HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

My former clubmate, finally stopped riding at 97

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
April

7/1/17 10:40 AM

My former clubmate, finally stopped riding at 97

I'm still on the e-mail list of my old club in Silicon Valley. Got e-mail about one of my former clubmate passing away at the age of 97. He continued riding till pretty much the very end.

This was an article written about him from 14 years ago when he was 83: http://www.bikecal.com/asp/columns-detail.asp?w=n&bRecNo=33

I know the TTF gang are also "up there" in average age. But I don't know if anyone is over 90...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

7/1/17 10:52 AM

Wow, God Bless. Sorry for your loosing a friend. I pray I get that far, I'll take close. RIP

dan emery

7/1/17 12:38 PM

Good for him

Great story. Folks can do amazing stuff at advanced ages.

I just saw this, which is completely awesome:

http://www.wcsh6.com/entertainment/television/bill-greens-maine/ninety-seven-year-old-maine-woman-lobsters-three-days-a-week/452232590

Reply to topic    

April

7/1/17 12:47 PM

We weren't close friends. But I rode with him in group rides a few times. I might have even been in one of his birthday rides.

I knew (everyone knew) he was a lot older than the rest of us. And like others, I was secretly wishing I'll be riding strong into my old age just like him.

97!!! That's pretty amazing!

It's also reassuring many of my "old" club-mates still appear to be going strong. There's definitely hope.

Sparky

7/1/17 1:02 PM

"97!!! That's pretty amazing! "

Purely Amazing!

dddd

7/1/17 3:13 PM

I'm recalling reading about a century ride in the Boston area where a 93-year-old gent recently completed that ride.

In our club the oldest are in their 70's, one recent birthday ride had a ~74-yr-old ex-club president showing up with his new, high-end, disc-braked wonder.
Half-way through the ride, word came around via cell phone that he had ridden into an old-style storm grate and done two forward rolls from nearly 20mph, breaking his neck. That was back in late January, and fortunately he has since lost his neck brace and joined us on a few challenging rides. His bike also survived, just needed a few minor repairs iir.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

7/2/17 4:12 PM

Google "Robert Marchand" - he's the 105 year old French cyclist for whom the UCI keep having to create new age categories so that they can list his records.

When we rode across Switzerland and France to the Pyrenees last year - and then tackled a few big climbs - Tourmalet, Aubisque, Luz Ardiden, etc - two members of our group were in their late 70s.

Reply to topic    

April

7/3/17 9:20 AM

When I was in California (in THAT club), we had quite a few of those 'birthday rides' for the 70+ members every year. Some of them too fast for me to keep up.

So I always knew there were quite a few 70 year old that were still going strong. But this guy was the only 80+ in that crowd.

Fortunately, quite a few of those then strong 70 year old are still alive and kicking now. So I might hear more of them riding into their 90's in the next few years.

Last edited by April on 7/3/17 9:54 AM; edited 1 time in total

dan emery

7/3/17 9:24 AM

"too fat for me to keep up"

I know it's a typo, but it's a good one....

Reply to topic    

April

7/3/17 9:53 AM

Haha!

Good catch! Corrected.

Sparky

7/3/17 12:47 PM

LOL on the typo...

'far' would have been the typo for me. ;)

quote:
wikiPed: In February 2012, he set a world record in one-hour track cycling in the over-100 age group at 24.250 kilometres (15.068 mi). He improved this record to 26.927 kilometres (16.732 mi) in January 2014

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -