HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

'CresCent' Vintage Bike frame
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dddd

10/15/17 10:31 AM

Yeah, it sounds like this Crescent used the Swiss threading, which even Peugeot adopted around 1980 before finally changing to BSA (English).

You're right about 700c being the standard for racing tubulars and with 27" being the standard for touring clinchers, but there were 700c touring clinchers used in France since at least the 50's and probably earlier. A bigger company would differentiate their products though depending on what market that each batch of bikes was to be sold in.
27" wheel production road bikes made it into at least the early 90's, though only on very low-end "ten-speed" road bikes and almost always with Shraeder valves as were appropriate to their wider rims.
Narrow (20mm) 700c clinchers (used on then-new, narrow, hooked-bead, double-walled rims) appeared in the mid-70's, and had become fairly popular in a range of widths (roughly 20-28mm) by 1980, and there were 27" counterparts to these same style and width tires and rims.
I really liked the fine Mitsuboshi "28mm"/27x1-1/8" onion-skin (really 25mm wide) clinchers as mounted to wider rims on my 1979 Fuji S12-S, a sensible and sporty tire/wheel sizing that is today once more widely in vogue.

My Steyr Clubman is a strange combination of standards, with it's "Precision Steel" frame having Metric tubing diameters, English BB threading and uniquely-Austrian 26mm-threaded steer tube with a smaller French 22mm ID. I had to source a replacement headset from an online Puch Moped supply shop in San Francisco, and the seatpost size was a very odd 25.6mm, but Kalloy/Amazon came to the rescue with a nice, long zero-offset post for it for $20 shipped.

Note that many front derailers will need to have their clamping plate mating surfaces shaved down a bit to clamp down tightly onto the smaller 28mm metric tubing, which typically measures well over that figure with paint thickness factored in. Metric brake cable housing clamps and shift lever clamps are also available and useful, the Metric top tube is actually slightly larger than English btw.

The 26.4mm seat tube ID could be either Metric or English, depending on the tubing spec. My (English) Raleigh Super Course with Reynolds "3 main tubes" measures 26.4mm ID, and better French frames built with Reynolds DB most often also measure 26.4mm.

The long and low geometry favors a shorter-legged, taller and fitter rider at first glance, but/and if the HT and ST angles are slack: 1) the steering response will favor the use of a shorter stem and 2) the top tube will give shorter effective reach than indicated by it's linear measure, respectively. My Steyr, similarly (and with 71x71 degree geometry), fits a good 2-3cm "smaller" than it's 59cm top tube would indicate, yet tolerates a 110mm stem since I fitted a wider handlebar to control steering heave while riding off of the saddle.
Hard to believe this is all-day comfortable for a 5'9" rider, albeit one long in the leg:

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/18/17 4:16 PM

Well, she rolls like a good steel bike. Fit is spot on too.

Not sure how much credit to give to the ultra smooth pimp ride over the broken pave in my street. Not with this susp post and and memory foam saddle. ;) Only post I had I could fit in the odd seatpost size and that saddle was already on there.

The Orange is totally pimpin too!

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

10/18/17 4:34 PM

Check out this local Colnago Chrome Master that lived as art on a wall in frame form according to the seller.

dddd

10/19/17 1:21 PM

It's alive!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/20/17 7:42 PM

Got some long reach Center pulls off eBay for 15.00 Shipped. MIJ Pair of Arai 6546-6-24 Front 6546-4-11 Rear.

Need some serious reach using 700 wheels on a bike that was 27.25 orig.

Talk about tire and fender Clearance. That tire is 28.8mm.

I also have some ALHONGA Long Reach Brakes new inbound. One set for Kobe, the other for the Crescent. Centerpulls for the Kobe I am thinking...

ALHONGA, Tektro clones? Some road pad carriers with Koolstop Salmons ought to do fine.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -