HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Fire at Shimano Japan

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dfcas

3/28/18 8:07 AM

Fire at Shimano Japan

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/hundreds-of-employees-evacuated-as-fire-rips-through-shimano-factory-and-headquarters-in-japan-374394

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

3/28/18 12:10 PM

That sucks

At least it wasn't a major manufacturing facility.

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

3/28/18 12:54 PM

I don't intend to sound like a wise ass, but how is it not a "major manufacturing facility"? What constitutes major for bicycle (& fishing) components versus manufacturing say cars, ships or planes? 20 Fire trucks is a lot, plus the fire includes its corporate headquarters.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

3/28/18 12:58 PM

That's what the article said

Apparently the bulk of their manufacturing is now in other countries. It sounds like it's analogous to Trek's Waterloo, WI plant, albeit on a larger scale.

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

3/28/18 2:03 PM

When I googled it, to your pojnt, 1st hit is this:

http://www.shimano.com/en/company/locations.html

Makes sense as labor costs (cost of living) in Japan, like the USA, is high, relatively.

Incidentally, Japan is known for making high quality products - no surprise here. However, this is particularly so for its products manufactured and assembled in Japan.

For instance, the button broke on my wife's Sony alarm clock radio after a year or two of light use. It was manufactured in Mexico. My Made-In-Japan Sony alarm clock radio (different model) is over 25 years old, and is still my daily alarm clock.

Another was a somewhat recent discussion here about car quality - how Toyota and Honda are king & better quality over other makes, including Nissan. In the past I frequently purchased Hondas for that reason, but purchased a particular Nissan model, taking comfort in knowing the only plant this (low sales volume) model is manufactured in is in Oppama, Japan. I can cite other personal experiences with product examples, including ones when I lived in Japan.

Reply to topic    

equinoxranch

4/8/18 10:23 AM

Such sad news. All that fishing tackle up in smoke.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -