HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Hip Pain. And a question.

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

3/27/18 6:12 PM

Hip Pain. And a question.

I started having some pretty bad right hip pain recently. I am like, oh no, WTF now. Wonder if it was in my head at first due to Elaine's hip etc.

It occurred to me today, it coincides with my using my Kids [my old] Del Sol daily for a while. I was about to go to the doctor after much ibuprofen for 4-5 days straight. I also use two feet with the auto, so the right for the brake and throttle may also be contributory?

Probably getting out of it being so low. But my question is who else is still driving a manual shift, and is this contributing. Or is it just getting my old ars out of it and the high seat bottom bolsters. I ask as my mini van is about to be on the road, and it is a clutch. I sure hope it is not all the shifting/clutching.

BTW, cycling no issue.

Last edited by Sparky on 3/27/18 6:18 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dfcas

3/27/18 6:17 PM

I drive a manual with lots of city driving, age 65, no hip issues.

daddy-o

3/27/18 7:09 PM

I can see it, hip pain. I get it in my solar plexus and swore off the clutch fifteen years ago. I like manual shift but I like walking more. It's just that leverage for me, a non starter. I've driven a box truck a couple of times since then, no problem, like standing over the clutch.

walter

3/27/18 8:08 PM

i have hip problems on one side

due to how i move/bend my leg under the steering column while getting out of the car i bought in 2010. i figured that out and changed my egress movement, but my hip is still not right. i have to stretch it all the time in all sorts of directions just to maintain status quo.

Matthew Currie

3/27/18 8:32 PM

I don't know about the manual shift part, but I found at one point that my car seats were giving me sciatica which was showing up as hip pain. At that point my car was a Colt Vista (Mitsubishi) and my wife had similar issues with a Honda Civic. Different seats made all the difference, but it wasn't the shifting. I got along well with stick shift Jeeps for a long time, despite their hefty clutch action.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

3/28/18 3:21 AM

I'm probably missing something

Why would driving a stick affect the right hip? I use the right leg the same stick or auto.

I had a left hip replacement because of osteoarthritis. I had always driven a stick but never associated that with hip problems - it is a pretty mild action IMHO. My right hip is fine.

I will say that with my busted leg and creaky knees I don't find getting in and out of a low seat as easy as I used to. Hmmm, I think Alfa Stelvios have higher seats....

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

3/28/18 4:50 PM

Wallet?

A little bit out in left field but I have heard of people (men) getting hip pain because their fat wallet causes them to "sit funny." Little things can add up.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/28/18 5:02 PM

I quit the wallet in the rear pocket 20 years ago.

dan emery

3/28/18 5:14 PM

Costanza wallet

I got rid of my Constanza wallet a couple years ago:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yoPf98i8A0g

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

3/28/18 5:51 PM

The wallet thing is real. If you know the route of the sciatic nerve it's clear how the pressure and asymmetry of a wallet can affect those of us prone to the problem. BTW, I brain farted "solar plexus" earlier, it's the sacroiliac I meant. The large complex s.i. joint, sciatic nerve that travels through it and a wallet can really conspire against some people.

Sparky

3/28/18 6:13 PM

Fuckin funny when he holds up the wallet next to the sandwich. LOL.

Speaking of sammiches, there is actually a Jersey Mikes here a few miles from the house. Had some yesditty.

We used to go to the original pre-franchise locations 100 years ago, Point Pleasant in Joisey.

13ollocks

3/30/18 9:13 AM

My left hip and knee are starting to twinge a bit, but I think that's just the arbitrary nature of arthritis. I gave up running 25 years ago because my knee was starting to grumble, and switched to rowing as a no-impact cycling alternative, so I think my knee is just coming back with advancing age. Have driven stick for 35 years, and my current drive has a clutch like a tractor, but I don't think that's a factor, since heavy traffic and constant sketching doesn't do anything untoward. And my wallet is habitually empty, so that's not a factor :-(

Reply to topic    

dddd

4/1/18 9:45 AM

I got the most preventive relief from similar aches by spending less time sitting in front of a computer, this following a bout of polymyalgia.
Spending long hours driving would seem to be just as bad?
I rebuilt the driver's seat in my old Honda many years ago, added a thin aluminum plate to the seatback between foam and springs. Totally solved a pinched nerve issue in my lower back. This when I was commuting between NY and CT several days per week.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -