HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Small Solace

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
lrzipris

3/13/17 9:51 AM

Small Solace

I'm sure the money will be extremely helpful to the couple, but cannot provide real compensation. In today's local newspaper:

MEDIA, Pa. (AP) - A jury says the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation should pay $5.4 million to a man who suffered severe brain injuries when his bicycle crashed on a bridge that was in disrepair.

The Delaware County Daily Times (http://bit.ly/2lTeHZJ ) reports the jury ruled Wednesday in favor of 63-year-old David Carletti. The jury awarded Carletta $2.4 million for lost wages and medical expenses and $2 million for future suffering. His wife, Brenda, received $1 million for loss of consortium.

The Boothwyn man was riding over trolley tracks near the Springfield Mall when he hit a bump in May 2012 that was caused by road crews who had patched a damaged section of the bridge. State attorneys had argued PennDOT was immune, but the jury disagreed because the state had notice of the dangerous conditions.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

3/13/17 11:28 AM

A few more of these...

...and perhaps they will start to attract the attention they deserve. If it gets too expensive to ignore cyclists' safety, maybe state DOTs will start taking the problem seriously.

Reply to topic    

lrzipris

3/13/17 3:14 PM

Nearby, PennDOT responded to one troublesome RR crossing by placing a "Cyclists Dismount" sign.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/13/17 4:03 PM

I expected a review of a 50CM Scott Solace disc bike...

;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

greglepore

3/14/17 6:47 AM

Isn't Penndot subject to the 500k cap like all Commonwealth agencies?

April

3/14/17 9:19 AM

quote:
Nearby, PennDOT responded to one troublesome RR crossing by placing a "Cyclists Dismount" sign.

New York has been doing that for many years.

A buddy of mine crashed badly also on a bridge. She will never be able to ride again as a result of her injury.

She got a lot less. And the suit was only able to go ahead because the existing "Cyclist dicmount" sign wasn't visible in the direction we approached. ( DOT did fixed the bridge AND added more "dismount" signs)!

KerryIrons

3/15/17 9:25 AM

Notice

The key point in the case was that the state had been notified of the dangerous condition and did nothing about it. And has also been noted, all they needed to do was put up a sign and they would have been off the hook - they didn't have to fix the hazard. My civil engineering structural friends bitch that if one of their buildings falls down, they are in big trouble but if the road builder civil engineers screw up, all they have to do is put up a "rough road" sign.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -