2/17/18 5:53 PM

Olympics ?

Any one impressed so far.

This is cool:

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

2/17/18 6:27 PM

Some good stuff

I'm not very interested in much of it, but the women's xc relay was fantastic. On the final 5k leg (a sprint in xc) a 37 year old Norwegian, one of the greatest skiers ever, and a 24 year old Swede were together at the front. The Swede was considered the better sprinter, and just sat on the Norwegian the whole leg. The Norwegian played no cat and mouse, just went flat out from the front. The commentators expected the Swede to win the final sprint, but the Norwegian pulled away at the end. She took the legs out of the younger sprinter. Awesome.

I'll also be interested in the women's hockey final, presumably US v. Canada. I suppose I should root for the US, but 5 (count 'em 5) of the Canadians went to Cornell. As a grad of the Law School, I find that quite cool. Also from Cornell is the defending bronze medalist women's bobsledder, currently ranked 3d as well. Go Big Red!

I also like the speedskating.

Reply to topic    

April

2/17/18 9:44 PM

I like to watch the spectacle of twisting and tumbling. So it's figure skating and slope style.

I also love watching x-c skiing. Something graceful about the skiers. I really couldn't care less about who wins. It's the action of skate-skiing that I enjoy watching.

Ice skating? Not so much.

cyclotourist

2/17/18 10:07 PM

awesome

That was an amazing finish in the women's relay! I was cheering out loud for the Norwegian woman during the sprint. Of course, short track speed skating is my favorite--nice surprise silver for John Henry Kreuger. Min Jeong Choi's 1500m win was incredibly dominant.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/17/18 10:23 PM

"figure skating and slope style" here as well. And especially like multi skater Speed Skating events. And especially! the Mass start events.

Board 1/2 pipe was enjoyable until I had to endure seeing Sean White dragging and stepping on our flag. Fookin Doofus!

Tom Price

2/17/18 11:16 PM

My favorite moment was the women's Super G skiing. After about 15 skiiers the leaders thought it was all over and were celebrating their placings when the 26th skiier, a snowboarder who dabbles in skiing, flew down the course and took the gold by 1 hundredth of second.

Marc N.

2/18/18 1:52 AM

While her better event is snowboarding, she more than dabbles in skiing, but never placed higher than 29th in a world cup race. Even crazier, she was skiing on borrowed skies! It has to rank as one of the all time surprises of Olympic history. When she finished, she stood there in shock, without really reacting, and was caught on camera saying, "how did that happen?"

Nick Payne

2/18/18 3:32 AM

Here in Oz the coverage (exclusive to one of the commercial channels) has been of the usual abysmal standard. I setup the PVR to record it all, and have been fast forwarding through it at 64x and just slowing it to watch what I find interesting - long and short track speed skating, downhill and XC skiing, biathlon. With the crap coverage we get that means I've probably watched less than an hour from 50 or 60 hours of recordings.

Reply to topic    

lrzipris

2/18/18 8:43 AM

A friend's son came in 8th in the double luge. That was pretty cool, seeing him on TV, smiling and looking just like his mom. (Cycling content: I know her from a bike club.)

Reply to topic    

Pino

2/18/18 1:34 PM

I thought the "snowboarder" finished 7th once in a WC DH, but still a great moment!

Last edited by Pino on 2/18/18 1:35 PM; edited 1 time in total

Sparky

2/18/18 1:34 PM

"she stood there in shock, without really reacting, and was caught on camera saying, "how did that happen?"

The look on her face and body posture standing there was pure disbelief. Loved it!

"Borrowed Skis"

Shiffern's skis must have extra gold mojo. Watch how those fly off the shelves now. ;)

April

2/18/18 7:36 PM

President’s Day weekend, skiing all day means I was too tired to stay awake watching the Olympic!

The same was true the many past Olympics, summer game too (too busy biking). Never mind football or baseball etc. I’m having too much fun DOING things to spare the time to WATCH them on TV.

Marc N.

2/19/18 3:16 AM

This is what Anna Veith, the silver medalist had to say afterwards:
The first time I saw Ester skiing was in Chile and I thought, ‘Wow, who is this?'” she said. “I talked to her and realized she is a really good snowboarder and windsurfer. She is multi-talented. I followed her, and thought it was a matter of time before she’d end up further in the front.”

PLee

2/19/18 5:37 PM

Apparently, she was using Schiffrin's old skis, from last year, given to her by Mikaela after she received her new skis this year.

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

2/19/18 8:57 PM

Someone explain to me the Russian curling team member caught using PED’s.

Just generic vitamins used by all the Russians ?

Curling ?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/19/18 9:06 PM

I was trying to figure what possible PED to use for that particular sport to gain benefit?

Brian Nystrom

2/20/18 7:00 AM

Considering that...

...you could be an obese, chain-smoking alcoholic and still be competitive in curling, the idea of a curler using PEDs is laughable. I haven't heard any details, but my immediate suspicion was that they found a "recreational" drug in his system.

On a related note, perhaps the funniest commercial I've seen during the games was the Rocket Mortgage ad related to curling where Keenan Michael Keegan exclaims "My man is literally cheering for people cleaning.” Sounds about right.

As an Olympic event, curling is a pathetic joke that doesn't even rise to the level of a "sport". The only thing more pathetic is that someone might actually cheat at it. Somehow it seems appropriate that it's a Russian.

Reply to topic    

PLee

2/20/18 7:40 AM

And the Russian spin machine is suggesting sabotage. The drug is meldonium, the same thing that Sharapova got dinged for - but she had a record of using it for 10 years before it made it onto the banned list.

Reply to topic    

walter

2/20/18 8:51 AM

i've heard of "nervousness reduction" drugs being used in some sports where a steady hand is called-for. static target shooting for instance.

daddy-o

2/20/18 11:06 AM

Curling: Maybe Dock Ellis could've found a winter sport in retirement. I guess 'winter conditions' separate, say, ten pins, from being a winter sport. Bocce anyone?

Beta blockers were used by bi-athlon participants for a while. Thanks for opening the door Walter. Must really take a dedicated scientific cost-benefit analysis for that sport & drug combination. Gee whiz, too bad they can't publish.

Brian Nystrom

2/20/18 11:47 AM

After looking it up, it appears that it would be more likely to decrease performance for a curler:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/winter-olympics/winter-olympics-2018-pyeongchang-meldonium-curling-alexander-krushelnitzky-what-is-it-a8218151.html

That just makes it even dumber.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/20/18 2:10 PM

Maybe to enhance endurance as far as practicing longer. The guy with 15% more time lobbing stones?

Brian Nystrom

2/20/18 2:27 PM

I dunno...

I just can't get past the thought that this game was probably created by a bunch of bored drunks sliding frozen "cow pies" across a pond. I simply can't bring myself to take it seriously. The whole thing seems like a "Bob and Doug McKenzie" sketch.

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

2/20/18 6:33 PM

There are some funny video versions.....

https://youtu.be/evNi4_2qHPY

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/20/18 9:25 PM

And a better shot:

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -