HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Quick FYI Windows Update

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
daddy-o

12/23/17 8:57 AM

Quick FYI Windows Update

Windows is having a big update this week. Just be aware, They seem to be aware it's a pain so we may be lucky about scheduling "options" finally working in our favor.

It even involved a small 5MB download that you can run when you like (apparently.)

YMMV

But if you're in a hurry, avoid it.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

April

12/23/17 9:27 AM

Thanks for the heads up.

Would be nice if M$S could give a bit more info on each update (size, complexity) as you just did.

They have the info on how long all previous updates take. It should be super easy to write a little script to estimate how long the update may take in a ball park (hours vs. minutes).

But hey, that wouldn’t be M$S.

Sparky

12/23/17 9:44 AM

Doesn't diddling the "Active Hours" in the update settings pretty much adjust for this?

"Set active hours to let us know when you typically use this device. We won’t automatically restart it during active hours, and we won’t restart without checking if you’re using it."

daddy-o

12/23/17 4:25 PM

"Fall Creator's Update"

Yesterday was the Winter Solstice...

When I logged on after getting home it gave me some Lots of grrreat things are happening! message -- and my laptop was out of commission for at least 10 minutes while lots of great things were happening.

FWIW CMD is no longer an option in the context menu of Windows File Explorer. (Shift+Right click in a directory) In its place you'll find Power Shell.

Nick Payne

12/23/17 7:15 PM

quote:
FWIW CMD is no longer an option in the context menu of Windows File Explorer. (Shift+Right click in a directory) In its place you'll find Power Shell.

One of the first things I do with any Windows installation is add "Command Prompt Here" to the right-click menu. Save the below as a plain text .reg file and merge it to the registry:
code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\Command Prompt]
@="Command Prompt Here"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\Command Prompt\command]
@="Cmd.exe /k pushd %L"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Drive\shell\Command Prompt]
@="Open Command &Prompt Here"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Drive\shell\Command Prompt\command]
@="Cmd.exe /k pushd %L"

I also add "Copy to folder..." and "Move to folder..." to the right-click menu:
code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Copy To]
@="{C2FBB630-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Move To]
@="{C2FBB631-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

Reply to topic    

April

12/23/17 10:50 PM

Absolutely useless!

The notice came on the screen mid-afternoon. So I pressed the "Later" option.

Now, when I'm ready to get it started, it said "Your system is up-to-date". Only the last update was Dec 4! Definitely the latest update was not installed. So what the hell!!!

daddy-o

12/24/17 4:26 AM

This Microsoft web page appeared at the start of the process

An Edge browser woke up yesterday with the pronouncement.

Your version of Windows 10 is out of date

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/comprehensive-security?OCID=Security_inp_omc_win_spo_RS1

Yeah, it has Defender prominently featured, but clicking [Update Now] started the Fall Creator installation process. So this might be the answer to scheduling. (IIRC) When I clicked it the 5MB executable download dialog appeared, maybe after a step or two. And as expected, when it was done downloading a [Run Now?] dialog was offered. YMMV

As little as I use the Edge browser, I tend to lean on it for browsing the Microsoft site.

A USB network dongle needed to have its drivers reinstalled. This might help if you need a driver: http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx

April: They didn't finish labeling the button, [Later, at an arbitrary time when it's convenient for us.]

At one level 'having this conversation' is so trivial. We do this all the time. But that's part of what is so confounding about it: we do it all the time, but not with the random element, after appearing agreeable and ultimately it snatches the PC from us for an hour. We use our PCs like appliances. If the microwave (or maybe the whole kitchen) was off limits because some bonded crew appeared and started 'fixing the sink,' we would have a similar reaction.

Steve B.

12/24/17 9:53 AM

Well they're not pushing it my way, I just did a "check for update" and other then a virus definition, nothing. Last update was 12/17 and they say I'm current.

We'll see.

Reply to topic    

April

12/24/17 1:02 PM

Steve, I think the update status is “wrong”.

I've had in the past such “status”, only to have the computer locked up in a couple days doing some massive “update task”! That’s why I felt the status was useless (and the whole “update process” a total joke)

We’ll see.

Steve B.

12/24/17 2:33 PM

"Steve, I think the update status is “wrong”. "

Well that could be, but when I go to Control Panel - Updates - Check for Updates and it tells me the computer (yes - Win 10), is up to date, there's not a lot to do except wait till MS decides that "this" computer is on the schedule for an update and pushes it.

It's not unusual for companies to stagger the updates to users. Apple does this with iOs updates, my 6S gets notified before my tablet, which is before my wifes 6, etc....

Reply to topic    

sanrensho

12/25/17 7:16 PM

I had to rollback from the Fall Creators Update after it broke the driver for my IGP. Would not display the native resolutions for my monitor.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

12/26/17 6:31 AM

It won't even install on my laptop

I've tried it at least a half dozen times and three different ways and it always fails to install. I'm out of patience trying to troubleshoot this crap, so I've given up on it.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/26/17 2:09 PM

A few lap tops ago, W7 I think got to a major update and would continually try and fail to process. That is my Computrainer PC not on the inet and updates turned off.

Then there was the one after that that came with 8 that updated to 8.1 perfectly. Then said for 6 months the Up to 10 would happen soon. I turned it off finally. The next LapTop, i3 and W10 and all the work I had to do to stop telemetry and spying... It made no sense to do all that on that backup PC after it may or may not have updated to W10.

The latest i7 Laptop after the i3 decided to stop charging [3 yrs].. But turned out it was the charger, the i7 is same HP but with more processor. But of course the battery is not interchangeable. Yada

But this new W10 is a new kind of PITA to work around all the cloud/telemetry crap.
When I got a pop up that my cloud picture app had made ready all my pic and vids on the cloud. I got pissed and then busy to undo and turn that crap off.

I don't trust it upon an update not to put it all back on. I even firewalled 1/2 of the M$ apps. But being it is a M$ fire wall it would not surprise me if it un-duz that on an update as well.

Did I say I hate that Cortana crap?

Brian Nystrom

12/27/17 6:33 AM

Try Spybot Anti-Beacon

It's free and simple to set up. It seems to do the job, completely in the background.

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

12/28/17 8:21 AM

And my work HP laptop just decided on boot, to install the latest and greatest. 1/2 later it’s at 4%. Well, I am being paid to watch....l

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/28/17 11:40 AM

"Well, I am being paid to watch...."

I say that all the time when fixing PC crap"
"I liked this better @ 90.00 hr."

I usually don't mind as much with a good processor jump, like this new i7 after an i3 for example. At least there seems like a prize.

April

12/28/17 2:04 PM

Ipad and Mac's going forward?

I just had it.

My work laptop locked up "updating" for nearly 2 hours. Unfortunately, I have no say in that being a Windows machine. Fortunately, I'm being paid while the laptop does what the slave driver from Redmount order it to do, slowly...

My Mom's machine is also busy "updating"! That, I don't get paid for watching.

She already does the majority of her things on the iPad. She actually uses the keyboard for typing more than anything else about the PC's real functionality. I wonder how much she may NOT miss the PC.

Sparky

12/28/17 2:30 PM

An irony being you need the fastest processor just to 'process' the M$ updates...

Steve B.

12/28/17 4:14 PM

Then and in the middle (53%) of today's update on the work machine (so, hour 3), the battery craps. Seems when I plugged in the charger cable this morning, I missed. Thus and with zero warning while updating, the unit craps.

Then I get to do a built in restore, seems to work, boot is sluggish, and it's now at home spending a few more hours doing some update. Hope this works.

The home machine paid attention to the schedule and did a painless update at 2AM. I think. It says Windows version 1709. A quick Google says that's the 12/12/17 release, so seems correct.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/28/17 9:38 PM

Mine updated. I think it lost count of the restarts, and the wireless service and my ability to get on the internet was null. I restarted first before digging and it was OK. Weird...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -