HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Amtrack WA [Tax bill comment added]

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

12/18/17 12:46 PM

Amtrack WA [Tax bill comment added]

Fuck, my kid was originally supposed to be on the route but decided to drive. And it was going to be today for travel. The usual route through the gorge was not bookable due to the wildfire that closed I84 for over a week.

Glad I invited his room mate for xmas. My kids car not up to the trip, his room mates car is a lot younger.

Wonder how long I5 is going to be closed now?

Last edited by Sparky on 12/20/17 2:16 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

12/20/17 2:06 PM

I'll ask this here. For no particular reason.

Is DT correct with his elation of the tax bill passage when he brags repealing the mandate is "essentially repealing Obama Care" to quote him?

I guess they will have to dismantle it in increments.
Is there also medicaid cuts in the tax bill that accomplish further dismantling/repealing et al?

More than one way to skin a cat...

dfcas

12/20/17 2:42 PM

I take great pleasure in turning the TV off whenever they are showing him speaking.

I just saw a news blurb that said he FALSELY claimed they effectively repealed ACA.

daddy-o

12/20/17 3:11 PM

It's a great example of a 'dog whistle.' Trump's voice saying "the end of Obamacare" makes the ears of the faithful/cult/base/pack perk up reflexively.

It's funny, now that I think of it, the insults like 'snowflake' and 'trigger' spawned to demean 'liberals' were quickly spun around and used by those liberals to describe the behavior of Trumps base. But "dog whistle" has so far kept the above context.

You know it just kind of rolls off the tongue: "faithful cult base pack."

daddy-o

12/20/17 3:14 PM

Time to golf

I heard a new catchphrase insult to predict Trump's reaction to something.

"Time to Golf"

Sparky

12/20/17 4:28 PM

Dan,

yeah, this makes sense. i heard the early version that he actually said 'effectively', a word he must gave learned recently. ;) Which I heard before I hitting the fast forward to stop hearing him. news buffered in my DVR. I can't listen to him myself.

So you can see how by his third 'atomic' tweet loosing the mandate becomes ACA being repealed completely.

But loosing the mandate 'is' dismantling, my point and question as to validity. As long as his base thinks it means it, his work for the day is done. He can then claim news saying it isn't repealed is fake news of course. And they'll follow...

PLee

12/21/17 6:30 AM

Of course, the original goal of the Republicans was to repeal and replace. I guess they forgot about the replace.

Reply to topic    

April

12/21/17 7:18 AM

They didn’t forget.

It’s easy to destroy but hard to build

dan emery

12/21/17 9:41 AM

Replace

The Republicans only made noise about replacing because public opinion now wants a form of national health insurance.

Republicans have opposed all social insurance since prior to the New Deal.

Whatever they do, long term I think there will be national health insurance in one form or another because the public will demand it. I think that will be a historic legacy of Obamacare.

Reply to topic    

Craig

12/21/17 10:42 AM

quote:
Republicans have opposed all social insurance since prior to the New Deal.

Kind of not completely true, sort of.

Back when Romney was governor of Massachusetts, he was presented data on health care by Amy Lischko (Division of Health Care Finance and Policy) and he was convinced that mandated health care, the essence of Obamacare and the basis of social insurance, was the way to go. Romney implemented the strategy with success. It was the Republicans that proved the theory, and they only railed against it when it was no longer their idea.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2011/06/06/romneys-dilemma

"According to Murphy, Lischko, and Gruber, Romney believed that the logic in favor of a mandate was impeccable. Federal law requires emergency rooms to treat patients regardless of their ability to pay. “This is not Calcutta,” Murphy said. “We don’t let people go and die in the street. And then the question is, Who bears that cost? Those costs get paid by increased premiums for the people who do buy insurance, or they get paid for through socialized costs and claim our tax revenues and come at the expense of other things that people might want to do, like building roads and bridges. And in the Republican Party that I grew up in—go back to the welfare debate, it’s about personal responsibility—that seems pretty reasonable.”
Republicans had been discussing the idea for years. In 1990, the Heritage Foundation made the individual mandate a linchpin of its health-care plan, arguing that it should be part of “a two-way commitment between government and citizen.” The government would help individuals buy insurance, and, “in return, government would require, by law, every head of household to acquire at least a basic health plan for his or her family.” The head of the family would make the decisions."

Reply to topic    

dan emery

12/21/17 10:59 AM

Kind of

I didn't mean every single Republican, and I didn't mean state governments. Nonetheless, probably I should not say "all," instead "nearly all."

Even nationally there have been exceptions, for example the Supplemental Security Income program ("SSI") began under Nixon. But in general Republicans oppose progressive social insurance. There are maybe 3 or 4 in the Senate now that actually favor national health insurance.

Reply to topic    

Craig

12/21/17 11:28 AM

And that's why I put a "kind of" disclaimer, because it's never been proposed (that I know of) at a national level.

Another tidbit I learned recently was that Obama opposed the mandated health care approach while H. Clinton supported it in the 2008 primaries for Democratic leader. It wasn't until after Obama was selected that he was convinced, in no small part by the Romney example, that it was the way to go. So the Republicans can be thanked for Obamacare, in a way, sort of.

Reply to topic    

April

12/21/17 12:06 PM

I thought Obama only supported universal health care to get the Clinton supporters to vote for him.

Like what a lot of people say about Hillary, I’m never sure what Obama really believe in either.

Sparky

12/21/17 12:21 PM

Reading these last two messages it sure reads like OB/team may have cherry picked a prospectively popular agenda in this area.

Was this the case?

Craig

12/21/17 12:26 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/podcasts/the-daily?campaignId=67HX6&gclid=CjwKCAiA1O3RBRBHEiwAq5fD_OHHcYKIUtOjcVqdUukyWvx7x-k3S08K9U78gwzsbXZ-WUPb-cxFnBoCfVcQAvD_BwE&dclid=CND74IXdm9gCFZRnfgodQEQFbA

Listen to Wednesday December 20th Podcast. Very informative about this topic, if it's something that interests you.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

12/22/17 8:05 AM

The podcast mentions at ~19:45 that DJT has pledged to sign it before Christmas.

Of course if he waits until 1/1/18, "unpopular slashes" will not take effect until 2019, after the election.

But to the news organizations' credit if their recent behavior continues they will keep the voters aware of the impending cuts as election day approaches.

----

Thanks for the podcast link. It's nice that it is outside of the NYT pay-wall. They also have an MP3 download option site to compliment the streaming service.

Sparky

12/22/17 12:29 PM

FYI

quote:

Johnson Amendment repeal was blocked by the Senate parliamentarian. Because of a requirement called the Byrd Rule, reconciliation bills—which are passed through a simple Senate majority—cannot contain “extraneous” provisions that don’t primarily deal with fiscal policy

I guess the GOP couldn't unzip their fly on that one.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -