HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Froome's sprint for the Vuelta green jersey

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Brian Nystrom

9/13/17 3:42 PM

Froome's sprint for the Vuelta green jersey

I'll state up front that I thought the Vuelta was the most interesting and entertaining of this year's Grand Tours and I quite enjoyed it. Froome worked hard for the overall victory and it was well-deserved. While I've never been a Contador fan, I have to say that his win atop the Angliru was heroic and a fitting end to his career.

That said, what do you think of Froome sprinting for the green jersey and denying it to Mateo Trentin? Granted, this never should have been a possibility, but the ridiculous rules at the Vuelta all but hand the jersey to whoever is leading on GC (and don't get me started on the silly, white "combined" jersey and the cheesy daily trophies for Best Young Rider).

My take is that Froome contesting the green jersey was a bush league move that just makes him look like a complete jerk. Up until the final stage, he did nothing to earn it other than to ride for the GC. I completely agree with Trentin's take that for him to win four stages and not get the jersey was a "joke". I've lost a lot of respect for Froome for basically crapping on a rider who worked really really hard for something that would have meant a lot to him. For Froome, it's basically an afterthought, something to laugh about over beers with the team. It was really a low point in the race for me.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/13/17 7:29 PM

Agree all...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

LeeW

9/14/17 5:46 AM

I second "Agree All".

I will admit I am biased though. As an earlier poster said: I am Froomed/Skyed out.
For some reasons CF reminds me of Sheldon on Big Bang Theory... a bit of a dork.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

9/14/17 6:09 AM

Everyone is Froomed out. No style. Alberto showed what style is all about.

Sky does nothing but win, and you can argue that the passionless way in which they do it is only a reflection of their method. Me, I see the train of domestiques and think that I've read this book before, in the mid 2000's.

henoch

9/14/17 8:20 AM

Slightly cahnging the thread..

But Man if Alberto didn't have that one bad day this would have been one awesome race....
Love him or hate him, he is a racers racer and the sport will be much more boring without him.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/14/17 9:08 AM

Unfortunately, Lopez got lost. I had high hopes with all the MTN stages and MTN top finishes a new sheriff on the hills was in town.

I am still amazed how long AC stays out of the saddle on those sick climbs.

I NEVER thought I would see the day I would be routing for AC in any shape form or fashion. ;)

I really wanted to see him go out on the podium on this 'last race'.

It as me that made the Sky/Froome Show comment. These past few seasons with the likes of Yens and T Voeckler retired/gone, now AC...
Worst of which Sagan questionably yoinked out 2017 the season during the race we wait all tear for... WAH! ;)

walter

9/14/17 10:22 AM

good thread!

i was never a fan of bert during his glory years, but he's won my respect along the way. as someone said, he's a racer.

froomie...my eyes are still healing from watching his "pedalstroke" in last year's tour.

Sparky

9/14/17 10:37 AM

"my eyes are still healing"

On the Ausi feed to the TDF stages the one commentator referred to him looking like a frog in a sock on the bike. Which I thought both probably true and pretty funny... Although my description is usually just 'wonkiest looking'. He is like a bobble head animated gif on the bike, wonk. ;)

daddy-o

9/14/17 11:06 AM

I'm betting Froome won't try a Giro - Tour double next year. The margins are getting closer, but more importantly sponsor Sky knows what sells advertising and advertising pays for domestiques (Assuming Sky broadcasts the TDF.)

Now that Quintana has a couple of hundred hours racing GT and success, it might be time for him narrow his focus to July.

Since it didn't work, the Nibali / Quantana collaboration theory is in the journalists' back pockets for now.

Sagan is going to three-peat the Worlds. Sagan or the field for a TTF donation, anyone?

BTW, OLYHD TV subscribers, a search for 'UCI' in the listings for the next two weeks had 46 hits, world championships and cyclo-cross. (link)

daddy-o

9/14/17 11:22 AM

Official website of the 2017 Worlds

UCI website for the same

Course and profile, nice presentation

Nick Payne

9/15/17 6:48 AM

quote:
I am still amazed how long AC stays out of the saddle on those sick climbs
I read an interview with him a while ago where he said that in training he will sometimes do 20 minutes non-stop out of the saddle on a climb.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

9/15/17 7:28 AM

I climb out of the saddle a lot, too

That seems to surprise people, since I'm not a tiny climber type.

Sadly, the only real similarity between Alberto and me is that our first names both contain and "a", a "b" and an "r". :-(

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

9/24/17 11:33 AM

Sorry, I pocket dialed

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -