HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Facebook "data breach"?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
April

4/5/18 6:05 PM

Facebook "data breach"?

I tried but ultimately failed to keep up with the gun debate while having a ski vacation at the same time. Every time I barely finish reading up the post I didn't read, the thread went to a new episode. The frequency of shooting doesn't help my catching up...

I don't know if everybody is too caught up on that, or people are tired of arguing, but...

Facebook is being grilled for letting some "research" project run some app to collect some PUBLIC personal data. Somehow I found the outrage a little difficult to understand.

What do Facebook users expect in terms of "privacy"? I don't have a FB account so I haven't face that issue yet.

Further more, FB is being criticized for not able to prevent misuse that had never happened before. How's that possible???

Equifax lost PRIVATE data and got zero sanction from the government. Facebook's PUBLIC data had been used by some rather clever people, and people are talking about regulating?

I'll trade my gun and FB handle for your social security number and birthday. Anyone?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

4/5/18 6:33 PM

Point well made.

April

4/6/18 1:56 PM

How much focus is put on issues that USED TO BE important but no longer relevant, vs issues that IS relevant now?

Take the trade war. Aluminum, steel "products". How about DVD's, or printed flyers and brochures? One of my long time riding buddy USED TO have a thriving business in printed brochures and marketing materials. In the span of a few years, all the print jobs had gone to China! PDF file out, with a click of a mouse. Boxes of flyers delivered! He's now sliding grocers at checkout counters. (I didn't ask detail on why it's cheaper to print in China, even with added shipping cost)

Rumor I head 3D printing shops are springing up in China like bamboo shoots!

Is this forum as a group that much better than the Trump voters, who wants their job "back", long after it already evaporated?

dan emery

4/7/18 4:24 PM

FB etc

I'm not on Facebook so I can't really comment, but I assume that it and other groups like LinkedIn are in business to screw you by selling your info, and that anything I put on the internet is available to anyone who really wants to get it. Am I missing something?

"Please allow us to ransack your contacts but don't worry we'll erase the info after we connect you with your fiends." U gotta be kidding me...

Reply to topic    

dfcas

4/7/18 4:42 PM

FB keeps asking me to secure my login recovery by giving them my phone number. Yeah,right

I assume anything I put on FB will be public but I don't care. I even put my birthday in wrong.

What's curious is to google something and then it shows up in my fb feed. I really need to start using DuckDuckGo.

daddy-o

4/7/18 6:56 PM

Searching a EULA

EULA: End User Licensing Agreement

The thirty screen page thing we agree to with a click.

Nobody reads them, how about a query? a search?

CTRL + F = Find

What are some good words to find inside an EULA?

"Expire" "Submit" "give" right, exclusive, change, express, no, without, prior, perpetual, without, notice, class

Suggestions?

April

4/7/18 8:32 PM

quote:
that anything I put on the internet is available to anyone who really wants to get it. Am I missing something?

That’s what I assume too. So maybe you and I are missing that same something?

I don’t know what that something is. But it appeares people are grilling FB about it. So ...

Surprise me the other day when a riding buddy who’s a judge asked me which messaging app is more secure. I thought of all people a judge should know, if you don’t want any of your personal information be known, it’s best not put it in a text massage!

daddy-o

4/11/18 1:46 PM

The problem isn't public data.

What happened - and can still happen:

• Someone's Facebook Friend chose to use an app with a security scheme that grants the app all of the rights of the user.
  • All of the data privately shared with that friend became available to the app.
  • FB users did this on their phones and computers, it doesn't matter, the rights and data are on the server end.
  • Imagine someone with a thousand friends. All of the private data the user could see was absorbed.
  • App publishers created their private subset of FB user data.
  • The data was no longer under FB control.
  • The data was perhaps no longer owned by FB.
  • The data was NOT the user's friends' property, they signed it away to FB in the EULA.
  • Companies like Cambridge Analytica bought copies of those App publisher's data sets.
  • With the aggregated data fantastically accurate profiles were created of millions of people.
  • Many apps were published by Russian authors. Chinese, Indian, American, etc.
If you automatically log on to Google understand
  • Google has a copy of every query you've made
  • Android is Google
  • Chrome is Google
  • Surf on Chrome all you like without being logged in - check your GMail once, the local browser DB is uploaded and matched to your ID.
  • Don't log onto a Chrome browser used by a criminal, deviant, addict, etc, just don't.(see above)
  • Ever see "googleanalytics" flash by? Those are B2B exchanges of what you do on the internet
  • Any phone with Chrome automatically logged on to Google is tracked everywhere it goes - storage is cheap - they never delete.
Giving in to iPhone and Windows phone reminders that 'your phone is still not set up,' and letting it remember your password will facilitate the same goal to create a profile of you to 'monetize.'

Remember when people kept saying 'nobody knows who you are on the internet?'

dan emery

4/11/18 4:18 PM

Thanks Daddy

Except that nobody here understands that sh*t except you and 3 others.

But everyone should understand that massive elements of the internet want to f*** you over, and sell anything that anyone wants to buy.

I do online banking and stuff, but I know that all that could be stolen if anyone wanted it bad enough. I just figure there are lots of bigger fish to go after first.

And, professionally and personally, I don't put anything in email I wouldn't be comfortable posted for the world to see.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

4/11/18 6:19 PM

I know, I know, it's in the weeds, but April asked and I figured she's in the business so it might help her. It also helped me to turn it into bullets. I've never trusted apps but not for the reason that's making the headlines, security but not data trawling.

Stay skeptical.

Want to download a copy of what Google has on you? These are legit.

With this one Google will fulfill your request to assemble a download of your data on file, photos, maps, docs, history, etc. They will notify you when it is ready (maybe a day or two.) You may end up with multiple gigabytes.
https://takeout.google.com/

This one is your Google History. It's a lot more up front, no waiting, no notifications. YouTube history too.
https://myactivity.google.com/myactivity

April

4/11/18 9:44 PM

quote:
professionally and personally, I don't put anything in email I wouldn't be comfortable posted for the world to see.

That’s the right attitude.

And that’s my point. People are getting “free” services from FB. Who do they think is paying for it? Then ask yourself which part of your usage you are willing to share with advertisers, and whoever else wish to pay for it! So why are people so upset that those information were shared?

But this is not:

quote:
I do online banking and stuff, but I know that all that could be stolen if anyone wanted it bad enough.

The online banking protocol is quite secure. If you guard your password carefully, it’s extremely difficult to crack.

However, the bank itself may get hacked and your data & money are at risk EVEN when you only bank in person!

Jesus Saves

4/12/18 4:24 AM

You do not need to use any online services for your information to be on the web. For instance, in NJ, anyone can look up your address and the valye of your home if you are a property homeowner. I can cite many more examples.

Reply to topic    

April

4/12/18 6:53 AM

Not just NJ.

I once needed to find the address of a friend who lives in CT. Went online and found it on the first try. (he had a long first and last name, unique)

Jesus Saves

4/12/18 7:43 AM

I read a Wired (tech) magazine article about 10 years ago about how prisons were trying to find solutions to inmates using cell phones including jamming cell signals. They are considered contraband, of course, with the top concern being that an innmate can order a "hit" (retribution) on someone on the outside. The article mentioned how easy it is to finda lot of personal information, online, mostly for free and with little effort. I gave it a try myself, looking myself up and was amazed. There are sites that aggregate a lot of personal information. I found one that traced every residence and phone number for places I lived going back to childhood, Mong other personal info. Scary.

Reply to topic    

April

4/12/18 8:15 AM

It goes in cycles.

10 years ago, all those information were open and easily accessible. As you puts it "for free and with little effort". That, I believe, had changed, for the better. For one thing, such information has been monetized. Much of those information are no longer for free. While that's not exactly the solution people want to hear. But any business monetizing such information are then subject to regulation much easier than some random free posting.

But other information such as movement pattern and psychological profile didn't used to be considered "private and protected personal information". That, needs updating. Until then, those information WILL continued to be misused (or rightly used depends on who you're talking to).

Jesus Saves

4/12/18 12:17 PM

No, it is still an issue. More proliferate no less

For example...https://www.spokeo.com

Prison cell phone use...just google it. It is front and center news and actionable concern now.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

4/13/18 7:54 AM

What is Spokeo?
Spokeo is a people search engine that organizes white pages listings, public records and social network information into simple profiles to help you safely find and learn about people.

From the website

Sparky

4/13/18 11:37 AM

I googled both Elaine and myself occasionally. One time I did, I discovered my bike club had the DB with member name/addy/phone etc mistakenly in an unprotected sub folder on their hosting server.

At least it was a data source I could impact to get change in real time and quickly. Most of the shit you will find on yourself is not so easily impacted.

KerryIrons

4/15/18 9:52 AM

Searching

Back when I used to work for a living I represented my company in a couple of industrial consortia and so my email address got posted on various web sites resulting in spam. I undertook a concerted effort to contact these web sites (legitimate sites all) and they converted my email address into something the spam bots couldn't harvest. in the last few years my spam load dropped to 2-3 a day, and some of them weren't really classic spam.

Then my high school reunion committee put my email address in a letter to the local paper soliciting classmates. I had specifically told them to doctor my email address but of course they didn't. Now my spam load is 6 per day, just from that one web site. And now I get a lot more Russian girlfriend offers, credit card approvals, etc. It's an unfortunately efficient industry.

Reply to topic    

April

4/15/18 10:41 AM

It’s an efficient industry, which the public still refuse to take seriously (example of your local newspaper)

I personally think the grilling of FB is a symptom of that ignorant public, still hoping they don’t need to do anything but wanting the providers to “take care of it”.

Last edited by April on 4/15/18 12:36 PM; edited 1 time in total

Sparky

4/15/18 12:02 PM

"And now I get a lot more Russian girlfriend offers"

Make lemonade?

What would DT do?

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -