Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

The Dan~mane Lands
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

4/19/17 6:38 PM

May as well stick it here as well.

This one shows the differences for a 58CM as marked.
That is one short Headtube for the Classics Ed for a 58, smokes. Race Shop same HT lengths apparently.

It appears the Classic Ed and RSL have same Geom unless I missed something...

Although you can add 1CM [+/-] effective HT length as the stack height is increased by the much lower BB drop on the Domanes than the Madone/Emonda.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dfcas

4/19/17 7:19 PM

Thanks for posting the charts. I assume since the rim brake versions use short reach brakes the fork is around 370mm axle-crown. ? And I assume the disc versions have the same height forks since the geometry chart is the same.

Sparky

4/19/17 7:35 PM

I can say the measurements here, Domane VS Madone: the Axle to crown is about 11mm longer on the Domane than the Madone.

Domane Axle to crown is about 386 VS 375 on the Madone. Now I measured along the fork leg, so the actual meas is less by 2-3mm maybe.

It make sense with 72^ HTA and 53mm Rake VS Madone 73.9 HTA and 40mm rake the fork would have to be longer. Benefit being more room for tire/fender etc. Domane being more chopper like. ;)

Did you see the pic I posted with the 10 speed Dura Ace Short Reach calipers on my Domane. The shoe is close to bottomed in the slot in the front and about 2/3s down in the rear.

dfcas

4/20/17 8:10 AM

Yes, I saw the brake picture. Thats how they are able to fit a ~30mm tire in there. I'm planning to off load some inventory so I will have room for another frame in case 1 comes along. I'm done with pure road bikes.

Marc N.

4/20/17 10:56 AM

Done with pure road bikes ?

dfcas - While the Domane is capable of wondering a bit off the road, it is nevertheless a road and not a cross bike. Maybe others would be braver than me, but I would be very weary of wondering too far off something that resembles a reasonable surface. Of course, this is coming from someone who has only ridden a road bike, so maybe I`m not the right one to reply.

Sparky

4/20/17 11:13 AM

Agree with Mark. Unless you are 130lb a 28 or even 30 off piste has limits.

CX bikes I have found have BB drops way less than optimum for non barrier off piste jaunting.

Note the trend of big BB drop for 'gravel' bikes. FWIW, all my favorite rides are 75mm or more BB drop. When you can fit a 38 and bigger you need more drop. CX tend to have small BB drop for 33 CX tires. Put a 42 on there and you may disapprove of the stability ration when off pave.

This coming from some one who spent 10 plus years on motocross a few days a week. On less than smooth terrain. ;)

dfcas

4/20/17 2:22 PM

in my size ~59 or so I consider a pure road bike to have shortish chainstays 41.5cm or less, a head angle 73* or steeper, and tire clearance limited to 28mm, maybe less. A Domane meets none of these criteria. I consider a Domane a sport road bike- 42.5 stays, ~72 head angle, and clearance for a 30mm tire.

My Poprad had 74mm BB drop and my custom ti has 8cm BB drop. I know the Domane is not an offroad bike but I do consider it a rough road bike and the roads we have here now are not worth riding on a road bike.

So I maintain that I don't want anymore pure road bikes. Sport road, yes.

Sparky

4/20/17 2:57 PM

I think a lot of us are 'there' probably... ;)

Marc N.

4/21/17 5:54 AM

dfcas - As much as I bitch about our roads, I`m sure they are better than what you have to contend with. Yes, I think the Domane is a rough road bike, but not more than that. I believe the idea behind the geometry is to answer a demand that has risen with the number of older riders looking for a more comfortable road bike and not to make a road bike that is meant to be ridden off road. After all, this is still a relatively light weight carbon bike that has a maximum rider weight attached to it. And I totally agree with Sparky, that a lot of us are not probably, but are there already. I for sure am.

Sparky

4/21/17 10:53 PM

"Poprad had 74mm BB drop"

My 2010 TCX also have a healthy BB drop, then in 2012 Giant changed it to 55mm drop IIRC.

So you should take my comment regarding CX BB drop for the trend that appeared from about then and forward.

50+ miles on the Damn-money today. I need to lower the bars as I expected...

dan emery

5/5/17 5:01 AM

Nice to be back on the Domane

Took it out yesterday after riding the rented Merckx Sallanches for a week. The Merckx was the right size but had a 100 stem so less reach than I am used to.

Back on the RSL I really prefer the position, so I don't think I'm looking for an endurance geometry. Granted I'm using the RSL with all the spacers where a more aggressive rider would ride it slammed. But I feel like I could sit all day in the hoods.

The RSL is really fun to ride over mixed pavement with the shock absorption, plus being solid as a rock. Let's see.......stiff yet resilient! Feels a bit more lively than the Merckx (also carbon).

Liking the eTap shifting more and more, though the 105 on the Merckx was perfectly adequate.

Adapting to the cornering of the RSL, which is fine but just takes a little more input than the Sachs (which turns through mind control).

Not in love with the standard 11-28 cassette. I prefer the 12-27 on the Sachs. I have no use for the 11 (even with compact crank), and one gap seems bigger than I would like. I suppose the extra tooth won't hurt at some point.

I'm thinking my next trip I may take the bike - more hassle but more fun.

Last edited by dan emery on 5/5/17 5:57 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Campyman

5/5/17 5:46 AM

Domane and Cassettes

I love my Domane, built it up with Chorus mech Groupo.
I agree with you on the difference between Shimano/SRAM and Campy Cassettes. I use a 12/29 cassette.
My wife's Trek Silque SSL came with Ultegra Di2 and the standard 11/28 cassette.
We both run 50/36 cranksets, I barely use the 12 cog and my wife never uses her 11 cog. I wish Shimano and SRAM offered a 12/28 for normal people.

Reply to topic    

Marc N.

5/5/17 7:13 AM

Don`t need the 12 either

My Spectrum has the Campy 13 -29 while the Domane SL came with the 11 - 32. While I need all the help I can get, and it`s nice knowing the 32 is there, but for 99% of the time, I really miss the 13 - 29. For me, both the 11 and 12 are useless, but the gaps later on are a pita. I`ve gotten used to it, but when I take the Spectrum out, I really feel the difference.

Brian Nystrom

5/5/17 10:22 AM

I'm with you, Bro!

I'm still getting by with a 13-26 and a compact crank on the road and really don't need anything more on the high end. The only bikes I have with 11s on them are my off-road bikes, which all have very small chainrings (36, 38 or 38t "big" rings).

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/5/17 10:47 AM

The Domane is getting [along with the Di2 upgrade] a 14-28 Junior cassette with a 34/52 chainring combo I intend to try. Got the last of the Di2 parts yesterday.

I have read the Di2 makes it shift well. Or rather, it covers up the small shift delay/quirk a cable shift would exhibit. The bike will have a GS rear DR and I also have a wheel ready with an 11-32 cassette. I wish it was a 12-32, I never liked an 11 tooth cog nor finds it something I use even. So to me the 11T cog makes my 11 speed cassette a 10 speed cassette.

My thinking is for riding with others that 14-28 has less holes in it, and for climby shit the 32 is one more gear for a bail out. I wind up coasting down the other sides so the 11 is not relevant to me for hilly terrain. A combination of needing to recover and the fact that I do not want to pedal to 45+ MPH. I guess I finally had my brain over-rode my balls.

Anthony Smith

5/8/17 8:38 AM

silly gearing

What in the world are you trying to climb? 54/42 upfront here. Usual 10 sp cassette was a 11-21. Having gone to 11 now its 11-23. I wish someone made an 11 speed 11-21 straight block.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/8/17 10:01 AM

I was still using a 39/53 with a 12-25 for hilly stuff until I broke my right knee. It took 3 years for me to figure out the compact crank would help the pain.

I still limp a little after 50 plus mile rides to this day. Especially if I push lower rpm.

So silly is as silly does I guess...

April

5/8/17 1:28 PM

quote:
What in the world are you trying to climb?

mountains, not just highway overpasses, I suspect.

Brian Nystrom

5/9/17 5:28 AM

Really Anthony...

...it should be really obvious by now that there is a wide variation in the strength and skill of people here. Back in the day, I rode a 53/42 with a 13-18 straight block for everything but road races, where I would put on a 21. But that was nearly 40 years ago and like many here, I've been gradually lowering the gearing on my bikes to compensate for decreasing strength. Perhaps you are one of those fortunate riders who's performance has decreased little with age, but many of us are not so lucky.

That said, even when I was racing, there was only one time when I wished that I had a gear bigger than a 53/13 and that was in a downhill sprint. I never needed it for any other racing situation and certainly not for recreational riding. The gearing that comes on most bikes today is simply ridiculous and completely unsuitable for average recreational riders, who comprise the bulk of the bike market. The move to compact cranks on many models is headed in the right direction, but a 50x11 is still a ridiculously large gear and a 50x12 is only marginally more useful for most riders.

Reply to topic    

Kramer

5/9/17 6:07 AM

The pro's must be a bunch of wimps too....

I'm pretty sure most pro's are riding 53/39 with 11/28 for almost all races now minus PR. They must be on to something.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/9/17 8:30 AM

"Really Anthony"

I figured he was just a much better man than I. ;)

I'd be fine with a 46 for my big ring. Put one on the Reynold 753 Steel bike in fact. I only decided to try the 52/34 due to the $100.00 6800 crankset NIB I just got being a 52/36. And having some extra rings for that newer 4 hole bolt circle. I figured with the 14 on the juniors cassette I'd rather have the 52 than a 50.

I'd add that I don't pedal on descents much, just tuck and girth and gravity usually have me roll past folks pedaling.
Not to mention I really do no want to go 45-50 MPH anymore. Although I do let it out when I know for a fact I won't be traversing roads a car could come out of.

Brian Nystrom

5/9/17 9:04 AM

Anthony's obviously stronger than me...

...but so are a lot of other riders. ;-)

My next road build may have a sub-compact crank (46/30), simply so the 12t cog on the 11-speed cassette will actually be useful to me. We're planning to put one on Linda's 'cross/gravel bike, since the 46/36 is effectively a 1x for her, as she rarely uses the big ring. The 30t inner ring with a 12-32 cassette will give her lower than 1:1 gearing for the 15% grades on some of the dirt road climbs around here.

My next 'cross/gravel bike will have an MTB crank, probably a 40/24, with an 11-25 or 11-27 cassette.

Reply to topic    

PLee

5/9/17 9:15 AM

I think my 30 yr-old Cannondale originally came with a 48/38/28 triple. I may be getting to the point where I need to resurrect that. I still have the parts around somewhere . . .

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/9/17 9:30 AM

Bunch of old farts. I hit 60 on Sunday.

daddy-o

5/9/17 7:59 PM

Must be murder going up any hill you can hit 60 descending.

;o)

Click Here!

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -