Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Front derailleur issue

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
DPotter

7/18/17 1:58 PM

Front derailleur issue

Hi all

I dragged out my Surly long haul trucker so I could see about getting back into cycling a little bit.

Somehow over its layoff, the FD return spring holder in the casting has broken off. It's a Tiagra FD-4403. It seems like this piece might be hard or impossible to find.

Any expert suggestions for a currently available triple FD that might fit and work? Or a source for a replacement 4403?

Thanks in advance

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/18/17 3:58 PM

What are the chain rings and is it clamp on or braze on, or a braze on with a clamp/adapter?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

daddy-o

7/18/17 5:00 PM

You guys are neighbors, just ride over and see.

;0)

DPotter

7/18/17 5:35 PM

I'll ride right over sparky!

It's a clamp on, 28.6(?)

I believe its a 46,36,24 triple 9 speed.

Bottom pull.

I'll check the numbers for sure tomorrow.

Reply to topic    

dddd

7/18/17 7:45 PM

The cheaper levels of Shimano triple derailers are nearly notorious for having the pressure-cast spring stop snap off. I've broken off two from 105 8s front triple derailers, one after my having used sandpaper to relieve the link for better return clearance at the seat tube, after I chose a shorter bb spindle. I don't believe the parts were ever offered separately, but the afflicted link is likely part of the cage assembly.

One thing to be aware of is that shimano triple front derailers are each designed for a particular chainring size difference between the middle and large ring, which often makes using later models problematic. So for instance their later road triples used 39-52t larger rings versus 42-52t larger rings, the derailer needs to at least match the tooth count difference or shifting issues may surface.
Back in the 8s days and earlier, the front mech's were generally tolerant of chainring-size changes, but this seemed to end with 9s for mtb and with 10s for road (but with lower-level groups like Tiaga. the change to 39t occurred at/around that gruppo's 9s version).

Your estimate of 24-36-46t sounds like from an 8s Deore or Exage mtb group, but of course it has to use a road front mech to actuate properly with a road-sti shifter.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/18/17 7:52 PM

RSX-100 derailleur should work, Also the Ultegra R773 Triple 10sp should work, made for 50T but will work. I have a few of these new old stock braze on. With braze-on adapter you could use one. They are also made for clamp on if you go looking.

Of course if bar cons you can use a non compact MTN derailleur.

Maybe a MicroShift Centos Triple 10s could/should/would work.

Shimano Claris FD-2403...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -