Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

1/9/18 12:32 PM

Are these Zipp bars counterfeit/fakes?

Looking at a parts lot which includes these:

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

greglepore

1/9/18 1:08 PM

I believe so. Don't think that zipp has ever made an integrated bar/stem.

Not necessarily evil though.1 Most of these are plenty strong, but heavy. Search for bikein - they have a credible 175g combo

Sparky

1/9/18 1:33 PM

I was leaning strongly toward fake. I think the Zipp integrated is only Tri/TT.

PLee

1/9/18 2:43 PM

Looks like it came out of the same mold as the Time bars. I wouldn't be surprised if Zipp ordered some up with their decals.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/9/18 4:34 PM

"as the Time bars."

My observation as well.

Brian Nystrom

1/10/18 12:55 PM

A quick Google search...

...revealed pics of similar bars under several other brand names (FSA, Bianchi, Colnago, to name 3), but there are also Chinese knock-offs (assuming that they not the same bar from the same factory as the "genuine" products).

Where is this "parts lot" coming from? Is there any feedback on the seller? Have you spoken with him?

Reply to topic    

greglepore

1/11/18 6:16 AM

The "time" bars are fake as well. FSA makes a real bar in this shape. Colnago and Bianchi do not. Cinelli started this shape with t he Ram. Aliexpress and dh gate will allow you to buy bars with any popular logo on pretty much any fake shape-Enve, zipp time etc are very popular.

Some of these parts are very good if not real. Time expreso pedals are sold by Costelo. 80 bucks for the 160g pedal that Time got 300 bucks for. I have several pairs of both the real ones and the fakes and they are the indistinguishable. The Specialized Power saddle? It royally pissed me off that the sworks was 300 bucks-not anymore, the same saddle (well, its carbon and functionally identical) is now available on ali or dh, unfortunately with an easton ec70" logo which comes off with acetone.Its $45 shipped .
The Bontrager xxx integrated bars that were 500 bucks and 175g? They abandoned the project, and they are available now for $75. They are pretty legit, I have over 4k miles on a set, as do several others, with no issues.
Say what you might about the "theft" of IP-hell, none of this stuff is subject to patent-but the ridiculous margins have led me to buy it. The ninnies scream "you're going to die" but I don't think so-most of these parts are parts.
The bars in question? Heavy, at around 360 grams. Rode a set with no logos for two seasons, they're pretty nice, but I ended up wondering why ride a non adjustable bar with no weight savings? A kalloy stem is only 100g -google zero uno- and with a nice set of bars you're much lighter.

Sparky

1/11/18 12:22 PM

"Where is this "parts lot" coming from?"

Local Craigslist, bar are 40s, 42 would be the smallest I'd personally mount for my own use.

stan

1/16/18 10:34 PM

It’s fake. The only company making integrated bars that look like that is FSA. There are a couple that look close but the finish s more flat. Even though they might be Kay, bars are one thing I wouldn’t want to take a chance on buying.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -