CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

RSL-10 Domane maybe sooner than I thought..

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

10/12/17 3:23 PM

RSL-10 Domane maybe sooner than I thought..

Got an eMail from my trek Store.

2017 RSL SegaFredo US frame Domane 10 with Dura-Ace 9150 Di2 $4500.00 off.

Got a call in waiting for the mngr to call me back with $#$ for them either trading out the $3k? tubulars for clinchers or me buying with no wheels altogether.

Option being if they come up short I may buy it for the 7500.00 and sell off the 9150 Di2 and Carbons wheels as new pulls. The Trek 375.00 handlebars with Carbon Stem included... Sell off the Domane 6... Part out the Scott yada..

I still have a loose Ultegra Di2 Group laying about.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dfcas

10/12/17 6:02 PM

Does this have the H1 ? Shorter head tube geometry and would you get a 58 or 60?

Sparky

10/12/17 6:13 PM

RSL=700 series OCLV H1, USA made. So 60CM for me in that particular frame. The Endurance 60 OTOH the headtube/stack would be untenable for me. I can barely get the bars low enough on my Series 6 H2 58CM. I just don't want to lay the stem on the headset, in fact Trek sez not to do it. Not that I need them for that decision.

The 60 RSL is 2.9 CM shorter head tube than the 58 Endurance. So I will have room for some spacers and some flex. The 58 in it longest cockpit cfg is right at my fit limit without resorting to a 13CM stem, and I'd like a little less setback if I am honest, just a touch. ;)

walter

10/12/17 6:15 PM

racey!

Sparky

10/12/17 6:25 PM

Not as aggressive up front as my Madone? Kind of between the Madone and H2 Endurance Domane HTA, but less trail than even the Madone. But I consider the Madone trail @ 5.6 too generous personally.

Question is how does one interpret slacker HTA of 72.8 with 5.1 trail on the RSL/H1 Domane VS 73.9 and 5.6 of the Madone H2 in the scheme of an aggressive front end.

dddd

10/13/17 12:04 AM

The Madone h2 sounds like it will have a shorter front-center, and will thus put more weight on the front wheel.
The added weight on the front tire will enhance stability, as will the longer stem that will be needed to fit the rider, so the steeper headtube angle won't make for such a twitchy bike.

The seattube angle also plays a role here in terms of possibly lengthening the reach for any given length of toptube, so a steeper seattube in and of itself would allow for a shorter stem and resulting quicker steering.

Slacker headtube angles seem to be in vogue at the moment, part of the trend toward shorter reach with higher handlebars, aka "endurance" geometry.
I was surprised to find that the reach, seattube and headtube angles of my 2004 "pro" Orbea Orca matches that of my Colnago CX-Zero endurance bike: 73.5 STA and 72.5 HTA with 55.5cm virtual TT. I've fitted both bikes with 110mm stems after a 120mm stem on the Orca caused my knees to knock against the top tube during sprint efforts.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/13/17 12:52 AM

STA on all of the ones I've sited is 72.8 and 73^. Nothing a slight slide of the saddle on the rails won't compensate for. ;)

WB is 104CM for the 60CM RSL, 102.2CM on the H2 58CM Endurance, and 100 on the 60CM Madone. 1.5CM longer Domane Chain Stays, so the rest is Front Center math suggests.

dan emery

10/13/17 2:55 AM

RSL

I would recommend at least trying a 58 if you have the opportunity. Mine fits perfectly with the spacers and a 120 stem - the position is the same as my Sachs (I don't measure stuff, but I can't tell the difference on the bike). I may be wrong, but I seem to recall that you ended up with a fairly short stem on the 58 Domane you had, which has a shorter tt than the RSL. The 60 is a pretty big frame. You may like it better, but I'd suggest comparing the 2 if you can.

As to the front end, I dunno about angles and trail and crap, but my 58 is not a quick handling bike. The Sachs is quicker, and I prefer it in that regard.

Have fun!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/13/17 7:25 AM

Dan, had you ridden a endurance GEOM Domane?

It concerns me your comment on the steering. It is what i had read was more responsive over the h2 endurance on the RSL. It is only .8^ steeper hta, but similarly dimension shorter trail. I am definately intetested in more road race bike like front steering else not worth the effort probably.

dan emery

10/13/17 7:35 AM

no other Trek experience

I haven't ridden any other Treks.

I think you would have to try the steering to see how you like it. I got on the bike after riding the Sachs for 4 years and the RSL is not as quick (however I consider the Sachs perfect). I would call the RSL steering neutral, kind of like the Serottas I rode for years. I don't consider it a problem, just not telepathic like the Sachs.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/13/17 7:50 AM

"just not telepathic like the Sachs"

My addict is like that, and I prefer it myself.

I may be taking review text of things like "Low trail front end of the RSL feels busy at first" too literally. My endurance Domane does not feel busy, and I like this kind 'busy' front end response.

Did you ever fit bigger tires on yours, I also read the RSL has more room than the Endurance. Mine fits a 32 up front, but it won't on the rear.

dan emery

10/13/17 8:06 AM

Busy busy

Everything is relative, and opinions are like a$$holes, everyone's got one.

I would not call the RSL front end busy at all. In fact, after I got on the Sachs after riding the RSL for a couple months, the front end wandered a bit before I autocorrected (in other words, I got a bit sloppy riding the Domane).

The RSL is made for long rides on bad roads, and if you're looking for a crit bike this ain't it. But I don't think there is any way to know how you'll like it without riding it. I think the main reason you would want this over other road bikes is to ride hard over bad roads, while still maintaining good performance on good roads.

I haven't felt the need for tires bigger than the 26s the bike came with, even over washboard dirt, because the absorption is so good. There is definitely room for bigger tires though I don't know how much bigger.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -