CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Discovered the best decaf coffee I've ever had.

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

3/14/17 8:23 AM

Discovered the best decaf coffee I've ever had.

Caffe Umbria Mezzanotte Decaf Blend

We discovered this at a restaurant here which the deserts on the menu cost more than the entrees. ;)

It takes away the disappointment in body and flavor usually associated with decaf coffee on the palate.

Amazon/eBay available.

Don't confuse the time of this positing with the decaf, I just had some high power cafe . ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

3/14/17 8:52 AM

BTW, looks like the Boston St. Patties Day Parade will be traversed in snow shoes this year.

Stay safe on that coast y'all.

daddy-o

3/14/17 11:53 AM

How acidic is it? Heartburn is problem #2 with an evening cup.

Sparky

3/14/17 12:04 PM

"How acidic is it?"

Let me put it this way. We keep our egg shells to sprinkle on the grounds in our drip to deal with that. I don't find it is needed with this coffee. Really less so with decaf overall in my experience. But this is so full bodied I do not feel I have to make it a lot stronger like I do with other decaf beans as with usual brewing. Fresher beans? Perhaps...

My fav is 1/2 and 1/2 ing this.

My brother had a failed cardio oblation which resulted in a pace maker on day two. So I got some of this to send him some as his stimulant days is over. So I got two for us and will be keeping stock.

dddd

3/14/17 9:18 PM

Plan B for decaf is Maxwell House, the best decaf that I have sampled to date.

I use a Keurig if that has anything to do with it, but I use a refillable K-cup with pre-ground coffee.

I also enjoy mixing half and half, which often gets me out the door for my evening jog of 1.5 or 5 miles at a modest 12-min/mi pace.

Reply to topic    

pete hausner

3/21/17 6:53 PM

Gonna give it a try, Bob...

$11.38 for a 12 oz bag on Amazon, and free shipping with Prime.

Thanks for the tip...

PH

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/21/17 8:04 PM

Let us know if you think it is as good as I do.

I am about to order more. I always do 1/2 and 1/2 or it just alone. Opened my second bag.

I suggest also it 1/2 with Peet's Big Bang for a very smooth savory/mocha smooth java.

pete hausner

3/22/17 8:23 AM

Spot on...

I plan to go 50-50 with Peet's regular Mocha Java, which is my go to breakfast coffee. Plan to replace the decaf Mocha Java I've been using, which I find insipid, with this stuff...

Reply to topic    

Rickk

3/24/17 3:53 PM

Dddd's plan B for decaff may have merit :

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4855626

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/24/17 4:18 PM

"I also enjoy mixing half and half"

BTW, It seems 1/2_1/2 all has corn syrup, no? And I don't do corn syrup.

I do like when Elaine make Trifle and there is heavy whipping cream left over. Not that I need all the fat, but it tastes good. ;)

We do creamers with cane sugar for sweetener.

dddd

3/24/17 4:48 PM

In the context of this discussion, 1/2 and 1/2 would mean using half decaf grounds and half regular. The real dairy half and half would be just milk and cream, again no added sugar or syrup, though various "creamers" contain all manner of processed junk and mucho syrup (yuck).

Rickk, thanks, I'll have to try the 8-O-clock decaf next time, their regular coffee is one of the best as well, it's what I mix with any fancy single-source coffee that has perhaps too much character.

Scrolling down through the page, it was interesting to review all of the drink definitions. My own version of Americano also uses just 2oz of hot water with some sugar and just enough heavy cream to cool it down a little.
I don't worry about the fat content because I don't indulge in ice cream which has probably ten times more fat per serving than my little drink does.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/24/17 5:09 PM

DUH... ;( I misread the context I guess...

Please to excuse...

Jesus Saves

3/25/17 5:12 AM

It's okay, sparky. I did not find your post to be half bad.

Reply to topic    

pete hausner

4/16/17 2:57 PM

I like it, a lot...

Tried it by itself, both hot and iced, and 50-50 with Peet's Mocha Java, hot. It's gonna be my new decaf go-to.

Thanks for the heads up, Bob!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/16/17 5:29 PM

We ordered 3 more bags. Not giving any of these away like we did on the first 3. ;)

We skip the crushed egg shells in our 50/50 mix. this is some smooth pimp java. We have been using crushed egg shells in our drip machine for years.

BTW, this is the dessert menu form Papa Haydn where we discovered this coffee.

http://www.papahaydn.com/papa-east-desserts

Droooool.....

Sparky

5/12/17 6:59 PM

For Pete's sake!!

So with the help of this really fine coffee, I have decaffeinated myself totally. Just drinking the decaf alone in about a month.

Now for Pete's sake: I began having heart palpitations way more frequently, so I stopped all coffee for the last week. And the worst episodes yet started up, to the point I was thinking about hit the cardiologist. Until my retired Pharmacist friend told me to have a real mug of strong coffee.

I feel great today and the palpitations lessened considerably, not quite non existent. I should have cleared the 3 weeks it supposedly takes to get over caffeine dependency. Judging by my headaches gone now and noted with other quitings over time. ;)

I won't even try to repeat what he told me in explanation. But apparently I need some caffeine to get my resting heart rate over 50. Because at even low activity heart rates I have no issue [That I notice].

And my thinking/pausing to go the the Dr. for possibly a non issue [always have occasional palps since young]. Due to starting a pre-existing condition for nada is pissing me off that it is even a factor, but it is now.
How many other idiot doing/feeling similarly??

Shoulda posted this in and after re renaming the other thread back to the Fook Trump thread I guess...

daddy-o

5/14/17 10:57 AM

Medical advice

Now that you've stopped laughing

insert standard "I'm not a doctor" disclaimer here

I know there's an RN in your orbit Sparky.

Consider buying a bottle of caffeine pills. They're easy to snap in half. A 20oz dark at Starbucks has two pills worth, a label dose of any OTC 'migraine' formula has >half a pill, along with aspirin and tylenol, lower case t.

Heart meds, this is just a data point, I've heard from two MDs the generalization that heart meds and statins have been prescribed long enough for statistical trends to emerge. They both have demonstrated benefits beyond their FDA prescribed purpose. I.e. lifetimes are longer and better in ways that are unintended, and beyond what is expected. Both MDs said the mechanism is not understood.

This is hearsay. So if you hear someone else say it you'll have more hearsay evidence.

How's that for a disclaimer?

Sparky

5/14/17 11:25 AM

I feel even better 2 days out. I am not doing the second [3rd] mugs on the day though. Probably all really shoulda done in the first place. ;)

I find myself wondering if the process which the decaf could be responsible some way.

I kind of listened to my Pharmacist friend more than my RN/SIS. You really got to know you A&P on deeps levels at a systemic level I figure. ;)

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -