HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

OK, first Oregon Earthquake for us...

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

12/13/17 8:12 PM

OK, first Oregon Earthquake for us...

Lets hope last for a while.. For rest of my life.

I asked Elaine, did you feel that. That was an earthquake. I felt one in TN in 2006 and it felt exactly the same. And oddly the same handles on the same TV cab chimed in the same way. ;)

20 mile due south, Rs/3.9/ 11 miles deep orig.

Fantastic!

I will let you know if it was a precursor and Mt Hood erupts or anything...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dfcas

12/14/17 9:08 AM

I've never been thru an earthquake. Must be scary.

April

12/14/17 9:20 AM

I grew up experiencing small earthquake (grade 4'ish) every few years. Never thought much of it. "oh, an earthquake, stop doing whatever and wait till it stops shaking" kind of reaction.

When I was in my teens, there was a BIG earthquake in northern part of China, which devastated the region where it happened. My aunt, a doctor, went as part of the medical relief effort. What she saw was horrible, which she shared with me and my cousin. The next time earthquake struck, I ran out of the house like bat out of cave.

Last edited by April on 12/16/17 10:44 PM; edited 1 time in total

Sparky

12/14/17 11:03 AM

It was small enough as to be considered uneventful. I can't imagine what it is like when they are long and serious.

It was not the Pacific plate, but a less deep US plate and very not likely to be a precursor to a bigger one.

I have done FEMA work in flood ravaged areas. I imagine earthquake damage is a whole different kind of devastation. Water can do crazy damage once it gets stuck and then lets go I can tell you.

Last edited by Sparky on 12/14/17 11:34 AM; edited 1 time in total

PLee

12/14/17 11:19 AM

I've felt minor earthquakes that feel like a subway train had just gone by. Then I was in San Francisco for the 1989 7+ earthquake and that was a whole other kettle of fish - I'd be totally happy if I never experience anything like that again! And it was followed by 3 to 6 aftershocks per hour . . .

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

12/14/17 11:30 AM

I've never experienced an earthquake but colleagues of mine lived in the Bay Area during the 1989 quake. One of them was on the Bay Bridge when it hit and said that it was like all four tires on the car went flat. Then the radio went dead (power failure at the radio station). They didn't realize what had happened until they pulled to a stop and everybody else on the bridge had stopped too.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/14/17 11:42 AM

"I've felt minor earthquakes that feel like a subway train had just gone by."

That is how this felt really. We are near the end of a dead end, slight hill. If a heavy delivery vehicle goes to the Cul-de-Sac for turn around and barrels past on the slight downgrade it can be felt in the LR.

I looked out to rule it out as my sense was that it was an earthquake. Having modulated up/down exactly like the TN quake I experienced in 2006 I just thought EQ immediately. Plus I saw no vehicle go past up to the Cul-de-sac, always noticeable. I am like the 'get off my lawn' nosy body anymore I confess. Lawn guy and heavy trailer just went up and back as I typed, you can feel it in the LR.

PLee

12/14/17 12:56 PM

Kerry - sounds like your colleagues were on the upper deck that pancaked onto the lower. That is way too close for comfort . . .

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/14/17 1:12 PM

We ride though there on bike rides. Most of the Club Pioneer Century Event Route do also.

VID of 1993 Rs/5.6 in same spot/same fault they are reporting.

http://www.kgw.com/news/archive-video-1993-scotts-mills-earthquake/499323894

KerryIrons

12/16/17 10:43 AM

Pancakes

quote:
sounds like your colleagues were on the upper deck that pancaked onto the lower

No, they were on the other side of the island. Still WAY to close for anything vaguely resembling comfort.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

12/16/17 6:23 PM

I've been through a couple of small quakes

The first one woke me up very early one morning. I thought it was a snow plow going by, then I remembered that it was July.

The second one was at a trade show in Anaheim. I was doing a demo for some customers of mine from Minnesota when the building started to shake.

In both cases, it was really more interesting and even amusing than scary, but the larger of the two was only a 3.6 and it only lasted a few seconds.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -