HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

RATS!
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
PLee

5/2/17 1:17 PM

Squirrels can be pretty destructive. They'll chew through almost anything, including aluminum siding. But, they hate hot sauce . . .

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/2/17 1:25 PM

Might explain the bigger hole you mentioned...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Matthew Currie

5/3/17 11:01 PM

I'm betting mice still. If you use spring traps, one of the other things that works well for bait is peanut butter, because if it's stuck to the trigger of the trap, the mouse can't just knock it off.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

5/4/17 8:52 AM

Acting squirrely

The squirrel trying so hard to find a way in may suggest a nest somewhere in your house. The hunt begins.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/4/17 9:52 AM

"squirrel trying so hard to find a way in may suggest a nest somewhere in your house"

Way more invasive as mice I can say from experience.
And way more work to eradicate as well.

In NJ the rental house was ballon framed, built in the 20s. That means the 2x4 wall run all the way up to the roof from the basement, open. Over the 50s and 60s codes made this building practices stop for fire reasons. The fire could and did chimney quickly up the bays in the wall all the way up up up with the nice venting path.

Anyway, we had baby squirrels falling down the walls from the eves to the basement. The dog would get them and we'd have to make him drop them to toos them outside. Soft mouth bird dog that would just hold onto them and not bite hard or eat etc. We were more afraid of rabies honestly....

I am not aware of what and where squirrel dropping as far as identification of presence. Plus they do not run along the walls as rats and mice to to see the droppings trails I don,t think...

I think you can rent live traps. As you catch them you can relocate then to some woods as far from your house as in practicable.

PLee

5/4/17 12:41 PM

Or squirrel soup. It's supposed to be good for you.

Reply to topic    

Matthew Currie

5/4/17 6:17 PM

Long long ago my dad, who was very tender hearted - the kind of person who if he ran over a squirrel would take a detour coming home to avoid the scene - had to trap some mice, so he had a tiny mouse sized Havahart trap. He thought he was recognizing them after a while, so he got some genuine lab mouse dye from a biologist friend, and marked the mice he released. He determined that to be sure of no repeats, you'd better take a mouse about a mile away!

If it's squirrels, you might try squirrel pie, which is said to be quite tasty.

However, I do not recommend shooting the squirrels inside the house. I knew someone who did this from time to time, and it is VERY loud, and tends to mark up the walls.

Reply to topic    

April

5/4/17 11:33 PM

I did wish I had a bb gun when I saw the squirrel boldly stroll up and down my walkway.

I haven't shot at a moving target for 20+ years. It was an awfully tempting challenge!

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -