HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Safety lighting

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
KerryIrons

3/19/17 8:00 AM

Safety lighting

I've just come into possession of a set of front/rear (white/red) strobes lights. I've seen folks riding with flashers and they are really visible, so I'm leaning toward regular use of these things for daytime riding. I no longer have a commute that requires lighting for my own ability to see, so these will be strictly for motorists to see me.

How many of you are doing this? What have been your experiences? I like the idea of improved safety but it will add just one more layer of complexity to daily rides - I'll probably have to set up a charging station in the garage with USB ports, etc.

Comments?

Reply to topic    

Marc N.

3/19/17 10:19 AM

Lights

For years I too rode without lights, but since my return to regular riding after 7 years of running, I now ride with a 65 lumens blinking light in the back and a 350 strobe in the front. To be honest, while I feel that they are both effective and serve a purpose, I think the front one is even more important than the light in the rear. If nothing else, they give me the feeling of being more visible, and therefore, safer.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

3/19/17 11:22 AM

I use a rechargeable 60 Lumen blinky also for day rides. Sefas claims @ night @ 55 MPH a mile visibility.

I'd like to get a front strobe that is both rechargeable and small for front. I have a flashlight that works great for this, but too bulky, so I use at night only. And the highest setting at night gets me walkers yelling at me to aim it down. So I keep it loose enough to divert the beam so I don't burn folks optic nerves out...

So interested in the conversation as to the front smaller offerings and what you all might recommend.

I am totally happy with the Serfas blinky that USB recharges. I get 2.5-3 hours on the high setting.

Marc N.

3/19/17 12:42 PM

Bontrager

Sparky - My front light is a Bontrager Ion 350 Rt. It is small (listed weight is 78 grams), rechargeable, and my only complaint is the charging port is in the bottom front, and is inconvenient to get to. Other than that, I am pleased with it. I have to add, that I don`t ride at night, although in the summer I do get out a bit before first light on Saturdays, and at late dusk during the week...not dark but definitely conditions where you need a light.If I would ride at night, I would go with something bigger.

henoch

3/19/17 1:18 PM

I have some really powerful light that I use for MTB night rides, but they also have a daylight strobe feature, I have occasionally used them for daytime rides on my road bike.
I am fan of both Niterider and Cygolite, I have a Cygolite 800 front and and Hotshot rear.
I also have a Niterider Solas 150 that is a Super bright rear light and I just picked up a Niterider Swift 350, which is a great little front light.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

3/19/17 1:54 PM

I hate the things, but I also think that you need any layer of defense available to break thru the distractions that are routine now for drivers. I use a blackburn flea on the front, and a cygolite 100lm rear strobe. I think they make the bike ugly, but feel I have no choice.

As much as I love my black gabba this time of year, I find myself wearing a fluro yellow Capo Lombardia I bought cheap last season because its fluro.

greglepore

3/19/17 1:57 PM

I hate the things, but I also think that you need any layer of defense available to break thru the distractions that are routine now for drivers. I use a blackburn flea on the front, and a cygolite 100lm rear strobe. I think they make the bike ugly, but feel I have no choice.

As much as I love my black gabba this time of year, I find myself wearing a fluro yellow Capo Lombardia I bought cheap last season because its fluro.

Tom Price

3/19/17 2:12 PM

Bontrager Flare R

I have used a taillight for about 4 years and have been very happy with it. There is a huge increase in the distance that cars give you when passing.

I originally used a Blackburn Flea 2.0. It is ultra small and easy to mount and recharge. The light output is decent, probably about 20 lumens. This taillight is discontinued but there are some on eBay for$12. There also is a front and rear combo pack listed for $21. This would be a good way to try a decent taillight for a small outlay.

Last summer I was walking through the grass in a park near a bike path and my wife found a Bontrager Flare R . It must have fallen off a passing bike. This light is amazing, it is rated at 65 lumens with 2km visibility. It is too bright to use at full power when riding in a group. You can not go wrong with this light.

Rickk

3/20/17 4:58 AM

quote:
...but I also think that you need any layer of defense available

I agree, and have begun using them often on daily commutes. Not yet in fast group rides although there are sometimes a couple cyclists who use them in our group

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

3/20/17 5:11 AM

I don't bother with a front light during the day, but I've habitually used a blinking LED taillight as a matter of course ever since they first became available. Even on a sunny day they can be easily seen from several hundred metres away.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

3/20/17 5:27 AM

NEVER!

Daytime flashers are a major annoyance to other riders and to drivers, particularly the white front lights which serve essentially no useful purpose other than at intersections with oncoming traffic. When I see front strobes, my first instinct is that I wish I could smack the rider up aside the head for being such an inconsiderate jerk! I can see see some point in them if you have an urban commute, but not on the open road.

I use lights at night or in low visibility conditions like fog or snow, but that's it. I make myself visible by wearing bright clothing and not being timid on the road. That's worked just fine for 45+ years and I don't piss anyone off in the process.

Reply to topic    

April

3/20/17 8:18 AM

I agree with Brian flashing lights are annoying in group rides. But I don't find it annoying as a driver. Instead, I do find it stand out nicely. Base on my own observation, I wouldn't hesitate to put a front light on.

That said, for the same reason as Nick, I don't bother. I felt the benefit is small. More over, I have narrow bar, space on bar top is at a premium.

I only use a front light in late fall and winter when I have high probability of getting caught on the road at twilight.

And commuting in NYC.

JohnC

3/20/17 11:14 AM

Commuting, I use both front white blinky (bright, but pointed well down), and rear red. Some part of the route have a lot of traffic, and this is an area with lots of trees, so with the low sun angle early and late in the day I'm going in and out of shadows, and I think the lights help me be seen further away. In winter the evening commute is in the dark, so lots of lights (and reflective material).

Weekend recreational road rides I use the rear light, but not the front, since I'm usually avoiding higher traffic areas.

quote:
the white front lights which serve essentially no useful purpose other than at intersections with oncoming traffic.

I think that's a pretty damn important purpose, personally, and that's why I use them (in urban areas, as you noted). And unless it's a very bright light pointed too high, I really can't see how it's much of an annoyance except to people who've chosen to be annoyed by it.

On MUTs, unless it's dark, I agree that a front light is useless and inconsiderate.

I wear bright colors, too. Shorts and tights are black, but jerseys, shirts and jackets are visible colors. No black, gray or brown stealth livery for me.

In short, all my bikes have at least a red blinky in back. Charging is not a big issue. Most of my lights have removable (AA or AAA) batteries, and I use Nimh rechargeables and a smart charger. I think the high-capacity low-self-discharge types, though they're the most expensive, make the most sense for convenience.

Sparky

3/20/17 11:44 AM

"that's a pretty damn important purpose, personally, and that's why I use them"

And why I just ordered a rechargeable front unit. Will try the Flea 2.0 first.

I can think of not bad reason to do this on the routes I traverse. Said routes 'IS' why I am doing this now. We will see if it make more space for me when approaching *.*

Yesterday was typical, not that a front blinky would matter in this situation. Bike path 'IS' on a widened sidewalk to the main road crossing. Gal in Prius and I get to the corner at the same time. She did not see me what-so-ever.

She was alternating looking left and then down at her phone on her lap. Now, 'at any corner/crossing' [no less a marked crosswalk] all cars must yield to ped or cyclist ready to enter the crosswalk.

I knew better. She actually looked back down at her phone after the last left look to see that oncoming cars ceased enough for her to get onto the busier road... AS SHE TURNED ONTO road road which I was right at the crosswalk waiting to cross. I was invisible.

PS: RIP Chuck Berry

daddy-o

3/20/17 11:56 AM

I finally heard the story behind Roll Over Beethoven yesterday. His sister was hogging the piano with classical practice. Chuck wanted to rock. Roll over Beethoven, tell Tchaikovsky the news. Duck walking!

Sorry guys, I clicked the thread for lights too.

Steve B.

3/20/17 4:02 PM

A buddy who rides quiet deserted roads in Utah got me in the habit of using a front white blinker so been doing this for 5 or 6 years now and ALWAYS while commuting.

I noticed right away that cars wanting to turn across my path, or pulling out of a side street, parking lot, etc... were more likely to wait, having seemingly seen my front light. Scientific ?, nope, but I DID notice the difference. Thus I ride with a front blinking while on solo rides. I use the front on group rides as well as do my buddies, we are all blinking away as nobody in the group really notices. The rear blinking red on a bike in front of me can get annoying though.

Rear red I assume helps, but there's no science behind this, it's just something you hope helps. My attitude about the rear red is just possibly catching the attention of a teenager who's head is otherwise buried in their phone. Cheap insurance in that case.
I do make an effort to turn off my F and R when on commuting on the long stretches of bike path and boardwalk, assuming nobody really wants or needs to see that.

And as I'm laying on the pavement having been hit, at least I might have an opportunity to state "what do you mean you didn't SEE me ?".

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/20/17 5:11 PM

"what do you mean you didn't SEE me ?"

I was looking at my phone, but I will deny I said that to you when the cops get here. The ones that don't hit and run that is...

I will be 60 on 5/7, cynicism enzymes are getting in full force I find...

April

3/20/17 9:49 PM

front light and MUT

I don't use my lights in bike path until dark. But I've seen people who do. I also do not find it bothersome. Majority of them pointed low (to illuminate the path, not so much to be "seen") So is my front light. Still, I see them if they blink. So purpose is served without negative effect

The only time when a light is bothersome is for the higher power ones. It's also those high power light that needs frequent recharging. My commuter bike has only the kind of light that don't need much recharging. I put the on blink mode to get attention, and on steady mode if I'm riding on bike path in the dark. I don't need to charge the battery for like weeks. The rear blinker last the entire winter season!

I do have a very powerful front light when I used to mountain bike. I only use that one a few times a year when I do actual NIGHT RIDE, either off-road or group night rides as special events. That light is so bright I had to be careful where I look (it's helmet mounted). It has a bar mount but I never use it. I supposed if I mount it on the bar, I need to be careful how high I aim it.

daddy-o

3/20/17 10:25 PM

My problem with LED lights is the ones I've used blink or shine apparently well but when I put in new batteries or charge them they are noticeably brighter. A while back I tested them with a camera and the low charge was a couple of f-stops dimmer. You guys confirmed that simple LED circuits are like that, not necessarily a sharp drop at a threshold. This is a cautionary note more than anything, something to be on the lookout for when you change/charge.

April

3/21/17 10:38 AM

I noticed that too. And now remembered this had been discussed here before.

I don't do "real ride" at night. And my commute is in the city where there's street light except on the bike path. So I don't really need the power/brightness to see (can't go fast on bike path anyway). By leaving both the front and rear on blink mode, it's good enough to get attention without needing a lot of lumen.

I'm reminded to recharge usually when I turn it on steady mode on the bike path and it's not bright enough even for the low speed I was going.

p.s.
With Citibike, I don't do much commuting in the dark these days. I simply ride CitiBike to work in the morning, talk or take subway home after work. No more riding in the dark.

JohnC

3/22/17 12:51 PM

quote:
My problem with LED lights is the ones I've used blink or shine apparently well but when I put in new batteries or charge them they are noticeably brighter. A while back I tested them with a camera and the low charge was a couple of f-stops dimmer. You guys confirmed that simple LED circuits are like that, not necessarily a sharp drop at a threshold. This is a cautionary note more than anything, something to be on the lookout for when you change/charge.

True, but manageable. First, the better quality (more expensive) lights have circuitry to regulate the voltage getting to the LED, so they maintain standard brightness until the battery voltage falls too low, then stop all at once.

Second, and this works even with the cheap ones (I have a number of them), with Nimh batteries (unlike the older NiCad), there's no damage caused by "topping up" the batteries before they're fully discharged. So when in doubt, recharge. On the bikes I commute on, I recharge every weekend, regardless of their status. I'm probably often recharging a battery that's only down 15-20%, but I'm always getting full performance.

Edit: the frequent-charging approach also works with the lights that use a USB cable for recharging, since they use lithium ion batteries like a laptop or cellphone.

Last edited by JohnC on 3/23/17 9:41 AM; edited 1 time in total

Nick Payne

3/22/17 10:27 PM

Useful site here: https://www.bikelightdatabase.com/

Reply to topic    

PLee

3/23/17 7:13 AM

I love these for New York City riding, where there's enough streetlights that you don't need a light to see where you're going.

https://www.blackburndesign.com/lights/click-combo-1.html

Small enough to be inconspicuous and out of the way, bright enough to be noticed.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -