View posts since last visit

The Dan~mane Lands
 Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

3/25/17 9:25 PM

The Dan~mane Lands

Lets break out a new thread

No more woes of busted pegs and such. Just the delightful awesomeness of Segafredo Race Shop Limited eTap Domane goodness soon to be wearing out tires.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dfcas

3/26/17 9:12 AM

Thats a great looking bike. it even looks to be my size...

Sparky

4/8/17 1:04 PM

Dan, how goes it?

Dan, how goes it?

dan emery

4/8/17 5:59 PM

It's goin'!

My leg is going well, the bike isn't going anywhere as I can't ride outside yet, hopefully I get cleared for that Tuesday.

I ditched the cane 2 weeks ago, and walk quite a bit (including 2x day with dogs). Occasionally there is some moderate pain with some motions (feels to me like the quad tightening) but then it goes away.

I ride quite well on the computrainer. If the quad is tight it initially may be slightly uncomfortable at the top of the stroke but after a few minutes of warmup I can push it as hard or high cadence as I want. I've been doing some videos a bit scaled back, can do spinups to 130% FTP, paceline, etc. Strength and endurance aren't quite there, but I think the leg is solid. The leg always feels good after riding.

Hopefully next weekend I can bounce the Domane over some bumps.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/8/17 6:05 PM

Sounds good...

dan emery

4/9/17 10:10 AM

Although...

60F, sunny, roads dry, this would be a great day to put the rubber on the road. However I must remain compliant, so I rode a slightly dialed back Two Climbs in Mallorca. I figure the Doc has to release me to ride in Mallorca if I tell him I've already done it inside....

Reply to topic    

dan emery

4/15/17 2:43 PM

Test spin

Of both the bike and the busted leg. Both did well.

I got cleared to ride outside, so I rolled the Domane up and down the road the other day, and took I it out for about an hour today. I'll do a longer ride tomorrow, and Monday the Good Lord and my leg willing.

It is a cool bike. The fit is excellent, very comfortable. I wouldn't want the bars any lower, but they are fine where they are. It is quite good over bumps, though it has a different feel than the RS. Over large bumps it makes a clunk sound (probably the decoupler or seat tube gadget), but once you get used to that not much seems to gets through to the rider. I looked for bumps and pedaled over them without unweighting, and felt no need to back off. So I think the ride will be very good, though I'll know more after taking it over a wider variety of crap pavement and dirt (no shortage of either around here). Felt fine on smooth pavement, including climbs, didn't notice any bounce. I wasn't really trying accelerations, but I think it will jump pretty good.

The cornering is a bit less sharp then the RS, maybe due to the long wheelbase, etc. the Domane obviously is made as an endurance, all day bike, and the cornering is fine, but I'd give the RS the edge in that department.

The eTap shifting is very nice, but I don't see a significant functional advantage over the Chorus mechanical I've used for years. Maybe I'll feel differently after more miles in different conditions. I might get the eTap on another new bike, but I wouldn't upgrade an existing bike. In the bang for the buck dep't I'd put the cash into the frame. I do like the big hoods, and the brakes are excellent, better than Chorus I think. And of course it looks slick and is conceptually cool.

I'll have more thoughts after longer rides with more climbing, and also after I have a bit more juice to put into the pedals. I also look forward to bouncing it over some washboard dirt. But I think it will be a great bike.

My leg again felt a bit tight at the start but after a few minutes felt great, not really any different than before the break. It probably is weaker than the other leg, but that is not noticeable, I don't need to favor it at all. Pedaling motion feels normal, and strength isn't bad - this loop has a couple short sprinter's hills I like to take in the big ring, and I was able to do that better than I expected. Not quite the pop like when I'm in better shape, but not bad at all. The leg didn't tire, but it was a short ride.

So things look good and I look forward to ramping it up.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

4/15/17 4:16 PM

You and Sparky have me thinking about a Domane and I'm not sure I can learn all the models , tubing differences, and geometries. I know I want a tall headtube 60. I assume I want the decoupler on both the fork and seatpost.

Congrats on finally getting to ride your new bike Dan.

Sparky

4/15/17 5:17 PM

Glad to hear you got there. Enjoy the Domane, but enjoy your legs even more now that you got them [both] back! ;)

"not sure I can learn all the models , tubing differences, and geometries"

Well, read all my drivel and ask as many questions as you like. I think I can add value to questions regarding the levels, 4/5/6 RSL etc from all the research I have done.

Being the RaceShopLimited was not on the table for me, I did do a Endurance GEOM version on the deal I got on the Series 6. But I'll bet the bank a RSL 60CM with H1 is in my future. Just not at full on retail or anything close...

So as much as it is more like the Roubaix geometry, I will have to see how the non twitchy front end has my druthers go directional wise. [pun intended]. I like a fast neutral low trail twitchy race front end for the most part.

Make sure you add the extra BB drop on a 60 Domane to the head tube length calculation. The 60 for me would have the bars too high at lowest when I calculated in the BB drop. I already see loosing one of the two 10CM spacer I started out with on the 58 I opted for. And remember, the front center, chainstays, and wheelbase are longer on the Domane. Thus is like the Roubaix 58 IMO fits a touch bigger. All my go fast bikes are 60-61.

In a nut shell, there are Domanes choices I believe.
Endurance, RaceShopLimited, and Classic Series [replace with RSL].

-Endurance: calmer & shorter GEOM.
-RSL, basically H1 Emonda GEOM with big tire fit and longer chainstays.
-Classics Series, +1CM longer wheelbase with H1 head tubes with almost Madone/Emonda front geom, but not quite as aggressive. This is what I really thought I wanted and almost landed.

All quite low BB drop 8-10mm more than Madones and Emonda. Most 42.5CM chainstays [did not look small sizes]

Classic Series are 2013-14.

I have all the geometry charts, posted them already, or most of them.

dan emery

4/16/17 10:17 AM

OK now I'm in love

Took the Domane out for about 2 hours today on a varied route. The real eye opener was taking it over a pretty gnarly dirt road with lots of small, water filled holes. I've ridden this plenty of times on a cross bike. The Domane, with 26mm road tires @90psi, crushed it. There is nothing soft or bouncy about it, you always feel you are on a stiff, controlled road bike. When you hit a big bump you feel the initial impact in a quite muted way, but then it is gone and you are on your way - no vibration, aftershock, you're not even aware of any movement. So it's a blast to pedal right through the bumps seated. I can see how this would be great for racing over cobbles.

Meanwhile it is solid and smooth on the flats and climbing. Basically it does everything pretty well, I think. As I mentioned before, the cornering is not quick, but OTOH the bike is extremely stable - very easy to sit up and ride no hands. Good deep into a hard ride when you're tired, which I guess is the point.

One nice thing about the eTap shifting is that it does front shifts under load very well - I know this because I still occasionally go to downshift with my right hand, which of course is an upshift...

I am satisfied that the bike rides sufficiently differently from the RS that it is worth having both.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/16/17 11:10 AM

Mallorca?? or is it Majorca...

Does the front auto trim like DI2 does? And as far as front shifting, the 11 speed Shimano seemed a good just cabled. But with Di2 it is instantaneous, even at lower RPMs.

But I am not sure how serious to take Dan's word on the Domane. After all, it might be like not having sex for the same amount of time he has been off the bike. The first/next few times you might have your opinion skewed a little. ;) ;O

66^ and sunny with low wind today here. 1st real spring day, I will be out on the Domane most of the day. New toy and like that.

I totally agree with Dan's assertions thus far. Muted, but not in an early OCLV dead woody way.

Just ordered my last two pieces for a second Di2 group. Started with 164.00 6870 11 speed STIs, and a mint used 75.00 RD-6870-SS derailleur.

I will only have one battery for two bikes at first, How long I wonder before I take a Di2 bike in the car to go for a ride and realize I have no battery I wonder. ;) I also got a set of Sprinter shifters as the 6870 STI gave the 3ed ports for them...

dan emery

4/16/17 3:55 PM

Mallorca etc

Still planning to head to Mallorca a week from today. Not going to do the event, which is very difficult, just ride. Now I'm thinking I'll probably just rent a bike rather than bringing one of mine. I'd bring one of mine for an event, but a rental is fine for casual riding and much less hassle, including hauling stuff through the airport with a bad leg. The two hours today pretty much knocked me out so I'm not going to be doing epic rides.

As to eTap front auto trimming, I suppose so as I only know how to shift it and it works fine.

82F here today.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/16/17 5:18 PM

82^ in Maine??

I just got back from a 30+ Domane-miler. We got the 67-8^ but the sun only showed for 30-40 seconds a few times. The real bitch was the 13-14MPH steady headwind going out. So much for the 6MPH wind forecast I referred to above. We turned and heard no wind noise until we hit 15.

I found myself in the 50 tooth ring a lot even into the wind on the bike. Bike feels slower but there is no doubt it is faster. I tried upping tire pressures being the Frame is so bump friendly, 95lb even with these fatties. Thinking lower Rollin Resistance.

Front is almost 31mm GP4, rear and old Axial Pro 25mm which is like 28.5 on the A23 rims.

It appears that the buffering carries over to the pressure points of the saddle on your butt/contact points as well.

It is easy to like this bike I can say.

Last edited by Sparky on 4/17/17 10:19 AM; edited 1 time in total

Brian Nystrom

4/17/17 6:43 AM

"I like a fast neutral low trail twitchy race front end

Sparky, you are truly a man of contradictions... ;-)

It hit 80 here yesterday and I took advantage of it to do my first ride of the year in shorts and short sleeves. It'll be in the 70's today, but between my ride on Friday and yesterday, I've gotten in 80 miles and I need a couple of recovery days. My poor, old bod is really pissed at me right now for going too hard/long this early in the season (I realize that this is nothing to many of you, but I'm hitting the big "6-O" on Wednesday and I'm feeling every bit of it).

Sadly, the temps are going back down tomorrow, but at least we've had a real taste of spring.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/17/17 10:01 AM

Different hammers for different nails I guess. The jury may still be out on the front end and me ultimately getting used to it in the long run. But not objectionable thus far. The first time I blow a line in a tight turn...

Happy b-day, I am on your heals. 5/7 is my 60th. I don't dwell on my body pains much. I do have an extra day of recovery needed I did not 10 years ago if I ride hard and long...

But I did finally get a lawn mower that pulls itself for my 1/2 acre of grass. So I can mow and ride in the same day. :)

If it was 80 here I would have ridden until I fell off the bike...

Brian Nystrom

4/18/17 4:27 AM

What makes you assume...

...that I didn't fall off the bike? ;-)

Reply to topic    

greglepore

4/18/17 9:11 AM

Man, we need some young blood in this forum, I think our median age is approaching Medicare eligibility.

Sparky

4/18/17 10:08 AM

yeah, when your SS statement comes and you actually start looking at it....

Marc N.

4/18/17 11:38 AM

Tell me about it

I recently got my senior citizen card (67)..movies, public transportation, museums, etc at half price or free...lucky me !!
Brian - happy birthday !!
dfcas - If you read Sparky`s post, you really can get confused. Fortunately, while most of those options aren`t available here, I knew that I wanted the endurance geometry, and I couldn`t be happier with the bike. Its ability to absorb riding over crappy roads is outstanding and is especially apparent on descents where it inspires confidence.

Sparky

4/18/17 12:03 PM

"If you read Sparky`s post, you really can get confused"

I hoped to add value, if I can clear/clean any of it up, I'd like to.

If it just a case of TMI, not sure how I'd do it. ;)

I had forgot Marc also just got one after the Roubaix VS Domane posts...

Happy Passover BTW. ;)

I can Sum up Domanes by saying current new and probably leftover inventory will be Endurance, or for $1000.00 extra the US made Race Shop OCLV 700 Series upgrade via Project one.

Marc N.

4/18/17 9:02 PM

Not meant as criticism

Sparky - I meant that you give so much information that what might have been clear suddenly becomes blurred. As I said, while I was sure that I wanted the Endurance, I think it is a good thing that the RCL / Project 1 options aren`t available here, as sometimes thinking leads to overthinking.
Was talking to a friend who last year bought an Emonda, and he asked me why I chose the Domane, After stating my reasons, he went on to explain that he is changing his handlebars to try to lessen the jolts he is getting from riding our roads.

Sparky

4/18/17 9:21 PM

"he went on to explain that he is changing his handlebars to try to lessen the jolts he is getting from riding our roads."

Me too on the Madone. I just got some TUX bars I will put on it and not on the Domane as originally planned.. [said this already someplace here] The 4 Series fork has the alloy steer tube. The 4 Domane I test rode in 2013 also did. I think this fork is harsh, the 6 series Domane is not harsh.

Sparky

4/19/17 1:10 PM

I took the Domane out and really hammered it on a second ride last eve. Sunset is getting later these days, and earlier ride which I had to sneak in was short.

With attack type out of the saddle hammers and unseated climbs jamming short hills I experienced no GEOM-olies that were discouraging.

She is going to the front of the queue.

dfcas

4/19/17 5:36 PM

I can't find the geometry on the Trek site. How many geometries are there? Sparky do you have a link for them?

Sparky

4/19/17 6:30 PM

Here you are: 2 geoms for the current Domane. There is a third for the Domane Classics Edition which 2014 I believe was the last year. These were made in limited numbers. I have that Geom Chart as well if you would like...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -