Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

The Dan~mane Lands
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

5/14/17 8:00 AM

It's about the bike

Took the Domane out yesterday on the type of ride I've been thinking about since I got it - nearly 3 hours, hilly, lots of up and down washboard dirt. Lots of this I had never even thought of doing on a road bike before, riding it on a cross bike with 33mm tires. The Domane with 26 tires is fantastic on the washboard - for most of it I like the Domane better than the cross bike.

With loose stuff I might like a little more rubber for handling, but the shock absorption is great. With a little downward pressure on the bars you don't get bounced around, so you can pedal through the bumps as hard as you want, which is a blast. Any other road bike I know of, you'd be thrown all over the place on this stuff. And on smooth surface the Domane is also great.

For my $, the front and rear decoupler stuff just flat work. I might experiment with 28s for loose dirt/gravel, but for most riding I think the 26s are fine.

No second thoughts on the RSL geometry, I love it (with the spacers).

And I like the eTap shifting more with each use, particularly the front under load. I still screw up rear shifts occasionally with my Ergo programming.

My busted leg is also riding pretty well - it is still a little lacking on high torque, low cadence uphill grunt (signed up for D2R2, the grunt fest, in August), standing up is a bit shaky, and endurance is not all back (it's good for about 3 tough hours at this point I'd say). But I don't think that's bad as I was on toe touch weightbearing a couple months ago.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/14/17 8:26 AM

Fantastic! Bike and especially the peg. ;)

On the spacers, I went with 58 so I would have more to allow for some more flex. The shorter TT with right Stem and bar reach = same cockpit length. It did concern me frankly. I actually shortened it with a little less setback after the 3rd ride and am liking it. I have not ridden anything else since building it.

Di2 going on as soon as the chain comes.... Along with the TUX, flexiest carbon bars in the test I had posted. Shit they are a light bar, my God. Got some Cinelli Gel strips that are going on the drops for more muting as well.

In a nut shell, the designed in comfort aspects have no compromise in the performance I can note what-so-ever.

I'll say it again, it is an easy bike to really like, without going all fanboy on the subject.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

5/24/17 6:23 PM

Finito~

Popped the Di2 on. Did some poser two tone tape job...

Chain rings are 34/52 which the Di2 shifts fine.

So I guess finito.

Lets put the Segra-frodo-baggins [he ducks] up for side by side Domaneage..

Last edited by Sparky on 5/27/17 9:13 PM; edited 3 times in total

dan emery

5/27/17 3:10 PM

Data point

I finally got the summer tires back on my commuting bike (I put the studs on the day before l busted my leg, and never rode them). Rode to the office today, nice Compass 650bx42 tires @50 psi. I like the Domane with its 26s @90 better over bumps, particularly big ones.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/27/17 8:03 PM

"I put the studs on the day before l busted my leg, and never rode them"

Figures, right? ;)

Note: On the TUX Control Tech bars. The top bends to the hood start early and have a sorta mandrel bend and 78mm reach. With the STI up a little high my outer palm/heel hangs with the bend in my palm. Off the nerve, like it a lot.

I put Cinelli gel strips from the bar end up the length of the drops. Some absorption again to the hand. And my thought was the gel density on the ends might act like motorcycle bar end weights for dampening. Not having tried it without the gel pads, hard to quantify if effective.

Love the big slow deepish drops and curve up without an erg bump.

Used a front 25mm Conti GP4K, it was on those 11s wheels and is 28mm on these wide rims. [1st build was 10 speed DA and 10s wheels].

Maybe when I put the 28mm GP4k [30.8 on wide rim] I will know if the TUX bars and gel tips are helping at all. It IS going on, and a 25 GP4K on the rear pulling off my winter Pro4 Service Course.

Yada

dan emery

6/4/17 4:26 PM

First eTap glitch

Well I guess the honeymoon is over (with eTap, not the Domane). The right shifter just stopped working. It was fine on one ride, when I started the next ride it was dead. The left shifter worked fine, but the right didn't move the derailleur, and the battery light did not light up at all. I changed the shifter battery (a coin battery, and a major PITA to change BTW), and for good measure recharged the derailleur batteries, but no change.

I can't think what else it could be other than a defective component, but it's beyond me. I guess I'll take it into the shop and let them figure it out. My preliminary assessment of eTap has changed form "unnecessary but cool" to "POS," but we'll see, maybe I'm missing something.

I'd feel worse, but the consequence is that I ride the RS, which really is just a good a bike, just different.

And a perspective I have now due to my busted leg is that any equipment failure is trivial compared to how well my leg is working, and it's working great.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/4/17 8:33 PM

Well, keep us posted as to what actually occurred.

Brian Nystrom

6/5/17 5:09 AM

Does eTAP have any diagnostic capability?

With Di2, you can hook the bike up to a computer for diagnostics, upgrades and customization. Can you do the same with eTAP? One would think there'd be some such capability.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

6/5/17 8:47 AM

Never Mind

OK this is really stupid. I correctly replaced the shifter battery, but neglected to notice that the battery had a plastic film over it......

So the problem was an early battery outage, hopefully it was just a bad battery.

You can all laugh now.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/5/17 9:47 AM

FECES OCCURS...

Easy fix, did you catch it, or did the LBS.

dan emery

6/5/17 10:05 AM

Unfortunately...

The LBS caught it. I am leaving for a conference for a week, so I dropped the bike off and was about to leave when the owner wanted to ask me some questions about Mallorca, so while I was chatting with him the mechanic brought the bike over and said "fixed," I said "what was it?" and he said "you might not want to know..."

Reply to topic    

henoch

6/5/17 10:24 AM

Glad to hear that it has a happy (and simple) ending.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/5/17 10:24 AM

It reminds me of when Elaine got a new [used] car before we started getting new again, and ran it out of gas on the 1st tank.

I went and recovered it, and told her it was an easy fix. ;)

Question is, is the result like getting the trots on your honeymoon? Is the Sachs going back to the front of the queue I am wondering.

Are you planning on having some spare batteries on board?

Now that I have 2 Di2 setup with the same external batteries, I am thinking I might bring the second battery charged full if/when multi-day trips occur.

I did have one situation battery wise. I washed the Domane and the next day the rear would not shift. If you press for a few seconds on a switch you engage the LED indicator, it was amber. Grabbed the the charged battery out of the Scott and went for my ride leaving the low batt in the charger.

There are O-rings where the battery plugs in to module keep this from happening. I wondered WTF, but no repeat. Serves me right for cleaning the bike I figure. ;) I was pretty careful with the hose on the DRs and Batt. Maybe makes the case for an internal battery...

dan emery

6/5/17 11:58 AM

Spares

Not sure I'll carry them. One advantage of this fiasco was I familiarized myself with the battery systems. All have indicator lights (but you need to test and look for them or you won't see them). The derailleur batteries are easy to recharge so I shouldn't need extras of those. The shifter (coin) batteries SHOULD only need to be replaced every year or 2 (though apparently I had a bad one), plus they have indicator lights, plus they are not easy to replace and I wouldn't want to do it on the side of the road anyway.

You have to pull the hood way back and there is one tiny screw on the battery cover that is hard to access because you (or at least I) can't get the hood back far enough for clean access - you can get the screw out using the screwdriver as a lever on the hood, but getting the screw back in was sketchy and I was relieved when it finally threaded in. I had visions of launching the tiny screw into the stratosphere...

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/5/17 12:33 PM

Time will tell if a bad battery or it is getting drained prematurely. Just as i will be watching with some paranoia after my drained di2 batt.

dan emery

6/5/17 12:47 PM

You're right

Though at least it has an indicator light which I will now be checking frequently.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

6/5/17 2:14 PM

The 2032 batteries...

...also fit Garmin speed/cadence sensors and chest belts, and those of other brands too. It's worth having spares on hand and considering that they weigh next to nothing, it would also seem prudent to keep one spare on the bike just in case, even if changing them is a pain. Is it really more of a hassle than having to ride a 2-speed or 11-speed bike for potentially a substantial distance?

Reply to topic    

dan emery

6/5/17 2:48 PM

Perhaps

Though I don't use any of that other stuff, and the battery does have an indicator light so if it is green at the start presumably it won't fail on a ride. If it were red I'd change it before the ride. And yes I might well ride it back one speed rather than change the PITA thing on the side of the road. With eTap if one lever doesn't work you will eventually get to one speed because you can only shift in one direction and the front won't work.

Time will tell if it is a significant issue. I don't expect it to be, but we'll see.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

6/5/17 7:41 PM

Some battery notes:
A lot of people know this, but just in case.
2032 is diameter/thickness or 20/32, IIRC it's mm "3.2"
2025 is just thinner
2032 will usually fit a slot designated '2025' - The benefit is the 32 has more energy, amp-hours, for the same 1.5 volts so they can last longer

It's pretty disappointing to read you didn't get a year out of a freaking 2032. Better keep a spare in the sock drawer, they have decent shelf life.

Brian Nystrom

6/6/17 5:21 AM

IIRC, he barely got a couple of months out of it...

...which leads me to believe that it was likely a defective battery. If this was a common problem with eTAP, we'd have heard about it by now.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

6/6/17 5:57 AM

affirmative

The bike was assembled in January, and not ridden until April. So I'm going with bad battery until proven otherwise. The battery in the other shifter, which gets the same amount of use, is fine.

Reply to topic    

Kramer

6/6/17 6:21 AM

Battieries

I'd go with defective too.

I've had those batteries last years and then then sometimes just months in the same application.

I think some are just duds from poor QC.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -