever, as far as I know.

Reply to topic    

Marc N.

4/12/18 9:07 PM

Waze

I don`t know if it is just us, but in Israel everyone uses Waze and I find it flawless. Since it is an active app, not only does it give directions, but also traffic conditions, accidents, speed traps, etc. If there is an accident, it will immediately correct and send you to an alternate route. When I was last in the U.S. I used it without incident. It is a great app.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -