HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

WOT: vacum Cleaners

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
henoch

9/6/17 12:58 PM

WOT: vacum Cleaners

So.. in the way off topic department, I am in the market for a new vacuum, I have more or less narrowed it down to 2, anyone got any opinions?
Seems like there are experts here on everything else so I figure, why not this?.

Shark NV501 $179
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/shark-rotator-professional-lift-away-hepa-bagless-2-in-1-upright-vacuum-red/7039049.p?skuId=7039049

Dyson Ball Multifloor 2 $299
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dyson-ball-multifloor-2-bagless-upright-vacuum-yellow-iron/5712662.p?skuId=5712662

Reply to topic    

dfcas

9/6/17 2:59 PM

Having had both bagless and vacuums with a bag, i prefer a bag. I would buy a Riccar with a bag.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

9/6/17 3:20 PM

We did a Dyson expensive vacuum try in TN. In the end it was not built any better nor lasted any better than cheaper.

What it did do well, and crazy well at that, is pickup the finest dust particles imaginable.

It had some broken bits and was getting pretty tattered with 5-6 year of normal and careful use for the expense. It was left behind when we sold the house in TN.

Decided here in OR not to repeat the Dyson expense/experience. Instead we got a bag-less Hover at Home Depot for 1/3 the cost of the Dyson. Thinking if it did not suck [enough] we would just return it. It is not really holding up any better in terms of broken bits & cracks, but not worse either. Performance wise as good as the Dyson.

We prefer the bag-less by a margin, just empty it outside. And I use an air nozzle to clean the Hepa filter cartridge and all the static adhered micro dust particles not in the vortex [wind tunnel] collector.

It is from the Hover Wind Tunnel Series, has a deeper filtering for Pet/Paws designation, cost 150.00. I will buy another when enough bits bust off as to make it a PITA to use.

It does the minute dust particle collection as good as the Dyson did. It also maintains strong suction longer than the Dyson ever did before cleaning it out. But I clean after each use anyway. Which is less since our last greyhound went to the track in the sky. A lot less dirt gets brought in now for sure...

11 Cents... We borrowed a Dyson Ball unit at one point and found it a stupid design that got under things poorly.

Sparky

9/6/17 4:00 PM

We did a Dyson expensive vacuum try in TN. In the end it was not built any better nor lasted any better than cheaper.

What it did do well, and crazy well at that, is pickup the finest dust particles imaginable.

It had some broken bits and was getting pretty tattered with 5-6 year of normal and careful use for the expense. It was left behind when we sold the house in TN.

Decided here in OR not to repeat the Dyson expense/experience. Instead we got a bag-less Hoover at Home Depot for 1/3 the cost of the Dyson. Thinking if it did not suck [enough] we would just return it. It is not really holding up any better in terms of broken bits & cracks, but not worse either. Performance wise as good as the Dyson.

We prefer the bag-less by a margin, just empty it outside. And I use an air nozzle to clean the Hepa filter cartridge and all the static adhered micro dust particles not in the vortex [wind tunnel] collector.

It is from the Hoover Wind Tunnel Series, has a deeper filtering for Pet/Paws designation, cost 150.00. I will buy another when enough bits bust off as to make it a PITA to use.

It does the minute dust particle collection as good as the Dyson did. It also maintains strong suction longer than the Dyson ever did before cleaning it out. But I clean after each use anyway. Which is less since our last greyhound went to the track in the sky. A lot less dirt gets brought in now for sure...

11 Cents... We borrowed a Dyson Ball unit at one point and found it a stupid design that got under things poorly.

Last edited by Sparky on 9/6/17 6:16 PM; edited 1 time in total

Pat Clancy

9/6/17 5:54 PM

Consumer Reports sez:

Starting with the highest rated upright:

Kenmore Elite Pet Friendly 31150 - $300
Miele Dynamic U1 Cat & Dog - $650
Kenmore Pet Friendly 31140 - $200
Kenmore Progressive 31069 - $200
Hoover WindTunnel Max UH30600 - $180

There were dozens more rated, but the top five offer a good value spread.

I've had good luck with the Kenmore brand in general and specifically with their vacuums. With Sears really scratching for business these days, I'd be surprised if you can't beat the list prices above by a good margin.

Sparky

9/6/17 6:50 PM

"Hoover WindTunnel Max UH30600 - $180 "

Ours is a UH70212, and I guess I made it clear we are happy with it.

BTW, the cord rewind reel 4+ years later still works perfectly. This was what I thought would be the first thing to fook up. Goes all the way in every time, no snags, chokes, etc.

Worth a visit:
https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Vacuum-Cleaners

walter

9/6/17 7:32 PM

+1 on bag

i like miele.

if you have carpets, the jazz and similar models kick ass.

we also have a canister, the titan, but cans are a pain to drag around.

Sparky

9/6/17 7:43 PM

Bag this! ;}

KerryIrons

9/7/17 1:01 PM

Kenmore

Agree with Consumer Reports - Kenmore power-head canister is the machine for me. We're on our 2nd one (more than 10 years combined for the two of them) and the only thing wrong with it is that we have those new "super thick" carpets and that makes for extra drag. They now have a machine designed for that kind of carpet so when this one craps out, we'll get that. One of my daughters has a Kenmore and she likes it as well, while the other has a Dyson. The Dyson is heavy (stairs are hard work) and because it's an upright it's just plain more work to lug around and less maneuverable. You have to empty the thing after every vacuuming, which is easy but a bit messy.

Kenmore has been at the top of the Consumer Reports list for many years.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

9/7/17 3:33 PM

I have one of each, shark and Dyson ball. The shark arrived because my s/o decided she wanted an upright, and we both dislike the powerhead on the Dyson, which is weak and undecipherable in operation still after many years.

Both work ok. The only downside to our shark is no cord retraction. Otherwise, an equal or better vacuum. I think we have a cheap walmart one...

dan emery

9/7/17 4:03 PM

+1 on Walter

I like Miele too. I have a Flamenco II, a canister with a bag, works well and is very durable and simple. Plus a company of the same name makes bikes which I think would be an important tiebreaker.

I will admit that others doubtless give the vacuum more intensive use than I....Though mine must battle mass quantities of Dalmatian hair.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -