Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

5/19/17 7:17 PM

"Get past it! "

Thanks, I didn't needed that. ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

5/22/17 5:03 PM

"The President Just Told a Room of Israelis That He "Just Got Back From the Middle East"

I guess he considers Israel the west east?

daddy-o

5/22/17 5:55 PM

While wearing his good Samaritan award from the Saudis I bet.

henoch

5/23/17 9:34 AM

Did he really say that?

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

5/23/17 10:58 AM

And I didn't mention it now either

"We just got back from the Middle East"
"Just so you understand, I never mentioned the name or the word 'Isreal,' never mentioned it"
YouTube links

Sparky

5/23/17 11:14 AM

Who said he is not a politician? I saw no story that reported that he indicated where the Intel originated. Lets officiate, let's do. ;)

So he is the one responding to news that did not exist is looks like.

henoch

5/23/17 12:53 PM

The shot of that guy wiping his forehead is priceless....
Just when you think you have seen it all...

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/23/17 1:30 PM

As soon as he said 'believe me" x2 my first thought is that it will be something he definitely will do the exact opposite of when it comes down to it.

PLee

5/23/17 4:21 PM

Is it just me? Every time I hear 45 accuse someone else of doing something wrong, I can't help but think that 45 does the same thing, only worse and repetitively.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/23/17 5:39 PM

For sure on 45s method of doing that..

April

5/23/17 8:20 PM

"Is it just me?"

No, it's not just you. But instead of "thinking" he does the same, I distinctly remember where and when he DID the same.

I'm not sure what makes him think the rest of the world don't remember that, except perhaps HE forgot he did what he did!

daddy-o

5/24/17 10:55 AM

Mindlessness, a discipline has found its guru.

The Guardian

Sparky

5/24/17 11:36 AM

Or just go full Wakefield ala Brian Cranston's latest film...

KerryIrons

5/24/17 12:45 PM

Believe me

I understand the translators are having a tough time converting Trump's version of the English language into something intelligible. Every time he says "believe me" of course we all know we shouldn't. If you read his responses to direct questions you come to the conclusion that he can never be trapped by what he says because his answers are so vague and incoherent that you can't really say he lied.

I used to work with a guy who prefaced questions with "Now tell the truth," and so I finally said something like "Normally I don't tell the truth, but just because you asked I will this once."

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/25/17 7:53 PM

The 7 year old spoiled rich kid ain't waiting for lessor kids, me, me, at the front of the line, i want some.... What is it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoHL5wy0RQo

Sparky

5/31/17 10:14 AM

What is the net result going to be with Trump & Germany? I originally thought China would be the kick off target if/war a trade war commenced?

Brian Nystrom

5/31/17 11:03 AM

The Trump trade commments are just bluster and BS...

...and simply show that he has no understanding of our trade relationship with Germany. There's not going to be any trade war with them.

The one positive to come of this is what we heard from Angela Merkel, that the European countries need to get off of their asses and invest in their own security, rather than sucking on the teat of the US and our military (she put it much more diplomatically). That's been overdue for decades.

Reply to topic    

April

5/31/17 2:30 PM

Is it really a good thing to urge the European countries to get serious about thei own defense?

Arms sale is one of the key US export. Witness the celebration of the weapon sale to the Saudi. We have the best military industry in the world. Perhaps paying for NATO is actually better for the US in the whole?

Brian Nystrom

5/31/17 3:20 PM

Ironically, France has a huge military industry...

...that encompasses everything from small arms to aircraft. They even have this little item:

http://www.militarylulz.com/the-french-army-knife-win-french-military-funny-1131.html

Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;-)

Germany has a well-developed firearms industry and possibly more; I'm not certain. The British are big in aircraft. They're all competitors to US companies in those fields. If push came to shove, they could be largely self-sufficient in many areas.

Where I think we hold the edge is in missile technology and possibly in electronics (radars, jamming technology, etc.), though the French do some missiles, too. I don't know for certain, but I think that's our primary market in Europe. If Erik sees this, he'll probably know a lot more about it than I do.

Israel, though not part of Europe, has an enormous and very sophisticated military industry, out of necessity. They compete in the European market.

Saudi Arabia doesn't make any of it's own weapons systems as far as I know. While we don't have to worry about them buying from the Israelis, European companies compete in that market. We have a long-standing relationship with the Saudis that gives us a lot of leverage, so AFAIK, we are the overwhelmingly dominant player there.

More importantly, what I meant is not so much that the European countries should produce more weaponry, but rather that they increase their military spending to a level that's commensurate with the threats they face and protect their own butts. That could even result in a net gain to our military suppliers, though that's really beside the point. We've been protecting them for decades at enormous expense. We should just be in the role of the ultimate backup to their own forces in the event that something truly major happens, which is still pretty unlikely, even with Putin rattling swords in Russia constantly.

We need our resources to deal with the global threats like Russia, China, North Korea (not a threat to us or Europe, but they could really make a mess of our Asian allies) and Islamic terrorism. We can't be everywhere anymore.

Reply to topic    

April

5/31/17 3:31 PM

I don't know enough about it he competition in the arms industry, except that we rely a lot on the sales of arms to boost our export.

What I mean is, once the smaller European countries actually contributes meaningful money in their own defense, it's only natural they want to do some development of their own. Unlike the Saudi which doesn't make ANYTHING besides oil, some of these European countries MAY become competitors if they put their mind to it. Do we want to push them to do so?

Brian Nystrom

5/31/17 6:54 PM

I don't see it...

...as being much of a risk. It's not something you can do easily, cost effectively or in a hurry.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

5/31/17 8:58 PM

Protecting our allies subsidizes their economic competitiveness.

World Bank graph / spreadsheet of %GDP as military expenditure. Since the pre-brexit E.U. is the equivalent of the U.S. in GDP, a partial re-balancing of the NATO-Euro military obligation would free annually $100B for U.S. infrastructure, education, social entitlements, healthcare, even tax cuts.

The U.S. spends a tremendous amount of its intellectual capital on defense. That capital that is not free to make the U.S. competitive in technologies beneficial to humanity.

The President wants to scrap a global climate agreement that his former-CIO-of-Exxon Secretary of State wants to maintain. The U.S. may be able to invent and sell devices to maintain and raise a global standard of living by addressing climate change. It is dumbfounding that leaders do not see such opportunities.

But that intellectual capital is not being used to create products to make the nation more competitive globally in ways that affect most of the world on a daily basis.

"Stupid 'Muricans, shorter life span, higher infant mortality, crap education, two weeks vacation, etc." Yeah, because the U.S. is beating its self senseless to protect its allies.

Sparky

6/1/17 4:43 PM

Yeah, 190 other countries want to give the US a do over. And make a deal after they made one already you welched on.

daddy-o

6/1/17 6:50 PM

I wasn't paying attention. So this is a treaty ratified by the Senate and the earliest the US can back out is the day after election day 2020?

2018 matters.
Start TODAY talking to your friends and family members at home and in other states to remind them we are in this situation because people did not vote. Governors, State Congresses, the US House of Representatives, Senators, all of these will be decided in 2018. Your vote is your voice.

April

6/1/17 7:51 PM

Preaching to the choir?

How many of this group live in flip-flop states?

I just had a rather heated debate with a Catholic who came up with all kind of excuses for why he voted for Trump. Until he finally couldn't defend his excuses any more and admitted it's because of abortion!

This is someone who's well-educated and intelligent. He's true rational is he believe Trump couldn't do all that much harm. So the price for an anti-abortion president is "acceptable" in his mind. I don't think he's seen the light just yet.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -