View posts since last visit

Portland, not Maine, gone nationwide

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
daddy-o

8/3/17 6:18 AM

Portland, not Maine, gone nationwide

Did I hear it right?

"No relief in sight. One hundred and seven degrees in Portland."

CBS radio morning news headline this AM.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Steve B.

8/3/17 7:57 AM

Big high pressure sitting overhead, I read 103, shy of the all time record, but jeez ain't nobody out there used to that.

Every once in a while it hits near that in San Francisco where my sisters live, nobody has AC.

Reply to topic    

JohnC

8/3/17 9:47 AM

Didn't quite hit the predicted high yesterday (I think it was 100, rather than 105), and I think they're dialing back today's forecast a little, too. Ironically, one of the factors keeping the temp down is a feedback mechanism from one of the common effects of high temperatures. Smoke from a big wildfire in Canada is apparently blocking enough sunlight to make a small difference (along with making the air unhealthy to breathe, of course).

April

8/3/17 10:04 AM

Which Portland again?

Sparky

8/3/17 1:01 PM

Typical we get 2-3 bouts per summer. After 10 years in Nashvegas and having to finish rides by 10:00 am latest in summer, it aint no thang.

The problem for outdoor activity is more two wildfires feeding smoke and the high keeping it parked over us. So I am skipping a few days for air quality rather than heat. Although my last ride was done by 12:00. If i did ride this am id be done by now, it hit 87 by noon. 87 with a touch of breeze and your motion at even 15 MPH is not too bad unless you stop out of the shade. :)

As to "No relief in sight", this one seems like it will be a little longer, but highs less than 100 after today forecast. That seems like it is in sight, albeit still high for here as far as extended periods go. Last one I recall was 2012, but the average high is not usually out of the 80s.

The forecast is for that 80s norm to return 12-13th or so.

Last edited by Sparky on 8/3/17 1:57 PM; edited 2 times in total

Jesus Saves

8/3/17 1:52 PM

hot pot

When I clicked on the link, I was expecting to read about the legalization of pot a la Senator Corey Booker.... a much different kind of high.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/3/17 1:59 PM

"expecting to read about the legalization of pot"

We already did that...

Steve B.

8/3/17 5:40 PM

Weather Underground says Portland at 101 currently, but 12% humidity.

That's tolerable. It's when the humidity gets up in the 70% range and above that anything over hi 80's keeps me off the bike.

Brian will have a laugh at that I'm sure

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/3/17 6:50 PM

99^ [corrected] here as I type this, 5:50pm. 17-18 miles from downtown as the crow flies.

Oops, I put 89 first, corrected.

Brian Nystrom

8/5/17 7:42 AM

Which Brian?

I hate heat and humidity, so I completely understand. That's why I live up north.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/5/17 9:43 AM

Us too, being even further north than the NE by a little bit. Not so you'd notice. ;) The pacific ocean really keeps more temperate overall temps through winter thankfully.

It hit the 50s last night, been nighttime lows in the 70s for a bit. Low/mids 90s for highs forecast for next week before normalizing in the low/mid 80s by mid month.

Shortish ride yesterday morning was nice. I just kept it short due to breathing in crap. AQI is actually back to good @ 24 rather than 155 for the last several days. All the shit blew up to CAN it seems.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -