HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

2018 Giro starting in .....Israel !

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Marc N.

8/11/17 1:40 AM

2018 Giro starting in .....Israel !

According to reports, next years Giro is starting with a time trial in Jerusalem with another stage or 2 being considered for Tel Aviv and /or the Negev. While a time trial seems reasonable, I shudder to think of the potential snafu of our organizing one or two 150 - 200 km. stages. The thought of a Grand Tour being here is amazing.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

PLee

8/11/17 9:11 AM

Oh, boy. The geopolitical/religious/cultural issues in staging these races in Jerusalem and Israel boggle my mind.

Can the Giro run a stage on a Saturday in Jerusalem?

Might have to break out some popcorn . . .

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/11/17 10:16 AM

Wow, need more coffee before postulating this...

-Honestly, my initial thoughts are related to target rich terroist targets.

Last edited by Sparky on 8/11/17 12:57 PM; edited 1 time in total

April

8/11/17 12:43 PM

"Can the Giro run a stage on a Saturday in Jerusalem? "

Why not?

How different is it compare to running a stage on Sunday in Italy?

Jesus Saves

8/11/17 2:33 PM

If it is like the Dubai Tour, which has been successfully runned for ~ 5 years now, it will go largely unnoticed by the locals, as in few spectators (including camels).

Reply to topic    

Marc N.

8/12/17 1:05 AM

You gotta be kidding

The possibility of racing on a Saturday in Jerusalem is zero, zilch, it ain`t gonna happen. Hell, we had a government fall because one of the first F15`s or 16`s that arrived here landed a few minutes after the shabbat. If they tried to race on a Saturday, the terror problem would be the haredim (ultra orthodox Jews)
While we have a reasonable cycling community, J.S. is right in that most of the locals will not only be indifferent, but be pissed by the inconvenience.

PLee

8/14/17 7:22 AM

Marc N, thanks for confirming that.

I've never been to Israel, but I've had enough experiences with the orthodox neighborhoods here in Brooklyn to suspect that there may be issues with holding races in Israel.

Cyclists have been harassed during shabbat - myself included. During the marathon, the quietest parts of the route are the 59th St Bridge and the Verrazano Bridge, where there are no spectators, and the orthodox neighborhoods, where the spectators are silent, and people think nothing about strolling across the route without paying any attention to the runners.

Just another fascinating example of the cultural diversity that makes living here both fun and challenging.

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

8/14/17 7:44 AM

On NYC marathon day, I never experienced any difficulty running or bicycling with a large group (50+ people), through the Orthodox Jewish neighborhood in Brooklyn. All told, I may have done such a dozen times. Likewise the same is true when I was cycling with a group through such neighborhoods in Spring Valley, NY, even on a Saturday - for that a little more attentive care & caution was necessary.

All that written though, to your point, I would not have a race on Saturday, through a populated area, in Israel, out of respect for the locals. We do not know yet if that is the plan.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -