HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

House woes #3 -- water leak!

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
April

5/1/17 7:27 AM

House woes #3 -- water leak!

This WAS the cause of the slightly wer carpet: the main water shut off valve. I thought I took care of it by tightening the 2 nuts on top of the valve -- for a day. Now it's dripping again!

This, looks to be the main valve where water comes in from outside into the house. In order to replace the leaky valve, one need to be able to stop the water from somewhere further upstream, from somewhere OUTSIDE the house. :-(

I suspect it might be time to call in the pro's? unless there's something else simple that one can easily do to remedy that which I overlooked?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Steve B.

5/1/17 8:15 AM

Out near the street (if using municipal water supply) is a "water box", a 6 inch square steel plate. It has a cover that's removable and a few feet down is the street valve, which shuts off supply to the house.

Bottom line though is a plumber is needed to replace the shutoff in the house, they in turn will have the long square tool that shuts off at the street.

Reply to topic    

April

5/1/17 10:43 AM

Thanks. Plumber appointment made for Wednesday.

(I was a bit panicky because this being Monday rather than Friday, which means I won't be at the house to monitor the situation like I was over the weekend)

In the mean time, I gave the nut another hard twist. It felt like it turned a tiny bit in response. I'll find out on Wednesday if that solve the problem. If not, I'll have the pro's on their way to me.

Matthew Currie

5/1/17 11:40 PM

If the valve is leaking at the stem, you may have to tighten the nut a good bit as it ages, but that will usually stop it. Remember that if it's an emergency cutoff it need not be free moving. Tight is fine. The other thing is to make sure that the valve is open all the way. Many valves will seal best when fully open.

Reply to topic    

April

5/16/17 10:15 AM

Thanks Matthew! That did the trick. It's been almost 2 weeks now and there's not more water in the drip pan.

Sparky

5/16/17 12:42 PM

The 'packing nut' when the seal is old and dry... Turing it at all can cause it to leak. Then tightening it to make stop leaking usually has the opposite effect. Older, more likely to leak worse the more you dont leave it alone.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -