HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Sim-works Dirty Rhonda stem

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

3/23/18 9:05 PM

Sim-works Dirty Rhonda stem

This is a kinda cool functional piece, IMO.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

3/25/18 7:42 AM

It has an industrial quality to it

However, I don't know why anyone would choose to build a bike with cantilever brakes with all of the better choices on the market.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/25/18 10:08 AM

Funny you should say that. The Saga I just cobbled got canti along with a lot of drawer parts. They stop an modulate better than i recall when tbey got removed in favor of mini-vee in the Salsa chilli con kermit. Maybe due to the stout steel frame/fork?

Sparky

3/25/18 1:06 PM

Rodeo Labs

Check out what these folks are up to. I am liking their take.

http://www.rodeo-labs.com/

Brian Nystrom

3/25/18 1:49 PM

While I love the look of classic lugged steel frames...

...I just can't get excited about steel for a new bike. To me, it's just a rather uninteresting anachronism, although I can appreciate the artistry, craftsmanship and innovation of some builders who are using it.

If I wanted a cost-effective frame, I'd rather have aluminum (lighter, likely less expensive and the latest crop ride beautifully). If I wanted higher-end metal, Ti is a better way to go IMO (lighter, more durable, better vibration damping). For the best combination of light weight, stiffness, compliance/comfort and overall performance, I'll take carbon.

However, it's great that we have choices and can select whatever makes us happy. Vive la difference!

Reply to topic    

dfcas

3/25/18 4:35 PM

My experience with stem mounted stops is that they lead to fork chatter. I prefer a fork with the crown drilled and to mount a canti stop there. I've never had fork chatter with a crown mounted stop.

I have Paul cantis and I prefer them to disc brakes or mini Vs. I have 3 sets of wheels with different tires mounted, and it's easy to alternate between then. With discs I would need the same hubs and rotors to insure I would not need to tweak something at each change. I do have the same rims on all 3 wheel sets so no tweaks needed. I just like the simplicity of canti.

Can that stem be flipped upward?

Sparky

3/25/18 4:43 PM

"Can that stem be flipped upward?"

I am going to guess yes and no. No if the cable is getting routed through top due to the angle needing to be parallel to the steerer. Yes with the dangle/hanger under cable stop setup.

Anthony Smith

3/27/18 7:02 AM

Nothing new

I've set up canti's by drilling the stem for a stop on the front and drilling the seatpost for a stop on the rear since the 1970s

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

3/28/18 4:47 PM

Old days

Yup. I first saw this in the spring of 1972 on a Fuji Finest. I don't think it was a factory job; the rider did it himself.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -