View posts since last visit

light fixture
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
April

10/29/17 12:22 PM

light fixture

Bike light, that is.

Years ago, when I was mountain biking a lot, I bought a rather powerful helmet mounted headlight, the kind that blinds you if I point it at you. I've not done much mountain biking lately (actually didn't use it for the trail much). But I've used that light a lot for commuting in New York city after the clock change, which will come next weekend. The light is bright, and I can aim it at wherever I want to see.

Unfortunately, I can't find the helmet piece any more. That's the piece that stays with the helmet for the light to go into. Also unfortunately, it's a house brand light from Performance Bike which has been discontinued. So getting a replacement helmet piece is not an option. Bit of a shame to lose the use of a nice powerful light for want of a $10 piece if plastic.

Any suggestions?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

10/29/17 12:57 PM

Maybe if we could see some pictures of what you got we could collectively think tank a usable ad hok.

If you need a place to host and post the pics just ask. I can do that for the thread..

JohnC

10/29/17 1:30 PM

I'd find some styrofoam like the stuff used for packing electronic components and the like. Cut to appropriate shape. Attach to light and helmet with zipties, or with elastic and velcro.

That's how I'd improvise.

April

10/29/17 2:03 PM

Sparky, photo sent

Sparky

10/29/17 2:53 PM

April

10/29/17 3:16 PM

thanks, sparky, for hosting the photo.

So the light piece slide into the "base plate" on the helmet piece. And the little tongue "click" into the front edge of the plate.

The "base plate" is basically that, a rectangular plate the light piece envelopes on all sides. Then a flexible plastic piece that curves to fit the top of helmet, with some velcro for attaching to the helmet.

Matthew Currie

10/29/17 3:33 PM

It may not help much, but I had and I think recently discarded an LED light of a similar sort, which I am pretty sure was a Performance one, and I still have the handlebar mount to which you're welcome if you want it.

Somewhere I think I also have or had one of the rechargeable units with a head similar to yours, but I can't remember where it went. I used it for a while during power failures. Will keep looking.

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

10/29/17 5:47 PM

I’ll look as well,

I used a Performance incandescent headlamp for a few years before I stopped mt. biking at night.

I’ll take a photo, how do you post a photo here ?

Reply to topic    

April

10/29/17 6:10 PM

I sent mine to sparky. ;)

Steve B.

10/29/17 6:22 PM

Well, my Performance headlamp is a one piece unit, the lamp bolts to a rubber strap that has slots to fasten to the helmet vents

Not something you are going to find useful, sorry.

Reply to topic    

Matthew Currie

10/29/17 9:12 PM

I'm having no luck trying to remember what became of my rechargeable light, which has been out of use for several years, but I'm almost 100 percent sure it was a handlebar mount anyway, and not entirely sure it was Performance. However, I'm pretty sure the little LED one was. I still have the handlebar mount for it, and here is a picture (or at least a link, not sure about the code here):

[img] http://jmp.sh/v/4sLOCb2ytMeu8XELhwxC [/img]

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/30/17 9:43 AM

Steve B pic

Craig

10/30/17 10:07 AM

It's hard to tell from the photos but I'm pretty sure you could undo your light from your bracket and screw it to this bracket:

http://bike31.com/product/moon-helmet-mount-rb-16/

By that I mean, you remove the base from your light and the quick mount base from the bracket I linked to, and screw your light to the base of the new bracket.

It might mean an extra trip to Home Depot to get the right length nut and bolt. And it would mean the light is (semi) permanently attached to your helmet but it would probably work.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/30/17 10:46 AM

Velco? I'd probably drill two holes in it and wire tie it to the helmet for the season..

Any hardware store and certainly Home Depot have plenty. Fastest down and dirty functional fix?

There are always an assortment of different length ones here.

Reusable type might be more appropriate in the case of mounting to your helmet. This is what I use when my Android is doing handlebar mounted PowerTap and/or DuoTrap duties.

April

10/30/17 11:51 AM

that thin plastic piece look very much like the bottom part of the piece I'm missing. But instead of a bolt connecting to the light itself, my piece had a rectangular block with a slot which the light slide in...

Sparky

10/30/17 11:54 AM

Yours, as said already looks to have a very similar [same?] mounting bolt pivot. Might be a match. ;)

April

10/30/17 12:02 PM

Nope, mine doesn't have a bolt. It has a quick release instead.

Sparky

10/30/17 12:12 PM

I see a nut & bolt that is attaching your light to the mount part.

April

10/30/17 1:05 PM

That bolt is for adjusting the tilt of the light.

Yes, I see the similarity. But there's a middle section that's missing which allows the light to be taken off the helmet with just one click-slide.

I suppose I can just zip tie my light to a dedicated helmet for commute use. It's just I'll have to ride with the light on my helmet even during the day time... which I really don't like as the light is kind of heavy.

daddy-o

10/30/17 7:51 PM

Two cents apiece

Two years worth if you use two a day $20.

PLee

10/31/17 6:19 AM

I've seen so much crap floating around in the middle of the ocean, and seen what it does to sea life, that I'm a big proponent of reducing the amount of waste we generate.

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

10/31/17 10:06 AM

Seafood

Caww-rect! Additionally, those micro plastic, toxic polymers will end up back inside our bodies with the fish we eat.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/31/17 10:31 AM

I wonder if the one I cut off and put in my recycling bin along with all the left over cable cuts etc., actually 'land' where???

This latest news re: China not taking our plastics after the end of the year probably means the land fills.

Fish, I am seeing more and more if this being reported. To the point I find am avoid shell fish, I probably have already eaten enough plastic to eject 3D printed parts out my ars.

April

10/31/17 12:10 PM

I'm not sure we're the biggest plastic waste offenders.

I grew up in coastal towns in south China and lived in Hong Kong for a while. The amount of plastic getting tossed into the river is mind boggling! Of course the rivers carried the plastic into the sea. And it's pretty easy to see piles of it on any random coast line...

That said, Hong Kong has passed a law mandating stores charge a small fee for customer who request plastic bags. Some city in China are following that path.

So yes, I'd prefer NOT to use disposable plastic whenever I can avoid.

Sparky

10/31/17 12:35 PM

I avoid foods packaged with for example #5 on the plastics. But then again as I said about China not taking the plastics soon, it may all windup in the landfill for while quite possibly.

I have had dreams where this planet is devoid of humans and all you see in the landscape is the legs of PVC patio furniture protruding from the surface...

Dismal, I know.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -