Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Portland OR shop inquiry

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
daddy-o

3/8/17 8:20 AM

Portland OR shop inquiry

Gladys Bikes

My daughter is getting a tune-up and she asked my opinion of the bill. For someone who owns the right tool for most of the jobs I thought it was outrageous. ;o) For someone who doesn't own those tools I thought it was okay and there was evidence they were not gouging her.

Last edited by daddy-o on 3/8/17 8:28 AM; edited 2 times in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

daddy-o

3/8/17 8:24 AM

Just out of curiosity, pasting in emoji

This is a simple smiley face, a millennial take on a 1970 icon.

🙂

Can any/everyone see this? Or is it just characters representing a missing font?

Sparky

3/8/17 10:26 AM

Worst part is the minimum wage the LBSs here pay VS the high prices they charge. You'd think they were Audi dealers.

Reviews show that shop has very high ratings on a quick google. "Gladys Bikes - Portland's Women*-Focused Bike Shop"

The Shop I worked for in 2012 charged a guy 240.00 to move him part to a new warranty frame.

It was his second frameset under warranty FWIW. It did include new cables and bar tape etc. That seemed like highway robbery to me. So what, like 500.00 for two warranty frame swap overs. Cake for the LBS owner, rip off for the patron.

That said, the Bike Gallery Franchise with 5-6 stores which I got the Madone from charged me 20.00 to diddle my Di2 Programming. Saved me buying the 135.00 interface.

daddy-o

3/8/17 12:47 PM

Thanks, this is ~$180 for a tune up, itemized. She brought their attention to a tire she thought was suspect and they didn't interpret it to be sales bait, i.e. they didn't bite.

Being a woman focused shop is a good selling point for her.

Did the emoji appear or did it look something like & # 1 2 8 5 7 8 ; ?

Geez, characterset is a six digit number. I'm sure someone else here remembers when it was 256.

Sparky

3/8/17 4:09 PM

I see the smiley/emoji, sorry. I forgot to say so after the brain scramble of my usual few word replies.

"this is ~$180 for a tune up, itemized"

Like to see the itemized list. That sounds like some new cables and housings, bar tape, or perhaps a chain etc...

Here, you get a Gatorskin folding and they tag you 80.00 plus the tube and 16.00 or more to install. So you get to 100.00 pretty fast. ;)

There are so many commuters here on bike, the LBS are like mechanic shops around a big college campus. They know the parents can afford the bill, and can't afford not to afford it. ;0

Case in point. I actually drove to IOWA from TN to put a $113.00 fuel pump in my Kids UNI conveyance instead of sending $470.00 to pay the thieves to do it. It took me 20 minutes to install. I am all for capitalism, but fook off!

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -