Marc N.

10/22/17 2:30 AM

Take a look at this

https://www.fumpapumps.com/
My son found this on a web site named "This is why I`m broke"

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dfcas

10/22/17 9:26 AM

Since I think its stupid, I'll predict that it is wildly successful in the marketplace.

What we need is regenerative braking to charge it on the bike.

Craig

10/22/17 5:04 PM

Like electric shifting, 11 speed drive trains, disc brakes on road bikes, 35.0 bar/stem combos, $15K bikes; it's a stupid idea. How do I buy stock in the company?

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

10/22/17 7:42 PM

Didn't you read the technical report? It actually pumps 78% a nitrogen mix. Link

PLee

10/23/17 8:18 AM

But I still have a box of CO2 cartridges . . .

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

10/23/17 11:38 AM

Are you expected to carry this thing or is it just for day-to-day inflation? If it's the former, no way in Hell! If it's the latter, I can get a craftsman cordless inflator with a digital gauge for ~$100 (they're popular at 'cross races) or add a Ryobi to my collection of their tools for $25, which is about what a usable hand pump will cost.

Still, it's a better deal than a $450 Silca hand pump and those apparently do sell!

Hmmm. I only think one of the ideas on Craig's list (at opposed to Craigslist) is stupid, the 35mm bars/stems (I don't consider $15K bikes an idea, it's just a reality in the market. I don't think anyone ever said "Hey, let's build a $15,000 bike"). Maybe I need one of these Fuc...oops...I mean Fumpa pumps after all.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/23/17 11:40 AM

"Are you expected to carry this thing or is it just for day-to-day inflation?"

One version for the shop, one version for the road.
The smaller will do two inflates.

Size: 1.3×2.2×2.7 in. (32x56x68mm)
Weight: 6.7 ounces (190 grams)
Inflates 2 tyres on a single charge

I am not interested in having to manage/carry yet another battery device in contingency.

Pat Clancy

10/23/17 12:25 PM

Huh?

"Contains a patented compressor design, which compresses surrounding air at remarkable speeds to fill your tyres."

Surrounding? As opposed to....?

Jesus Saves

10/23/17 1:09 PM

I lost the web page, but I recall the website indicating it serves double duty - also powering the bike's internal seat tube/bottom bracket motor. ;-)

(tongue planted firmly in cheek)

Reply to topic    

dan emery

10/23/17 1:34 PM

I like the mini

Not enough to buy it, and I don't know if it actually works as advertised, but if it does it could be preferable to a minipump (IME, some minipumps are better than others but they all suck). Co2 works fine but it's a bit wasteful with the spent cartridges so the only advantage over that is aesthetic/environmental.

I will admit that I actually have an expensive Silca floor pump and I like it though I am fully aware it is not necessary for anything (though I have had a number of other floor pumps that failed or were unsatisfactory for one reason or another).

Reply to topic    

April

10/23/17 2:11 PM

what I don't like about the Mini

I actually think an electric pump is overdue. So this one doesn't surprise me at all. And the price will come down if it finds its market share.

That said, one major complain against it is the 2 inflation per charge part. Kind of like the CO2-gang who only carries 2 cartridges. I lost count the number of times I had to help people out because their weight-weenie CO2 "system" ran out of gas. (pun intended)

Having said that, assuming you can charge it on the road with a power stick like you did with a phone. You have essentially a decent e-pump that pumps like a CO2 without the waste of cartridge. What's not to like? (ok, except the price).

P.S.

I wouldn't invest in it though. Too easily copied and undercut.

dan emery

10/23/17 3:51 PM

2 inflations

Well I guess that is a theoretical limitation but in riding since 1972 I can't remember ever needing a third repair on the road.

Reply to topic    

April

10/23/17 4:37 PM

As I said, I've seen enough double flats. Sometimes, it's as simple as not finding the offending object that cause the initial flat.

The thing is, theoretically, you've got two inflation. That should be enough even for a double flat. But if you're not exact in each inflation, you never know if you use more than just that amount of juice for each of your inflation. And whether you have enough juice to inflate fully of your second flat.

Granted, that's really only a concern for a solo ride far away from home. (in a group ride, someone else will have a working pump) But I happen to do that kind of ride. I'm old fashion enough to carry a patch kit, which basically gives me ability to handle unlimited flats (ok, 4-5 flats max, after that, there's probably something seriously wrong that I probably won't keep on patching).

Its born of a lesson learned the hard way, solo ride confronted with a double flat plus a slow leak, at area with very little traffic & no cell service. I did NOT have a patch kit. But my saving grace was I had a mini-pump. So I kept on adding air every few miles. Made it home after about 3 "air stops" - 10 mile worth of distance.

Jesus Saves

10/24/17 4:08 AM

...And one more thing to remember to keep charged.

Reply to topic    

April

10/24/17 9:04 AM

You only need to recharge it after you've used it.

That's no different than patching/replacing the punctured spare tube after the ride. Yes, I've been guilty of forgetting to replace the punctured spare. Though fortunately without any bad consequences.

Craig

10/24/17 9:05 AM

"Still, it's a better deal than a $450 Silca hand pump and those apparently do sell!

Hmmm. I only think one of the ideas on Craig's list (at opposed to Craigslist) is stupid, the 35mm bars/stems (I don't consider $15K bikes an idea, it's just a reality in the market. I don't think anyone ever said "Hey, let's build a $15,000 bike"). Maybe I need one of these Fuc...oops...I mean Fumpa pumps after all."

The Silca frame pump is *only* $165. I recently unsubscribed from the Silca newsletter, I so really wanted to like what they were doing but, Bondhus allen wrenches are about $20 and a set would last me about 5 years in a full time bike shop setting before I'd have to cut off 2mm of the 4 and 5mm wrenches to get fresh flats (yes, messes with the hardening and don't last as long but still worked for a while). I don't doubt for a second that Silca's HX-One Home Essentials kit is a "better" set of wrenches but I can buy 6 sets of Bondhus wrenches for the same price. And a $350 paint job on a pump? Making it a precious, delicate thing? And yet most are sold out.

It's all subjective. I would never begrudge a fool and his money, there are worse things a person could do than buying an electric pump. But I suspect there's better things a person could do than buying an electric pump.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/24/17 10:55 AM

I have one long frame blackburn, fav. I also have two Specialized 2/3 length that do 90 lb near as well as the blackburn does. I guess a benefit of wider rims, 29-30mm tires and 85 lb helps as well.

On my very last tubular ride with glass chuck hole, after pumping the new 22mm tire to 100 lb with 3 rests before getting there comparatively... That was when I made the decision to clean out the tubular stuff.

Since going tubeless on the MTB and running way lower pressures, the same smaller pumps used previously are with me, but not had to use yet.

Question really is, when will your jersey have a photo-elec cell rear back wired to batteries in the soles of your shoe for all your devices?

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -