Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

CR-V Un-Ouch
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

10/15/17 8:10 PM

CR-V Un-Ouch

Next Generation so far seem like a lot better car. Scaled up in size a bit compared to the 2015. Generation 4 2015 had P215/70R16 tires.
Generation 5 2017 has 235/65R17. This is bigger and improved ride quality and road noise, we so far are in the 'Like' column. For some reason it has nitrogen in the tires, not figured out why just yet.

Out with the not so old, and in with the new.
The metallic in the Obsidian Blue lights up in crazy fashion when bright sun hits it. Like that ever happens here. ;) No, this is not Seattle, 3 days now been beautiful and sunny. Rather be riding a bike than screwing with cars frankly.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

10/16/17 5:18 AM

Nitrogen in tires is just a scam

It's supposed to make your tires last longer, but unless you're the proverbial "little old lady that only drives to church on Sundays", the tread will wear out long before any internal oxidation that may occur will become a problem. It's just a way for dealers to soak you for something you don't need and keep you coming back any time you need to top off your tire pressure, giving them the opportunity to sell you something else you don't need.

Reply to topic    

LeeW

10/16/17 6:05 AM

nitrogen in tires?

I had not heard the longer-life angle.

I don't follow automotive tech that closely, but I was told by one of my auto-head buddies that they use nitrogen because it has a much slower leakage rate and doesn't change pressure as much with temp swings. I understood that some manufacturers that were using more finicky tire-pressure monitoring technology went to it to stabilize their system.

IDK. Don't have it in my vehicles.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/16/17 6:39 AM

"much slower leakage rate and doesn't change pressure as much with temp swings"

This is what I have gathered reading online as the most quantifiable reason. The TPS which registers and squawks with warning light is more accurate.

In the 2015 last year when we came down off Crater Lake I got a TPS light. I used my floor pump we had with us to check the tires, one went below 28 PSI from combination of altitude and temp change I assumed. Although I kind of thought it would fire going up in altitude and temp drop rather than the reverse.

But I was glad we had stuck the pump in the car, it has the flip head with schrader and presta.

Unlike the Equinox TPS that has a sensor in each wheel, the Honda uses the ABS to count tire revs.
So short of looking at the tire, you can't see via the TPS that one has 12 lbs etc. on the Honda. But no hassles with tire monkey damaging bluetooth valves either. #pick/poison.

Just glad it is behind, the carnumdrum. Elaine and I walked 4 miles from the Enterprise Rental RAV4 drop off to the Trimet Train on the way to OMSI/Oregon Museum of Science and Industry. She is like a new person. ;)

The new car was not ready until our return. They had to import it, she did not want another white or silver one. ;)

Sparky

10/16/17 7:06 AM

BTW, Top Safety Pick+ by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. The 2015 did not make it into the top 3 Plus distinction, but was 5 star rated.

After the accident, you tend to look at this first. ;)
But in all truth, that was what had us looking at the Equinox before we went Honda. Those also 5 Star IIHS rated. The CRV also have roll over sensors for the side curtains. Do not recall the Nox having that.

#CannoliCar

Brian Nystrom

10/16/17 12:10 PM

I hadn't heard the tire pressure angle...

...other than that N2 leaks down a bit slower. Car tires really shouldn't leak at all, so it seems like a moot point. Considering the fact that air is 78% N2 already, the leak-down angle seems pretty iffy.

The marketing hype I saw was mostly about oxidation and degradation of the tires over time with air and the moisture it contains. It seems like complete hooey to me, as I've never had tires rot out from the inside.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/16/17 1:21 PM

"I've never had tires rot out from the inside"

I used to burn through rear radials very month or so on my teen car, a 442 W-30 with the 3.90 posi-traction. They would start out used I should mention...

One time I got about 2 cups of little rubber balls when I pulled a pair that got down to steel.

Nitrogen may not have helped, but that is the only anecdotal inside deteriorating tire story I got. ;)

I can say I am with the masses here that this is superfluous. Unless it is a matter of cafe regs if all a brands cars get .6 MPG better on pure Nitrogen instead of the added 22% inert gasses...

Brian Nystrom

10/16/17 2:05 PM

I don't know if it's something new...

...but I've recently seen some news stories about companies selling tires that have been sitting on the shelf for 5-10 years and having the purchasers experience failures. I guess if they're stored under the wrong conditions (e.g., high heat, chemical fumes), deterioration could be a problem.

I've never bought old tires, so I wouldn't know, and I typically only get 3-4 seasons (separate summer & winter wheels/tires) out of a set, so they never get old enough to deteriorate.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

10/16/17 2:12 PM

Our roads are such crap that I consider a change to lower profile tires a downgrade. A tire shop told me that blown tires, bent wheels, and bent control arms are a daily occurence for them.

Brian Nystrom

10/16/17 3:13 PM

It's not too bad here...

...but I really don't like rolling around on 45-series rubber. When my current tires are due for replacement, I'm going to look into narrower wheels and 60-series tires. They'll be quieter, more comfortable and I won't have to worry about them as much.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/16/17 3:30 PM

I was happy to see the 235/65/R17s on there. The Quaalude vTec I am driving has 17s and 45 series tires, and less travel due to lowering. But someone is coming to look at it as I type.

So I will be re-vehicling soon as well. I got pretty tired pretty quick getting in and out of a lowered suspension Lude with 17s/45s I can tell you. And the huge side bolsters on both the back and bottom make it worse for an old fart like me...

EDIT: AND SOLD. Time to allocate....

13ollocks

10/17/17 11:40 AM

N2 is dry

The key point about nitrogen is that it's dry. The process of generating pure N2 also removes water vapor. Pretty much all gases obey the same basic physical rules re temperature, pressure and volume. However water vapor apparently expands (or increases in pressure in a constrained volume) with increasing temperature far more than a "dry" gas, so you get much great pressure fluctuation as a result of road speed, ambient temperature etc with regular air than you would with N2. If you extracted the moisture from regular air, it would be just as good.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/17/17 11:44 AM

And you get zoot looking green valve caps... ;)

Brian Nystrom

10/18/17 5:25 AM

Dry or not...

...I'm still not convinced that paying for N2 is any better than free air. Have you seen any data that quantifies the difference in thermal pressure change? I have a hard time believing that it's enough to make any significant difference and certainly not one that would compromise the life of the tire or safety.

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

10/18/17 5:44 AM

Some former cycling buddies who also built and raced motorcycles, told me they used nitrogen because it expands less than air under the heat generated in a race, thus handling is more predictable.

Certainly not typically a factor in a car. Thus it's all hype as far as I'm concerned.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

10/18/17 7:34 AM

I can see it for motor racing...

...where high tire temps are the norm and a minor change in pressure can affect the handling of a car/motorcycle tremendously. For street use, it's just a scam.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

10/18/17 8:21 AM

It seems to me that UV exposure is the biggest problem for passenger vehicle tires, and nitrogen would not help the exterior.

Brian Nystrom

10/18/17 3:10 PM

It's particularly a problem for vehicles...

...that see sporadic use. Apparently, the motion of rolling a tires helps to force compounds in the rubber that resist UV to the surface, essentially creating self-renewing protection. Tires that are not used a lot, such as on trailers, RVs, etc. are prone to UV damage unless the tires are kept covered.

Last edited by Brian Nystrom on 10/19/17 4:59 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/18/17 4:21 PM

"Tires that are used a lot"

You mean 'Not' I'd assume...

Brian Nystrom

10/19/17 5:00 AM

Yes, that's what I meant

Thanks for catching that; I've corrected it.

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

10/19/17 10:15 AM

Dry rot is a definitely problem, even with "new" tires coming off the lot. You can check the tire age on the sidewall, albeit coded somewhat cryptically.

I've had good experience purchasing tires from Tire Rack. They move a lot of inventory, so no issues with getting old tires, plus being able to choose the tires you want, not what the shop has in stock is a big plus, among other reasons to shop form them.

The Honda H-RV is the new/old C-RV, in terms of the latter being upgraded to a ever bigger size.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/19/17 10:44 AM

HR V, Got a test drive before we decided on another CR V.

Motor too small and lacked any juice at all. Then a visit the IISS ratings on the web clinched it as a no go for us. One Average and One Moderate VS the CRV 5 Star and Plus designation, etc.

Also drove the EX CR-V which has a 1.5L turbo. IMO the lack of pre turbo power and lag from a dead stop for a 3400lb car.. well sucked. And rolling, the CVT trans with the lag/turbo an odd combination and not very tractable feeling.

The CVT took me long enough to get used to with the 2.4 vtec motor in the 2015. Add in turbo, not for us. Elaine liked the CVT right off, not me. ;)

I found it funny the EX cluster was reporting 17 MPG for the last 50 miles window. It did not have 50 miles on it, but I imagine all test drivers did what I did... floor it and wait post lag for it to go.

And the improved ride quality and quieted interior I expected was not there. Felt the same as the LX, which is what we got.

EX with AWD get pricey to the point one might choose something more upscale IMO. 30k Plus.
So for me it woudl be the Acura for $37k before an EX-L for 32-3k.

[EDITed out some jibber/jabber] ;)

Considering getting the nose clear bra wrap for about 1/2 what they offered for also.

Any opinions on the clear vinyl for the bumper/hood/etc??

Brian Nystrom

10/19/17 2:54 PM

Driving a turbocharged car...

...just takes a little adaptation. When stopped, you learn to get on the throttle a second or so before you need to, so the turbo spools up by the time you're ready to "launch". It's probably easier with a manual transmission, since you can do it with the clutch depressed. Once you get used to it, you don't even think about it. It becomes automatic, just like adapting to the handling of a new bike.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/19/17 3:07 PM

Maybe, but I've had Turbos before, although been quite a while. I was hoping time and tech would have negated throttle response lag to a large degree. I found it did not in this particular vehicle. And the CVT RPM regulated ratio changes in conjunction with the lag then boost came off poorly tractable as I said.

Side note:
Not the first Honda I can say I have driven I can say that about. We test drove a late 90s CRV manual when we wound up with the Odyssey.
My wife who drive stick well drove it first and had trouble. [Her car after Odyssey was Beetle manual BTW].

I got behind the wheel and it was terribly cantankerous. She wanted no part of that CRV and I could not blame her. CRV have come a long way.

Jesus Saves

10/19/17 6:37 PM

Cvt + turbo = odd, or very interesting combo.

Written by someone who's main ride is a cvt I do not comprehend. A cvt is one best driven where the acceleration is constant, smooth as in no small jumps like when shifting gears.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -