Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

The Dan~mane Lands
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

4/19/17 6:38 PM

May as well stick it here as well.

This one shows the differences for a 58CM as marked.
That is one short Headtube for the Classics Ed for a 58, smokes. Race Shop same HT lengths apparently.

It appears the Classic Ed and RSL have same Geom unless I missed something...

Although you can add 1CM [+/-] effective HT length as the stack height is increased by the much lower BB drop on the Domanes than the Madone/Emonda.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

4/19/17 7:19 PM

Thanks for posting the charts. I assume since the rim brake versions use short reach brakes the fork is around 370mm axle-crown. ? And I assume the disc versions have the same height forks since the geometry chart is the same.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

4/19/17 7:35 PM

I can say the measurements here, Domane VS Madone: the Axle to crown is about 11mm longer on the Domane than the Madone.

Domane Axle to crown is about 386 VS 375 on the Madone. Now I measured along the fork leg, so the actual meas is less by 2-3mm maybe.

It make sense with 72^ HTA and 53mm Rake VS Madone 73.9 HTA and 40mm rake the fork would have to be longer. Benefit being more room for tire/fender etc. Domane being more chopper like. ;)

Did you see the pic I posted with the 10 speed Dura Ace Short Reach calipers on my Domane. The shoe is close to bottomed in the slot in the front and about 2/3s down in the rear.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

4/20/17 8:10 AM

Yes, I saw the brake picture. Thats how they are able to fit a ~30mm tire in there. I'm planning to off load some inventory so I will have room for another frame in case 1 comes along. I'm done with pure road bikes.

Marc N.

4/20/17 10:56 AM

Done with pure road bikes ?

dfcas - While the Domane is capable of wondering a bit off the road, it is nevertheless a road and not a cross bike. Maybe others would be braver than me, but I would be very weary of wondering too far off something that resembles a reasonable surface. Of course, this is coming from someone who has only ridden a road bike, so maybe I`m not the right one to reply.

Sparky

4/20/17 11:13 AM

Agree with Mark. Unless you are 130lb a 28 or even 30 off piste has limits.

CX bikes I have found have BB drops way less than optimum for non barrier off piste jaunting.

Note the trend of big BB drop for 'gravel' bikes. FWIW, all my favorite rides are 75mm or more BB drop. When you can fit a 38 and bigger you need more drop. CX tend to have small BB drop for 33 CX tires. Put a 42 on there and you may disapprove of the stability ration when off pave.

This coming from some one who spent 10 plus years on motocross a few days a week. On less than smooth terrain. ;)

Reply to topic    

dfcas

4/20/17 2:22 PM

in my size ~59 or so I consider a pure road bike to have shortish chainstays 41.5cm or less, a head angle 73* or steeper, and tire clearance limited to 28mm, maybe less. A Domane meets none of these criteria. I consider a Domane a sport road bike- 42.5 stays, ~72 head angle, and clearance for a 30mm tire.

My Poprad had 74mm BB drop and my custom ti has 8cm BB drop. I know the Domane is not an offroad bike but I do consider it a rough road bike and the roads we have here now are not worth riding on a road bike.

So I maintain that I don't want anymore pure road bikes. Sport road, yes.

Sparky

4/20/17 2:57 PM

I think a lot of us are 'there' probably... ;)

Reply to topic    

Marc N.

4/21/17 5:54 AM

dfcas - As much as I bitch about our roads, I`m sure they are better than what you have to contend with. Yes, I think the Domane is a rough road bike, but not more than that. I believe the idea behind the geometry is to answer a demand that has risen with the number of older riders looking for a more comfortable road bike and not to make a road bike that is meant to be ridden off road. After all, this is still a relatively light weight carbon bike that has a maximum rider weight attached to it. And I totally agree with Sparky, that a lot of us are not probably, but are there already. I for sure am.

Sparky

4/21/17 10:53 PM

"Poprad had 74mm BB drop"

My 2010 TCX also have a healthy BB drop, then in 2012 Giant changed it to 55mm drop IIRC.

So you should take my comment regarding CX BB drop for the trend that appeared from about then and forward.

50+ miles on the Damn-money today. I need to lower the bars as I expected...

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -